National Trail

National Trail is a 15.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

This trail runs the length of South Mountain Bring plenty of water as this is a long hike. Lots of rocks, no water on this trail. I was eight miles into it before I saw anyone.

Good hike/ run. Very rocky and buddy this past Saturday. But a great workout for the day with the hills and elevation

Completed on Feb 6, 2016. My first hike on South Mountain and was surprised by it's beauty at every turn. The terrain changes as often as the city views. Completed "Coast to Coast" in just over 6 hours and registered 17 miles on my tracker. Perfect time of year for this type of hike. Will keep it as a tradition.

this is a great hike to push your endurance. there is NO water available. it took us 8 hrs to hike this.

My favorite stretch of National Trail is that between Bursera and Pyramid, and in fact you can hike these three trails in a loop that begins by going up Bursera and ends by climbing down Pyramid. I've hiked a majority of the length of National so far, and I've enjoyed every step of the way. Great trail.

Well We decided to go from the west end to East end of South Mountain with the National trail. We parked at the Pima Canyon trail head (get there early, or you will end up parking on 48th St an additional mile from the parking lot). We then drove over to 43rd Ave and Estrella and parked the dead end and hike the .5 miles to the San Juan trail head. We continued along the National Trail, stopping for lunch and a few caches along the way. Made it to the end of the National trail, and hiked out to the Pima Canyon Trail head. The most painful part was the last mile down to the car on 48th Street. It was about 90 degrees and we started at 8am and made it to the car at 4:30pm. Long day...but worth it! We each had 3L plus and additional 1.5L and the guy of our group ran out of water close to the end.