Munds Wagon, Cow Pies and Hangover Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(908)
Coconino National Forest

Munds Wagon, Cow Pies and Hangover Loop Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length8.2 miElevation gain1,171 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashkid friendlyHikingMountain bikingNature tripsBird watchingViewsWildflowersWildlifeRockyScrambleNo shade
Description
Waypoints (0)

Due to the heat and elevation gain, this hike is on the harder end of the moderate difficulty rating.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (918)
Photos (1,902)
Recordings (808)
Completed (1,530)
Caslyn Florian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 5, 2021
Hiking

This trail was awesome. I started hangover trail and ended it with cow pies. The trail was well marked but there are so many other trials made by people that it’s easy to wander off. While wandering off to what looked like another trail, I found some nice walking sticks! Really came in handy. I suggest keeping the all trails map up when you go, you’ll have service. I realized I should have started with cow pies and ended it with hangover trail after I came to the part where you have to climb. It turned my moderate hike into more advanced with how I was feeling at that point. When I crossed paths with another group they said it was recommended to begin with cowpies so you can scoot down that scary part I climbed. Once I ended that trail, I found a sign for Hangover trail and it was a double black Diamond for bike riders. I cannot believe these bikers!! Insane, I’d never have the courage to do what they do. But yea! I started at 10am and finished it around 4pm and that was after trucking the cow pies trail. My expectations were exceeded. Same goes for Sedona, I loved the town! Totally worth it.

Ryan Stockton

Always a beautiful trail

View Ryan's Recording
Kari Bunkers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 5, 2021
Hiking

First part was gorgeous until w turned the corner on hangover. Super windy and a bit scary so turned back. Went counterclockwise and did an extra mile of minds so 7 mi total

View Kari's Recording
Nathan Marcy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 3, 2021
Hiking

Awesome trail! Recommend doing the loop clockwise.

View Nathan's Recording
Sparty 81
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 2, 2021

We went clockwise - and would do it again in the same direction mainly due to it being easier to go up some of the rocks than down. Also, the mountain bikers have to go counter and you can see/hear them coming. BTW they were all courteous to us hikers - for example saying if there they were with other riders behind them or by themselves. Why do they go counter? Because there is stuff the can’t go up clockwise. Trail is in great condition and trail junctions marked. Spectacular views the whole hike. It is called Cow Pie because the rocks look like big ones. At the parking lot at the Cow Pie/ Munds junction, we took Munds up to Merry-go-round. It is about a mile each way and we highly recommend. When you get to MGR Munds goes in front and then up the canyon wall - but if you take the unmarked trail at the Munds sign you go up to the top of MGR - with spectacular picture taking. Then Munds back to the trailhead. All in about 11 miles / 6 hours; we spent 45 min at MGR and constant picture taking stops on Hangover.

Trey Boggs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 27, 2021
Hiking

Amazing views. Well worth the 8 miles. Bring snacks and maybe eat at the top on the red rocks like me!

View Trey's Recording
Michelle Brener

Easy and lovely

View Michelle's Recording
Candace Oliver
Hiking

Perfect weather! There were a lot of cactus along the beginning of the trail so if you’re bringing you dogs like me be cautious!

View Candace's Recording
Susan Stelzer
HikingGreat!

Amazingly beautiful and otherworldly! Well marked trail the covers a variety of terrain with great views. My husband and I are early sixties and hiked no problem. Good shoes, lots of water and snacks and took our time. We did not break any land speed records. Our app put us at 8.895 miles. With water breaks, photo ops and a lunch break on the saddle total time 5.5 hours. Glorious!

Jordan Notenbaum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 26, 2021
Hiking

Wouldn’t recommend during winter. The river is dried up. There’s a road that runs along the entire trail which ruins the serenity. ATV’s and Jeep’s ripping around the entire trip.

View Jordan's Recording
Sonia Kawal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 20, 2021
HikingGreat!

Wonderful hike, start counterclockwise and make sure if you’re hiking in the summer you have plenty of water it can get very difficult in parts and not a lot of shade sometimes my mind. Total of almost 9 miles and the views are stunning. This whole trail is not for beginners, please be aware. !

View Sonia's Recording
A A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 19, 2021
Hiking

Incredible trail, incredible views. Little longer than the 8.2, but not by much. Take plenty of time to enjoy the views at the top!

View A's Recording
Max Lindquist
HikingGreat!

