Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

National to Hidden Valley to Mormon Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(270)
South Mountain Preserve

National to Hidden Valley to Mormon Loop is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and running and is best used from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 839 feet Route Type: Loop

This was such a fun hike. It has nice mild parts and challenging parts so you get the best of both worlds. Just make sure you're on the lookout for bikers.

This trail has everything. Open road with a lot of hikers / mountain bikers, old stone houses, some incline on the national trail to hidden valley, Ana amazing rock tunnel and fatmans pass, sweeping views on Mormon loop. Probably my favorite “moderate” trail in Phoenix to be honest. Reminds me a little of Tom’s Thumb for North Valley people. A must do in my book!

Took the wash trail which is less traveled. Easy to follow but more technical so don’t go if you can’t walk and chew gum at the same time

nice leisure trail, with couple good hills to get heart rate up.

I ran/walked this route plus a few extra offshoots, did 8.2 miles in a little under two hours according to Strava. It was beautiful, I love hiking in the desert and it really offers a different experience than what we have on the east coast. For the most part, the trail is easy-moderate, I was able to run a lot of it, it does get rocky at certain points, requiring me to slow down. I went on a Tuesday around 4:30 PM, plenty of walkers/runners/bikers but not so many that it was obnoxious. Beautiful cool weather on a February afternoon! I'm sure I will come back.

Beautiful day and probably one of my favorite hikes! The views are amazing!!! Nice variety in the trail - from large step-like boulders, to sandy stones. You weave up and down and go through the Hidden Valley Tunnel. It was confusing when you get to the scramble area and try to figure out how to continue on to get to Fat Man's Pass. We managed to climb over those boulders and forge ahead. I was able to get through FMP, my husband, however, did not want to be THAT man in 2018 that got stuck and had to be rescued by the Phoenix Fire Department. He climbed over the walls. Really d this hike!!!

Great view of the city for a long distance. Excellent trail conditions. Hiking along the top of the mountain a good distance. One of our favorite trails

Fun trail, really enjoy the hidden valley. It’s a great area to jog, and fat mans pass has a fun natural slide.

Great workout, good incline, and rock scrabbling. We did the mormon loop and stayed right to national trail, then back on the mormon loop to trailhead (counter clockwise). Beautiful views of the city, and you also drop down into some canyons. Quite a few hikers, runners and mountainbikers. We went on a Saturday morning, starting about 8:30 and were done by 11. No bathroom at trailhead, FYI.

This was a great trail, although we did not actually do the loop. We started clockwise from main parking lot in the directions here. Turned off to the ‘tunnel’ and came back to National Trail. Then when we should have turned right and gone UP, we kept straight...and ended up at Trailhead for Mormon Trail. Signage at that intersection was not great-said in the opposite side that to do the Mormon Loop you had to do National. Makes sense now but just wasn’t intuitive then. Rock scrambles were good, loose gravel rock in places, hiking shoes a must. We got to the main trailhead parking lot mentioned in directions around 1030 on a Sunday and had to park along the road and walk about half mile from the car

Amazing trail, we had areas that it wasn’t clear that the path was literally going climbing on boulders, kinda hard for my 75lb German Shepherd but we got through! She loves every minute of it! Will do again!

Could only go half way cause it was my boys first time back since last winter and I didn’t want him to over do it. The trail is well maintained and perfect for my boy other than the no shade. My dog wasn’t happy about that lol. That’s normal here in the valley though.

Great trail it took me about 2 and a half hours to complete but I took my time. I’d recommend going right and working your way back down the left side. Beautiful views throughout

Sun May 19 2019

Sat Apr 13 2019

it is great tracking course for moderate

Sat Mar 30 2019

Loved this trail! Found fat man's pass, and some petroglyphs as well as old ruins.

Tue Mar 26 2019

Took 5 teenagers on this trail. They absolutely loved it! They loved Fat Man’s Pass and climbing on all the boulders on Hidden Valley. Fun trail!