Mount Peeley Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Payson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,450 feet Route Type: Out & Back

AZ trail section is smooth and gradual and easy to follow. Once you loop around the mountain and hit the cairn you head up to reach the peak. There’s not really much of a trail up there it’s more of a series of paths that have been taken and worn down over time. Stick to the trails if you can but you’ll probably just end up walking up a lot. It’s pretty open and not that difficult. I spooked a rattle snake right at the beginning of the trail, just cause it’s higher up doesn’t mean they aren’t present. Be safe

Completed 5/3/20 The view at the end was totally worth it. we really enjoyed the drive to the trailhead also. The trail was harder to find when you turned to go up the mountain toward the end, but we made it, this app definitely helped us make it there without getting lost. there are some rocks stacked to help you find the way. Be careful for snakes. We came across a bullsnake in the trail but I'm sure there are rattlesnakes out there. Definitely one of my favorite trails

Completed 3/30/20. Fun drive up in my jeep! Road is narrow, so go slow around corners. We helped some people who had rolled their orv off the edge because they were going too fast. Trail is well maintained and has great views. Don’t miss the turn off by the pile of rocks about 3/4 of the way up to get to the peak. Last 1/4 of the hike there’s not much of a trail, but it’s pretty easy to make your way up. Trail map helps. Beautiful views at the top!

icy

Completed 2/15. Fun drive in and a beautiful trail. The uploaded pictures do not do this trail justice. Once you’ve made the initial one mile ascent up the mountain the remaining trail has great views of the surrounding mountains. This trail is not hard. My dog and I competed the trail in two hours while taking lots of pictures and stoping to talk to a few friendly hikers along the way. The 9 mile dirt/gravel/muddy/snowy road leading in is not technical, but you will want to bring a 4x4. The last few miles still have quite a bit of melting snow and ice so it was a little slippery in a few places. Highly recommend

icy

completed this hike 2-5-20. The hike is easy enough. Yes, you're going to gain 1400'+ in elevation in a short period of time, but it is very doable. The hike around the back of the mountain is still covered with hard snow and frozen waterfalls. The road leading to the trailhead is passable with most vehicles. 4x4 not required. There is iced over spots and two are on an decline/incline. Ground clearance shouldn't be an issue if you go slow over a couple of areas.

The final mile or so on FR 201 is covered in a decent amount of snow currently. I made it fine in my truck with the 4WD turned on. Also, The final mile of the trail is covered in snow. This made finding the route up to the peak of Mt. Peeley somewhat difficult. Nonetheless, this is an absolutely beautiful trail. The views from the summit are incredible and reach as far as Weavers Needle, Superstition Mountain, the backside of Four Peaks, the Mogollon Rim, Saddle Mountain and deep into the Mazatzal's. I saw a few ATV,s and jeeps close to AZ-87, but after the first mile of FR 201 I didn't see a single person all day. The Mazatzal's are a true treasure of this great state. The Mt. Peeley trailhead is a great entry point to this amazing wilderness area.

just finished the hike. it was great! moderate is a fair rating. as others have mentioned, it is easy to get off trail, so I relied on my All Trails app often. last quarter to the top is marked but was washed out previously. the 4x4 trip to get to the trailhead is very well maintained. FYI no gas for miles and miles so make sure you have a full tank. Great Escape from the Phoenix heat. I recommend!!!!

Wed Jun 05 2019

Sat Jun 01 2019

Absolutely amazing views at the top. This trail is a hard one, especially in the heat with the altitude. Bring a lot of water as you will not always get the breeze I was able to enjoy on the way down. Summit is very windy as well. Temperature was close to 80 when I hiked. The trail that spurts off the AZT up to the top is very steep. Coming down is a lot harder than going up, and following to cairns down is much harder going up as well. I slipped once on the trail down, in which I lost my bear spray that was in my back pocket. If anyone who goes up there next sees it, call me at 925-605–8036. That stuff is expensive!

Mon May 27 2019

Very beautiful hike along a section of the Arizona Trail. The trail is easy to moderate until you reach the junction to scramble to the summit. It didn't seem like there was a defined trail on this last part. You look for the cairns to guide you to the summit. This section is VERY steep with loose rocks and small cacti everywhere so you need to take your time and be careful. Hike was 5.2 miles round trip and we had the trail to ourselves except for the 2 thru hikers we past who had been hiking the AZ trail for 7 weeks. Get there at 8am if you prefer solitude. Others started arriving at the trailhead right when we finished at 11:30. You should have a high clearance vehicle to get to the trailhead. The drive on the Forest Road is beautiful as well, enjoy!

Wed Sep 05 2018

A great hike if you want to get out of the city and escape the Phoenix heat. It was probably 95-100 in Phoenix and about 70-75 on trail. We went on Monday of Labor Day weekend and only saw 1 other group of 2. The distance and elevation gain is nothing crazy but enough to make you feel like you got a work out. The 360 view at the top is great. It took us 1.5 hours up and about 45 mins down (we hustled a bit because there was a storm coming in, and we didn't want to drive out on a muddy road). I have a Subaru Crosstrek, which handled the road just fine. Most of the road is in pretty good condition, with just a few tricky spots. High clearance and 4WD or AWD still a must.

Mon Jan 16 2017

It was wet, so the drive up and out on the dirt road was muddy, and we were glad to have a vehicle that could handle it. The hike itself had some elevation, but nothing too rough. Fog obstructed the views on the way up, but ithad cleared out by the hike down. We saw beautiful trees, some still damaged by fire. We also found a spring or run-off creating a neat little trickle of water next to the trail. No wildlife sightings, but they might have been hiding because of the weather.

Wed Aug 13 2014

The dirt road into this hike is long haul but worth the trek. Would only reccomend it with a proper vehicle. Not many people to be found and the views were spectacular. We also saw some unique looking brightly colored small birds in the cover of the trees as you get close to the trailhead. Wished we had brought binoculars.

Mon May 20 2019