Mount Wrightson Loop Trail is a 13.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Green Valley, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,005 feet Route Type: Loop

You can start this trail at Bog Springs Campground, Madera Picnic Area, or the Madera Ampitheatre. Around 1 mile in, the trail splits in two directions; one takes you past Bog Springs, the other past Sylvester Spring. Both paths are equidistant and meet up at Kent Springs after 2 miles. Around 2 miles later you will arrive at Amour Spring, then another half mile brings you to the junction with Crest Trail. This junction marks the end of Four Springs Trail.

Fantastic hike! The overall location is very isolated and made for a peaceful hike without huge crowds. Just enough other hikers to enjoy a conversation at the summit. A shout out to the trio I had lunch with on the summit from the Southern Arizona Hiking Club...good input on other area peaks and thank you for your trail maintenance work. The trails were all clear and switchbacks in great shape. I hiked a variation of this recording, coming up the Old Baldy trail to the summit, around and down on Super Trail. I recommend the full loop like this to get a fresh view. Super Trail was less traveled based on the vegetation overgrowth through some sections but has great views the whole way down. Needed microspikes coming up Baldy Trail after the first 3 miles and didn't remove them till sometime around the Gardner Canyon cutoff from the Super Trail. I had to break trail for 100 yards or so on the north facing section of Super Trail just after turning off from the summit trail. Snow was 6-9" of powder on a good incline so I put my New Hampshire hiking skills to the test. I will be back to do this and more trails in the Tucson area!

fee

I decided to see how close to the summit I could get in the snow on 12/26. I started out taking Old Baldy trail up to the saddle, and then took Super. Monsoon has been kind here, so a lot of the plants that tend to narrow Super trail a bit were weighed down by ice and snow and hung over the trail even more. I had plenty of layers, though, so it wasn't too terrible. I did, however, turn around before reaching the summit due to the snow getting hard to walk in without snowshoes. If you have experience hiking in snow and can follow the trail, I highly recommend doing so. It was beautiful up there!

The title of this trail and the map are the Baldy/Super Trail loop to the summit of Mt. Wrightson, but the description is of the Four Springs Trail hike to the junction of the Crest Trail. These are two totally different hikes and should be under separate titles. We did the Four Springs Trail today. The start point listed in the description is good for the Bog Spring/Kent Spring Loop but a better starting point for the Four Springs Trail is the Super Trail from the parking lot at the top of the road. From the Super Trail go about 1/4 mile. After crossing the creek, the trail turns left. Watch for the Pipeline Trail coming off the left at a steep uphill angle. You'll know you're on the pipeline trail because there is 2" galvanized pipe on the side of the trail. Take this trail until it intersects with the Kent Spring jeep trail and then continue up the jeep trail to Kent Spring. The Pipeline/Kent Spring intersection is a good area to spot and/or hear the Elegant Trogon, best between April and June (although we heard one in the distance today). You will soon enter one of the loveliest sections in the Santa Ritas near Sylvester Spring. From there the trail climbs steeply for a half mile. Just a few feet past Kent Spring the trail splits. To the left is the Bog Spring loop. Go to the right (strangely not marked on the sign). You are now on the Four Springs Trail. Another two miles of steady, sometimes steep uphill and you arrive at Shovel Saddle, so named for a shovel that used to be stuck in the ground there but has since disappeared. Take a faint trail uphill to the left and you come to a summit with lovely views. If you continue on the trail, you will arrive at Armour Spring, and, past that, to Florida Saddle and the Crest Trail which heads back to Baldy Saddle. We lunched at Shovel Saddle at 8000' (2600' elevation gain) and then headed back as weather was moving in. This is our fourth trip up this trail. The first time we summited McCleary Peak which involved bushwacking through prickly undergrowth, but I got cut up and it wasn't worth it since the views from Shovel Saddle are just as good. Total distance, around 8 miles. I would rate it as difficult.

We took Super trail the entire way up, which is fairly moderate in difficulty until you get close to the summit trail. If you're not pressed for time, I highly recomend going up via Super; the views were phenomenal, and at a couple spots we saw some hummingbirds flying around. The summit trail is steep and fairly exposed, but the switchbacks offer plenty of opportunities to catch your breath. The summit itself offered some amazing 360 views of southern Arizona and parts of Mexico, but unfortunately when we went it was literally swarming with ladybugs and flies, with quite a few bees present as well. I'm not sure if this is a seasonal occurrence as it was my first summit, but if you go up there, be prepared for LOTS of bugs. It was a beautiful hike down, though, and I'll definitely come back again in a few months when it gets colder.

Sun May 26 2019

As good it gets! Add this one to your bucket list.

Sat Jan 19 2019

Looser near the peak. Lots of fun and great views.

Sat May 05 2018

Very tired but worth it. The sight on the top is excellent!

Tue Apr 03 2018

Un trail con excelentes vistas, gran altura.

Tue Apr 03 2018

Beautiful view from the top. It was an 8 hour hike. Take plenty of water and food.

Fri Mar 30 2018

What a great hike! I took my 2 older kids 13 and 15, they found it difficult but worthwhile. Views where amazing. We went up old baldy and down old baldy. We made the peak in 4:20 and back down in about 3 hours.

Thu Mar 22 2018

After a total of 107 switch backs, several water breaks, I still managed to reach the top of the summit which I really enjoyed. The views were magnificent. Don't let the short distance fool you, be prepared....bring lots of H20, protein foods to include raw honey, bagels, nuts, etc...and of course pack enough for at least an overnight in case of emergency. Be safe.

Sun Mar 11 2018

Difficult, but loved it!!!

Wed Feb 21 2018

Hiked up Old Baldy came back on the Super Trail. Lot of ice on the North side, snow 2 feet deep toward the summit. Very soft snow on the South side. Have been up there several times before but this was the best. A real adventure. January 2017

Fri Nov 24 2017

I hiked Old Baldy up and Super trail back and recommend that. Old Baldy is gently graded but still a no-nonsense way of getting to the summit. Super trail is nice for solitude and views on a more relaxed trip back down. Wear pants for super trail.

Sat Aug 19 2017

A great hike! The Super trail as it raps around the south side of the summit is a little over grown right now, so bring pants. Also be mindful for snakes and large predators, We found quite a bit of large predator skat, looked like bear and mountain lion.

Mon Aug 14 2017

Beautiful trail! The super trail runs along a stream and it has wonderful views!

Sat Aug 05 2017

Last mile a workout.

Tue May 16 2017

Awesome hike to the top!!! Very well kept trail. Not a hard trail.

Tue Apr 18 2017

Came from Virginia to see and experience this mountain. Wonderful views can't wait to come back and explore it more

Tue Mar 28 2017

Great long hike! Old baldy trail is steep with lots of switchbacks. Bring lots of water! The super trail has lots of very sharp bushes growing onto the trail, so wear pants! Beautiful views on top, worth the work!

Wed Mar 01 2017

this trail can be cold and shady in the winter. I forgot a jacket but found a animal chewed used jacket in a pile. God does provide!

Sat Feb 25 2017

A LONG hike but so worth it. Get started early !! Bring water, camera sun screen and LOTS of energy!!