Monument Peak Loop Trail

Monument Peak Loop Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Payson, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Monument Peak Loop Trail is part of the PATS. This hike has everything from shaded wooded areas, a small seasonal stream and an open meadow.

More of a road than a trail as far as hiking goes and more so walking than any hiking but it was pretty, easy to walk so I think it’d be great for kids. It was great to take my dogs and nephew on. We will be back I am sure. We went on a Monday and didn’t run into anyone else but I’d imagine it is prob a bit busy on the weekends with off-road Riders and other walkers as it isn’t too far from town.

There is a dirt road, which can be driven carefully with a sedan, to the small parking area at the trailhead. The multiuse trail is a wide, sandy gravel path loop through some boulders, shady pine groves, and a petite babbling brook. We hiked counter clockwise, encountering few joggers, atvs, and one motocross biker. On a sunny, cool 45 degree, Sunday morning in February, we enjoyed this easy hike.
Free parking. No restrooms. Poor cell phone coverage.

Great trail. Almost NO trash (when we see any, which is rarely, we pick it up). Used by hikers, runners, horseback riders, ATVs, UTVs, dog walkers, etc. Truly a multi-use trail. As it is in our "back yard" we use it often - like weekly.

An easy trail to run. Plenty of shade to stay out of sun during summer time.

Nice trail. Didn't see any other hikers, but were passed by dirt bikes and ATVs.

It was a nice easy hiking of about one hour and 30 minutes

This is high traffic. I brought the kids here for a nice hike only to find a bunch of teenagers speeding in their ATV's. The trail is more of a road then a trail. I will never come back.

This is an easy trail. Have to pay attention to the signs since there are many trails that keep cris crossing it. Might be a warm hike in summer but early fall it was warm but okay. Also is a trail that atv use but didn't really encounter any.

Took kids and dogs and the trail was the perfect length to keep it enjoyable.

An okay trail for just getting a hike in. More bike/ATV friendly than "hike exclusive". Very well marked. The creek and greenery on the west side of the loop is definitely the high point. Hiked midweek and had the trail all to ourselves.

Lots of pea gravel made it slippery. Still nice and not hard.

Nice enjoyable hike.

Fairly easy but a nice hike!

This is definitely much used by ATV's. Also horses. Does anyone know if there is a trail that goes up to the top of Monument Peak? Now that would be a hike!!!!

Friday, March 17, 2017

It is an ATV trail not a hike. Overused by atvs piles of toilet paper next to running creek. Spinning wheels through wetland. Would be a very nice area with live water in the spring but for ATVs. The ATVs we did see were not out of control, they have simply overwhelmed the area

Sunday, March 12, 2017

nice isolated hike. you see some houses but no people. stream crossings. our dog loved it.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Bring moderately waterproof shoes. If it's been raining definitely drive a good vehicle down because stream runs over pathway

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Nice little hike, not challenging at all. Very isolated, only saw one person in the whole loop. There were some streams so you def need to have water resistant shoes. Great for dogs!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Good walking. Had rained several days prior and the trail had many little ponds and streams throughout. Would highly suggest waterproof footwear. Otherwise great trail not very hard and didn't see a soul out there.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Very sandy and evidently frequented by motorized vehicles. Good for a hike not so good for a run.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Very sandy with loose rocks. But overall very well marked and great trail.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Moderate hiking trail. Lots of gravel but clear path to follow. Not a lot to see on the trail

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Well marked, easy trail. Surface sandy, gravely. Pleasant walk

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

An easy to find and hike trial, with good trail markers. About a mile of the trail does not have much tree cover so on a warm day, if you go in the afternoon, can be a bit hot. Snow was melting so the little creek was active with little waterfalls. Not much in wildflowers or wildlife yet. I would suggest bringing in an extra trash bag - we came across a lot of trash along our hike. Also, a lot of motorized traffic (ATVs, Gators, dirt bikes), a lot. We were having to continually be on the look out and get out of the way for those people. We only encountered one other couple on foot during our hike. Trail is really close to town and you are basically in the backyard of some Payson residents. All in all it was a nice hike but it will most likely not be a repeat trail for me.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

super fun, and easy enough with the whole family. my wife and I took all four kids and the older two who walked loved it! I will come again for sure.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Nice trail. Mostly in the sun, so it was a bit warm on an 85 degree day. Great for the dog. Tiny creek along one side. Combo of pine trees and shrubs. Overall nice for an easy day hike!

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Hiked it on a Friday afternoon, nary is soul on the trail, just me and my spouse. Easy and very well marked, great hike

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

This is a very easy, well-marked trail. Not too many people and only one horseback rider along the way. Also did some geocaching along the way. Picked up a bag of trash at the trailhead before leaving. I can see why it is a favorite.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

I hiked the boulders loop (at the end of Phoenix St) with my beginner hiker wife, nice trail, we spent about 3 hrs on this trail. Because we were taking it easy it allowed us to enjoy the scenery more. This loop takes you to Monument Peak.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Nice little easy trail with lots of opportunities for shade. The only drawback is that this is very close to many Payson homes.