Monument Peak Loop Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(250)
Tonto National Forest

Monument Peak Loop Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Payson, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 219 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

Monument Peak Loop Trail is part of the PATS. This hike has everything from shaded wooded areas, a small seasonal stream and an open meadow.

Beautiful drive to the trailhead. Started out dusty and with little shade/views. Was talking about turning around but once you get about a mile in there is more shade and little creeks that the dogs loved.

fun shorter trail close to Payson. follow the directions that take u pass the Safeway to get there. parking lot is trailhead and we went clockwise. fun with some technical and off camber some mud holes tight tree passes but ok for our TJ and some bypasses. marked well and lots of off-shoots to explore. good late afternoon run for An hour.

We started the loop at 3:30pm, so we had lots of alone time and plenty of shade. We were looking for something to warm us up after the ride into town and this really hit the spot! Our dog enjoyed it too.

My Wife and I took our two kids 1 almost 3 and the other 3 months old. They rocked it and such troopers. We all had a blast! weather was perfect and a nice breeze

I really enjoyed this hike. It rained last night, so it was beautiful out this morning. It's well marked & an easy stroll. There's a small stream you cross a few times, & lovely views.

Well marked, easy and fairly flat trail. Some pretty areas. Nearby creek. I took my 3 kids and dog and all did fine (& my littlest is 11 and not exactly in great workout shape).

Simple but perfect for our agenda: Very easy walk for myself and the puppers. We started at 12pm and the sun was a bit much - I definitely burned. Other than that, we couldn't have asked for a better Sunday stroll.

Nice trail with abundant shade and water. We’re 60-somethings, so we take our time. It took about 2 hours and was easy for us. This would also be good if you have little kids. Lots of shade, creeks to splash in, and lots of critters.

Nice trail to ride with kids or newbies to mountain biking. Lots of sandy sections that will test your patience, but still a fun, shorter ride. Payson is beautiful.

Absolutely loved this trail! We started around 3pm, so plenty of shade along the way. We did not see a single person on the trail. It’s had a variety of terrain: wash, trail, small climbs, water, grass. We will be back!!

Pretty day hike. Some shade but mostly exposed (started at noon). Some. Soft sand but mostly flat trail

Beautiful scenery, the trail is well marked and easy for kids and dogs. Lots of shade along the way as well :)

Dog-friendly, child-friendly unspectacular but very pleasant trail for a walk through the woods. The trail is very well marked, with many looping side paths. We enjoyed it thoroughly.

“Good for social distancing” was posted last week, now this trail is overrun -_- I’d suggest not posting that about any trail because it won’t hold true afterward. I had this hike planned for a couple weeks and I was afraid those comments would make that happen. The small parking lot was packed and there were large groups on the trail and walking up and down the road to the trailhead. The trail itself has a loose gravel throughout and a lot of sun exposure. The middle mile is nice with some creek crossings.

I’m just getting back into mountain biking after a bad accident a few years ago so this was a perfect practice trail for me. I’m coming from Phoenix so this was also a nice get away as the weather was cooler and we are still social distancing so looked for an area that wasn’t crowded. We saw a family riding with their small children so if you have kids this is a good trail for the family.

Nice trail, pretty flat. Good for a simple hike. Muddy in some areas. Not too crowded when we came.

Mix between sun and shade with a bit more towards the sunny side. Lots of little springs intersecting the trail. Pretty easy flat trail.

Simple hike through the forest and along a stream that crisscrosses the trail at times.

It was an easy walk mostly on a gravel road. Saw only a few people on bikes and a dirt bike. Myself, wife, 9,7,5yr olds.

This was a great family trail. We did the full loop (but my recording cut out for a bit.) Lots of loose gravel. Mostly flat with a few small hills towards the front. A tiny stream meanders through and cuts across/along the trail here and there. There is a bit of shade in parts of the trail, but I don’t think I’d want to do a mid-day hike on the summer. The parking area is small and it was just a bit difficult to find where the trail started. Even though parking was full, we really only ran into 2 other groups in passing. Enjoy.

Fantastic hike on a beautiful spring day! I did this with my husband and 5 year old. We loved the scenery. There was a few places that had a little mud we had to cross, but it still was a great hike! Definitely will do it again!

A wide and easy introduction to the Tonto National Forest near payson. A shared OHV/non motorized trail through the woods.

Beautiful trail! Easy walk. Not crowded.

Easy trail. More for taking a walk in nature. Still nice if you’re wanting to get out and about & still beautiful scenery

Easy to access, but still not crowded. Beautiful scenery.

Wonderful hiking trail. It was perfect and exactly as described. Beautiful hike thru pine forest and manzanita bushes with a small stream weaving in and out occasionally. Perfect for all levels of hiking. The 2 mile dirt trail from the pavement to the trailhead is well maintained and has small potholes that can be driven by any vehicle except perhaps low clearance sports cars. Highly recommend.

Really enjoyed this trail! Coming from Phoenix the greenery was a lovely sight. My dog loved this trail too, so many smells to smell :D

Easy walking but, I found the scenery a bit boring. Especially compared to the Boulder loop trail that starts about a quarter mile from this trailhead.