Mt. Wrightson via Old Baldy Trail

Mt. Wrightson via Old Baldy Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Madera Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Well marked, and in good condition. hard is the correct level.

For a fairly active guy like myself I would also rate it hard but more than worth it

tough hike, but great views! bring plenty of water!!

Favorite hike in Tucson! Shaded until Baldy saddle and great views the entire route. We hit the trail at 6AM and were on top at 8:30AM. It was a steady up hill ascent but no boulders or big rocks to scramble up so I think the hike is medium difficulty not hard.

Favorite hike in southern Arizona. Done several seasons, including a pre-monsoon uncomfortable bivouac on the summit (not much flat). Gorgeous sunrise...

Hiked this yesterday with my sister, neither of us being veteran hikers. That being said, it was a beautiful hike with lots of trees and spectacular views. We made it to Bellows Springs, just short of the Old Baldy Saddle. There was snow on the ground from a spring storm along the trail. The ascent, for us, was relentlessly steep uphill. I think the Super Trail may be longer but not such a steep climb. We saw several younger and athletically fit people virtually sprinting up and down, but it was a challenge for we women in our 50's! But as a charming and cheerful young man skipping down the trail said, "We're all in this together!" Grateful we decided to tackle this, there were moments on the trail where it felt as though we were deep in the wilderness, what a blessed relief during these turbulent times.

My son and hike this trail to the Mt Wrightson summit a couple years ago. Beautiful and fairly challenging trail, but not too difficult. Great valet views. It is a well traveled trail, but does have a lot of exposed rock and loose gravel. Would recommend good shoes and a hat. My son missed this point and had about a dozen blister by the time we finished. Offers plenty of shade, but does have areas of full exposure. The trail ends at Baldy Saddle and there are several options for going back down. It is just a short, but exhausting 0.9 miles to the summit from there and once at the top you can see a beautiful 360 degree view including many of the sky islands. We chose to go down the same way and it was pretty tough on the knees and ankles, but not too bad. I would liken this trail to South Kaibab Trail and have heard that many in the area use it as a training trail for such canyon hikes.

Snow packed on trail around 8000 feet in mid-February. Great views, fairly challenging ascent but not overwhelming.

Saturday, September 26, 2015