Munds Wagon Trail to Merry Go Round Rock

Munds Wagon Trail to Merry Go Round Rock is a 6.4 mile out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I would not recommend this trail. First the good: The area is beautiful. The hike is a steady gradual climb all the way up and descent all the way back. The weather in May was very nice. And the negative: The trail is paralleled all the way by a 4X4 dirt road. The 4X4 road is very heavily traveled by Jeeps many of which are open air tour Jeeps. So the entire hike I'm hearing Jeeps groaning up the hill and chatter from the bucket seat hikers. Some of the Jeep tours even use speaker systems. When I got to the top of the Wheel, I continued hiking a couple more miles up. When I came back down to the Wheel overhang there were 6' folding tables set up with Champagne for the bucket seat hikers. For me it took away from a hiking experience and fit perfectly with my too touristy perception of Sedona. I would recommend the Cow Pies trail instead to get some relief from the tour guides

My wife and I hiked this trail today. It was a good hike, great company and nice day.

Beautiful. Just right up and downs. Great taste of the Sedona area....go all the way to carousel rock!
Our first hike when we got to Sedona and it set the bar high. We went all the way to the carousel and the views were breathtaking. It was a cloudy kinda day so the colors of the mountains were vivid. Worth every step and a good workout!

Gorgeous views & diverse terrain made for a great trail run. For the most part easy to follow & well marked. I had to find my location on a downloaded map a handful of times. Not too crowded early in the morning. The trailhead requires a redrock parking pass but was very easy to purchase via vending machine.

Started from schnebley hill rd about 2 km west of the interstate and joined Munds wagon at the eastern trailhead. Though a longer hike it wasn’t strenuous with almost no elevation gain and mostly a descent . Up to the Munds trailhead you are walking on a wide dirt 4x4 road. The upper section is through high pine forest and then down to high plateau before entering the trail and working your way down to the trail head. Besides the views this hike is a great way to see the changing plant life as you descend through a variety of different zones. Only drawback is you have to find somebody to drive you over to the interstate or pick you up.

recorded Track - Feb 14 11:45 AM