Mount Ord Trail

Mount Ord Trail is a 14.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Payson, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

This little mountain was tougher than I expected!
The trail (road) is easy to both follow and walk on and there are no technical parts, but the constant incline is relentless though not particularly steep.
I started at the trailhead shortly after 6am and had ~60F at 3200’ and enjoyed shade 3/4 of the way to the top.
At about 5500’-6000’ I saw a bunch of deer.
The temperature at the summit was pleasant, but I had mostly full sun on the way down and it started to get warm. It was high 80ies when I made it back to my car around noon, and I went through 4 liters of fluid.
It took me just over 3 hours to reach the summit and I was back at my car in ~5h45m including breaks.
This hike felt every bit has hard as Superstition Ridgeline, though having 10 degrees warmer weather today probably made a difference...

This is a great hike! Perfect for training for Grand Canyon. It is an old dirt utility road that takes you to the tower at top. Stay to the left when the road dorks.

Really difficult but so much fun and the most beautiful views!!! Easy to get to, and I was the only one out there. Definitely will be back!

We hiked the old forest road (FR27), which is very rocky with deep ruts off and on for the majority of the hike. We started at the top of the Mountain where the communication road is closed off. The road we drove in on (FR 626) is very rocky and I recommend a vehicle with good clearance. Be sure to bring plenty of water. We stashed 2 gallons of water at the bottom (near mile post 228 off US-87), and also where the old road meets the new road. On a hot September day, we needed it. The vegetation varies from desert cactus at the bottom to mountain pines at the top. You can see Roosevelt Lake and 4 Peaks from the top. This hike gave me a sense of accomplishment, and I was glad to see my vehicle at the top. Round trip took us about 8 hours but we weren't in a big hurry.

off road driving

Great trail, no traffic, 110 in valley & 88 at top!
Great views!

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

This is an old Foest road, AKA trail and meets the new Foest road 626 just after the 5 mile point. There are camping spots along the way and beautiful views. Yes, there is a trail and hike HERE

Tuesday, June 13, 2017