Munds Wagon, Cow Pies and Hangover Loop Trail

moderate 399 reviews

Munds Wagon, Cow Pies and Hangover Loop Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,171 feet Route Type: Loop

Worthwhile hike!

Amazing hike! A lot of diversity but a few tough spots

This trail is really remarkable, probably my favorite of the trip. Incredible views, and fairly challenging. I went counter clockwise and would recommend that. For whatever it’s worth, I would not recommend this directly following significant rain or if there’s a chance of ice. And if you are not comfortable with heights or edges you might find this more mentally than physically challenging. But so worth it.

This hike is underrated! The first 1 ½ mile from the main parking lot parallels a jeep road and is pleasant but nothing special. Once you get onto the Hangover/ Cow Pie loop the trail becomes interesting escalating to spectacular. Several scrambles on slick rock are a bit dizzying but not technically difficult. The spectacular views evolve as you work your way around the loop. We hiked this in mid February and did not encounter much ice at all but I can see that it might be difficult with ice in the winter. Moderate rating is appropriate due to fairly steep slickrock. I would hesitate to take kids much younger than nine. Of all of our hikes in Sedona, this was absolutely our favorite.

fee

Hiked this on 2-8-20 and it went really well! Arrived at 10 am and there was some unofficial parking available in the lot. We didn’t make it back to the parking lot for several hours as we took our time and took a lot of pictures. No ice or snow to report but then again it was pretty warm. I personally would rate this as “hard” due to the length and slight scrambling, but definitely doable. Cons: several instances of walking off the trail, sharing Munds Wagon with vehicles at times, plenty of bikers.

Completed January 30. No ice to report. Creek crossings easy and water levels low. I’ve done about 8 Sedona hikes and this is in the top 1-2. If you do it counter clockwise (though I’m sure either way is fine) the scenery is spectacular from the second you hit Cow Pies through epic Hangover. Incredible jaw dropping vistas and great elevation. Munds Wagon itself is 3 stars - the Jeep road mirrors the trail for a bit and you get noise though it’s nice to have water near you and the views as still very nice. But Cow Pies and Hangover make this 5 stars overall. No crowds as parking lot holds 12-15 cars and it’s a vast wilderness back there. I took numerous breaks (and even naps) on some of the huge flat rock faces and ridges. NOTE that Hangover includes numerous exposed knife edge ridges that would be dangerous if icy or slippery. However these truly exposed parts rarely last more than 50 yards at a time before hopping back onto larger rock faces or proper trail. A bit tougher than I thought though!

Best hike we have done while in Sedona.

Awesome hike. Counter clockwise is the best way.

Amazing trail and views. Easy to moderate. Some slippery spots and a few places you have to be careful and scramble. The views are worth it.

Heard about this trail from another hiker in Sedona. Decided to give it a go and I wasn’t disappointed. Like others have said, counter-clockwise is the way to go. I encountered no ice, however I could see this trail being rather tricky in so-so conditions. Enjoy!

This trail was my favorite out of 4 hikes I did in Sedona. Completing the full loop is a bit tricky with the ice, but we just got down on all fours in a couple short areas. We decided to hike clockwise so we could tackle the steep section going uphill. The views are great along the whole route! I put all my pictures in this review: https://backpackers-review.com/trip-reports/sedona-arizona-hiking-highlights/

Wonderful hike - definitely snowy and a couple times a little icy on the backside of hangover. Went clockwise to make sure we could do scramble up the rocks (wasn't sure if that part was snowy or icy) definitely would be easier with crampons - went very slowly and cautiously on the backside. Lovedthis hike.

Fantastic trail. Go counter clockwise for the best views. Bring spikes in the winter. There is ice but totally manageable with gear. Amazing views!

The hike itself was great, however, very scary in the winter with ice. There were several instances where we had to slide across on our butt or crawl hands and knees. I’m sure in the summer it is wonderful but I would avoid doing hangover until the ice melts. Very steep and icy in numerous spots. If you’re dying to do it in the ice, wear crampons. Trial could use more markers as we went off the trial for nearly a mile.

icy

Did this hike on New Year's Day! Fantastic views. Did it clockwise, which I highly recommend. Hangover is super icy. There were numerous spots where we had to sit and slide. Some of these spots had very steep drop offs. We had to use sticks and logs to help us get across. I would not recommend doing Hangover when it is icy. There was still a few inches of snow as well. The icicles were gorgeous, but we're directly above us and some were falling off. A bit scary. The wall was a challenge, but the ice was way scarier. I would try to talk with ranger before doing this hike in winter and find out about the ice. The views are spectacular. Really amazing, but I wouldn't do this hike with snow and ice. We did survive and made the whole loop, but it was scary many times.

Great trail overall excellent for running but could use a few additional markers along the way to keep the trail.

icy

Absolutely spectacular scenery the whole way. Very sketchy on the back side of Hangover in the shade with icy off camber spots and exposure. Ice spikes would have been nice in these spots though my two daughters (12 and 14) seemed to manage just fine. Did it counterclockwise.