Mount Lemmon Trail

Mount Lemmon Trail is a 9.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Lemmon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

old growth

Directions from Tucson: Take the Catalina Highway off Tanque Verde Road in Tucson. Drive 4.2 miles to the Forest boundary and continue 28 miles, past Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley, to the power substation on Radio Ridge. Hike west on the trail to a dirt road. Hike down the road to the trail junction.

I connected this hike with Romero Canyon, making a one way trip from Mount Lemmon to Catalina State Park. The views are fantastic and you with experience basically every biome Tucson has to offer! A word of warning: portions of the path may be tough to find and there are some steep switchbacks. I would mark this in my book as "hard" rather than "moderate". Worth it!

I picked #5 up after leaving Romero Saddle. Amazing views!

We recorded nearly 12 miles on this hike without finishing the last .25-.5 miles, a wee bit longer than the 9.9 stated miles. An awesome hike that crossed through multiple biomes. The weather was fantastic, a little cool at the top, a bit warm toward the bottom as you lose the tree cover. The different types of rocks along the trail were a lot of fun to check out...lots of mica, granite, quartz. It can be deceiving though as it is a down/back up path that I would have rated as easy to moderate based on the length and altitude alone. But then you have to go back up after that 6 mile hike with the first two of the ascent being the steepest. It's important to fuel and hydrate on the way down, before the climb back up which I would rate as difficult. We decided 3 liters of water would have been ideal instead of the 2 we had. Most definitely worth doing, be prepared!

Great hike. Nice views. If you start at summit and go all the way to the canyon bottom and back, it seems a little long.

Again, Not quite how the trail was supposed to go. Started on mount lemon trail and from there took several other trails. The wilderness of rocks was just amazing, got to see some white tail deer. The views were spectacular my longest hike so far, just a little over 12 miles!! Am beat but so worth it!!

Great LONG hike. We actually did the Mount Lemmon Trail Loop (Meadow Loop -> Lemmon Rock Trail -> Wilderness of Rocks Trail -> Mount Lemmon Trail). The whole loop was 10.5 miles according to my phone GPS and Apple Watch - however AllTrails estimates it to be only 7.8 miles??? This is consistent with the other comments about the length of the trails being off here. Although someone also said the road was not a service road, it definitely was. Lemmon Rock Trail (the one with the Fire Lookout Point) is not a service road, but Mount Lemmon Trail was for the last 1.5 miles we walked back (we went south to north from Wilderness of Rocks Trail). Lots of incline - be prepared for a moderate-difficult hike!

Nice trail. Began at summit then went out and back. Tracker read almost 11 miles but I did wander off the trail a little. Would rate it a bit tougher than moderate. Bring lots of water. Worth the hike.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

The area was beautiful, but I wish I would have known how rocky the trail is!

Monday, June 27, 2016

It was the greatest hike ever

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Good time!!

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Such an awesome trail. Check weather before setting out. Some parts of the trail have no shade what-so-ever and can be grueling. Worth it, though!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Beautiful Trail on the way up.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Mt Lemmon was our family's escape from the city of Tucson! We lived there for 6 years and at least once a month if not more took the trip up the mountain! I loved it because you started going up through saguaros, and all of sudden you go around a corner and you are in a forest of pines! Loved feeling the mountain air after being in the summers of AZ. It averages about a 20 degree difference once you reach the mountain town on the top. There is a great gorge in the back to take a hike where hardly anyone goes! Easy enough for my toddlers to walk along with a little help. I will miss Mt Lemmon for sure! This is also where my husband proposed to me, and where we had our first kiss! Mt Lemmon holds a very special place in my heart.

Sunday, September 16, 2012