National to Hidden Valley to Mormon Loop

National to Hidden Valley to Mormon Loop is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 839 feet Route Type: Loop

I ran/walked this route plus a few extra offshoots, did 8.2 miles in a little under two hours according to Strava. It was beautiful, I love hiking in the desert and it really offers a different experience than what we have on the east coast. For the most part, the trail is easy-moderate, I was able to run a lot of it, it does get rocky at certain points, requiring me to slow down. I went on a Tuesday around 4:30 PM, plenty of walkers/runners/bikers but not so many that it was obnoxious. Beautiful cool weather on a February afternoon! I'm sure I will come back.

Beautiful day and probably one of my favorite hikes! The views are amazing!!! Nice variety in the trail - from large step-like boulders, to sandy stones. You weave up and down and go through the Hidden Valley Tunnel. It was confusing when you get to the scramble area and try to figure out how to continue on to get to Fat Man's Pass. We managed to climb over those boulders and forge ahead. I was able to get through FMP, my husband, however, did not want to be THAT man in 2018 that got stuck and had to be rescued by the Phoenix Fire Department. He climbed over the walls. Really d this hike!!!

Great view of the city for a long distance. Excellent trail conditions. Hiking along the top of the mountain a good distance. One of our favorite trails

Fun trail, really enjoy the hidden valley. It’s a great area to jog, and fat mans pass has a fun natural slide.

Great workout, good incline, and rock scrabbling. We did the mormon loop and stayed right to national trail, then back on the mormon loop to trailhead (counter clockwise). Beautiful views of the city, and you also drop down into some canyons. Quite a few hikers, runners and mountainbikers. We went on a Saturday morning, starting about 8:30 and were done by 11. No bathroom at trailhead, FYI.

This was a great trail, although we did not actually do the loop. We started clockwise from main parking lot in the directions here. Turned off to the ‘tunnel’ and came back to National Trail. Then when we should have turned right and gone UP, we kept straight...and ended up at Trailhead for Mormon Trail. Signage at that intersection was not great-said in the opposite side that to do the Mormon Loop you had to do National. Makes sense now but just wasn’t intuitive then. Rock scrambles were good, loose gravel rock in places, hiking shoes a must. We got to the main trailhead parking lot mentioned in directions around 1030 on a Sunday and had to park along the road and walk about half mile from the car

Amazing trail, we had areas that it wasn’t clear that the path was literally going climbing on boulders, kinda hard for my 75lb German Shepherd but we got through! She loves every minute of it! Will do again!

Could only go half way cause it was my boys first time back since last winter and I didn’t want him to over do it. The trail is well maintained and perfect for my boy other than the no shade. My dog wasn’t happy about that lol. That’s normal here in the valley though.

Great trail it took me about 2 and a half hours to complete but I took my time. I’d recommend going right and working your way back down the left side. Beautiful views throughout

it is great tracking course for moderate

Loved this trail! Found fat man's pass, and some petroglyphs as well as old ruins.

Took 5 teenagers on this trail. They absolutely loved it! They loved Fat Man’s Pass and climbing on all the boulders on Hidden Valley. Fun trail!

great trail as it is challenging in some areas then you get a rest then moderate again. took our 3yr old. she did great in the easier parts. carried her through the rest in our hiking carrier. one part we had to have her slide down the rock after fat man pass to get to Mormon loop. she thought that was a blast.

Sun Feb 17 2019

Enjoyed this hike today but would rate it as moderate - not easy. Portions of the Trail require some work as you climb up and down rocks. It was fun but would not recommend taking young children.

Sat Feb 16 2019

sweet tunnel on hidden valley trail

Hidden Valley, the trail after Fat Man’s Pass was hard to follow. When you get to the boulders, the trail continues to the right between the boulders.