Gorgeous views and unique terrains! We followed the loop counterclockwise like others recommended, great choice. Highly recommend this trail! Don't let this opportunity get away.

bree w
HikingGreat!

Incredible views and fun hike. This was reassured when we kept seeing the pink jeep tours nearby. We also went up counter clockwise based on recommendations and glad we did. It made the hangover trail portion not so scary in some of the more steep places. I don’t love heights and felt fine during the whole loop. But if you have a true fear, it’ll likely freak you out in places. The views are totally worth it though and it’s overall such a fun trail! My watch said it was 8.4 miles and we hit 1,400 ft gain.

Katie Ozark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 18, 2021
Hiking

Great trail. Definitely a must do while in Sedona. We did it counter clockwise and it took us about 4 hrs at a leisurely pace with lot of picture stops and a lunch break. We got here at 10am on a Thursday and parking was very easy. It’s $5 for a day pass and you can purchase the pass at the kiosk.

View Katie's Recording
Eric Winkel
Hiking

amazing. not easy but not too difficult. prettiest views on a hike so far.

View Eric's Recording
Chuck Frary
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 15, 2021
HikingGreat!

This trail has everything. We hike all over the country, and there is always one trail that makes the whole trip worthwhile. Mund’s Wagon Trail from the trail head to Cowpies to Hangover and back to Mund’s to make a loop. Fantastic. We did the trail counterclockwise. Forest, dry creek bed crossings, rock ledges, a couple saddles between spires, amazing vistas. If you go clockwise, from the Cowpies there is a trail sign to Hangover that might scare you off. No worries. The warning is for mountain bikers - “Extreme” conditions. You will see why. The hikers have no issues. (There are some steep spots). If you have a chance to see the mountain bikers come down the trail (they only go counterclockwise) take the time to be amazed at how they come down the steep rock face at the lookout. Nuts. If you come to Sedona do this trail. We clocked 9.1 miles and took right at 5 hours.

Angela Schaefer
View Angela's Recording
Christopher Cerk
View Christopher's Recording
Corinne Mongilllo
HikingGreat!

Mind Blown! I did the loop today counter clockwise, if you do nothing else do yourself a favor and do this hike. 8 miles of panoramic gorgeousness. Just when you think it cant get any better it does!. Took us a long time because we kept stopping to take pictures. Challenging, Not sure if i would class it as moderate, although most of it is, there are some steep parts.

Alyssa Antonelli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 14, 2021
View Alyssa's Recording
Arthur Shun
View Arthur's Recording
Gene Snyder
View Gene's Recording
Arlene Calles
Hiking

Definitely counter clock wise, not for the faint of heart. It’s a must if you come to Sedona!

View Arlene's Recording
Jennifer Winnes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 13, 2021
Hiking

Absolutely beautiful! This is one of my favorite hikes ever! Things to note- our group was three women over 40, varying fitness levels. Everyone had a great time although we had a bit of a scare when the winds picked up on hangover. A storm was gathering but not expected to come till 4:00. We were at the top of hangover at 2:00 and the gusts were pretty strong- enough to make us know we needed to get down quickly. That being said, we picked up our pace and we’re fine. Still something to be aware of- watch the weather if you plan to do this hike. Also, for the record there are some steep ledges, so it isn’t for the faint of heart if heights are really a problem for you.

Tammy Orozco
Hiking

Totally worth it!!!!! A bit sketchy in the wind on the backside of hangover.

View Tammy's Recording
Gina Spencer
Hiking

Beautiful!!! Great views, not too many people for a Saturday of a holiday weekend!

View Gina's Recording
Laura Stomber
HikingGreat!

Absolutely loved this trail. I can see why people say it’s one of the best views. I am so glad I read the reviews and went clockwise. While every view is beautiful I think going counter clockwise gives you a more wow factor . Would definitely do it again I did this on Thursday and went by myself took me roughly 4.5 hours in total with a stop on hangover for lunch! I started at 1:45pm and only saw about 10 people in total through the entire hike and a few bikers and finished right before 6pm

Belinda Rome
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 12, 2021
Hiking

Beautiful hike. I did Munds to Cowpies to Hangover to Munds (counter clockwise). I was alone and it took me roughly 6 hours. Views are amazing. The varying terrain made this very interesting and surprising. Lots of exposure and very ledgy. I would rate this a bit more than moderate. Start early. Have an amazing experience!!

Mary Kittilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 11, 2021
Hiking

Awesome trail to hike. I would definitely do this again and start earlier in the day so I could do the entire hike.

View Mary's Recording