Mount Ord Trail

Mount Ord Trail is a 14.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Payson, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

Really difficult but so much fun and the most beautiful views!!! Easy to get to, and I was the only one out there. Definitely will be back!

We hiked the old forest road (FR27), which is very rocky with deep ruts off and on for the majority of the hike. We started at the top of the Mountain where the communication road is closed off. The road we drove in on (FR 626) is very rocky and I recommend a vehicle with good clearance. Be sure to bring plenty of water. We stashed 2 gallons of water at the bottom (near mile post 228 off US-87), and also where the old road meets the new road. On a hot September day, we needed it. The vegetation varies from desert cactus at the bottom to mountain pines at the top. You can see Roosevelt Lake and 4 Peaks from the top. This hike gave me a sense of accomplishment, and I was glad to see my vehicle at the top. Round trip took us about 8 hours but we weren't in a big hurry.

off road driving

Great trail, no traffic, 110 in valley & 88 at top!
Great views!

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

This is an old Foest road, AKA trail and meets the new Foest road 626 just after the 5 mile point. There are camping spots along the way and beautiful views. Yes, there is a trail and hike HERE