Monument Peak Loop Trail

Monument Peak Loop Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Payson, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Monument Peak Loop Trail is part of the PATS. This hike has everything from shaded wooded areas, a small seasonal stream and an open meadow.

My dog and I set out on an adventure to find some creeks/water in Payson, but when we arrived at the trail we intended to hike, we were told everything north of Payson is closed.

This was a bummer, so I pulled out my AllTrails and stumbled upon this hike. Overall, I was pretty disappointed. This was more of an ATV/Jeep off-road trail than a hiking trail. The terrain is very desert like and I felt as if we were walking through the desert in PHX. We only got about .8 miles in and had to turn around, as the long stretches of un-shaded gravel/rocks were burning my pups' paws. We decided to find the bit of shade there was, and hammocked for a bit.

All in all, it was very hot, dry, and not shaded. There's no water anywhere to be found either, which was a big bummer for us. Pray for these fires to end and for the rain to come!

Pleasant exercise, beautiful views, clean air. Bring a compass! Did not see any markers - Mile 5? The road back is not paved but very easy to navigate with a sedan.

Great flat trail. Awesome for a short trail run. Not much water in the creek,but still beautiful.

Mostly flat. Easy to navigate. Some areas were washed out but easy to get around.
I assumed 3.4 miles referred to the entire loop itself but I stop counting at mile marker 5.
Not a bad trail for a light hike.

Great hike! Just enough to get your blood flowing while enjoying nature.

Good for walking. Seemed better for bikes & ATVs. But fortunately we were mostly on our own.

More of a road than a trail as far as hiking goes and more so walking than any hiking but it was pretty, easy to walk so I think it’d be great for kids. It was great to take my dogs and nephew on. We will be back I am sure. We went on a Monday and didn’t run into anyone else but I’d imagine it is prob a bit busy on the weekends with off-road Riders and other walkers as it isn’t too far from town.

There is a dirt road, which can be driven carefully with a sedan, to the small parking area at the trailhead. The multiuse trail is a wide, sandy gravel path loop through some boulders, shady pine groves, and a petite babbling brook. We hiked counter clockwise, encountering few joggers, atvs, and one motocross biker. On a sunny, cool 45 degree, Sunday morning in February, we enjoyed this easy hike.
Free parking. No restrooms. Poor cell phone coverage.

Great trail. Almost NO trash (when we see any, which is rarely, we pick it up). Used by hikers, runners, horseback riders, ATVs, UTVs, dog walkers, etc. Truly a multi-use trail. As it is in our "back yard" we use it often - like weekly.

An easy trail to run. Plenty of shade to stay out of sun during summer time.

Nice trail. Didn't see any other hikers, but were passed by dirt bikes and ATVs.

It was a nice easy hiking of about one hour and 30 minutes

This is high traffic. I brought the kids here for a nice hike only to find a bunch of teenagers speeding in their ATV's. The trail is more of a road then a trail. I will never come back.

This is an easy trail. Have to pay attention to the signs since there are many trails that keep cris crossing it. Might be a warm hike in summer but early fall it was warm but okay. Also is a trail that atv use but didn't really encounter any.

Took kids and dogs and the trail was the perfect length to keep it enjoyable.

An okay trail for just getting a hike in. More bike/ATV friendly than "hike exclusive". Very well marked. The creek and greenery on the west side of the loop is definitely the high point. Hiked midweek and had the trail all to ourselves.

Lots of pea gravel made it slippery. Still nice and not hard.

Nice enjoyable hike.

Fairly easy but a nice hike!

Friday, June 16, 2017

This is definitely much used by ATV's. Also horses. Does anyone know if there is a trail that goes up to the top of Monument Peak? Now that would be a hike!!!!

Friday, March 17, 2017

It is an ATV trail not a hike. Overused by atvs piles of toilet paper next to running creek. Spinning wheels through wetland. Would be a very nice area with live water in the spring but for ATVs. The ATVs we did see were not out of control, they have simply overwhelmed the area

Sunday, March 12, 2017

nice isolated hike. you see some houses but no people. stream crossings. our dog loved it.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Bring moderately waterproof shoes. If it's been raining definitely drive a good vehicle down because stream runs over pathway

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Nice little hike, not challenging at all. Very isolated, only saw one person in the whole loop. There were some streams so you def need to have water resistant shoes. Great for dogs!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Good walking. Had rained several days prior and the trail had many little ponds and streams throughout. Would highly suggest waterproof footwear. Otherwise great trail not very hard and didn't see a soul out there.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Very sandy and evidently frequented by motorized vehicles. Good for a hike not so good for a run.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Very sandy with loose rocks. But overall very well marked and great trail.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Moderate hiking trail. Lots of gravel but clear path to follow. Not a lot to see on the trail

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Well marked, easy trail. Surface sandy, gravely. Pleasant walk

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

An easy to find and hike trial, with good trail markers. About a mile of the trail does not have much tree cover so on a warm day, if you go in the afternoon, can be a bit hot. Snow was melting so the little creek was active with little waterfalls. Not much in wildflowers or wildlife yet. I would suggest bringing in an extra trash bag - we came across a lot of trash along our hike. Also, a lot of motorized traffic (ATVs, Gators, dirt bikes), a lot. We were having to continually be on the look out and get out of the way for those people. We only encountered one other couple on foot during our hike. Trail is really close to town and you are basically in the backyard of some Payson residents. All in all it was a nice hike but it will most likely not be a repeat trail for me.