Mount Lemmon Trail

Mount Lemmon Trail is a 9.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Lemmon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

old growth

Directions from Tucson: Take the Catalina Highway off Tanque Verde Road in Tucson. Drive 4.2 miles to the Forest boundary and continue 28 miles, past Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley, to the power substation on Radio Ridge. Hike west on the trail to a dirt road. Hike down the road to the trail junction.

Again, Not quite how the trail was supposed to go. Started on mount lemon trail and from there took several other trails. The wilderness of rocks was just amazing, got to see some white tail deer. The views were spectacular my longest hike so far, just a little over 12 miles!! Am beat but so worth it!!

Great LONG hike. We actually did the Mount Lemmon Trail Loop (Meadow Loop -> Lemmon Rock Trail -> Wilderness of Rocks Trail -> Mount Lemmon Trail). The whole loop was 10.5 miles according to my phone GPS and Apple Watch - however AllTrails estimates it to be only 7.8 miles??? This is consistent with the other comments about the length of the trails being off here. Although someone also said the road was not a service road, it definitely was. Lemmon Rock Trail (the one with the Fire Lookout Point) is not a service road, but Mount Lemmon Trail was for the last 1.5 miles we walked back (we went south to north from Wilderness of Rocks Trail). Lots of incline - be prepared for a moderate-difficult hike!

Nice trail. Began at summit then went out and back. Tracker read almost 11 miles but I did wander off the trail a little. Would rate it a bit tougher than moderate. Bring lots of water. Worth the hike.

The area was beautiful, but I wish I would have known how rocky the trail is!

It was the greatest hike ever

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Good time!!

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Such an awesome trail. Check weather before setting out. Some parts of the trail have no shade what-so-ever and can be grueling. Worth it, though!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Beautiful Trail on the way up.

Friday, July 05, 2013

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Mt Lemmon was our family's escape from the city of Tucson! We lived there for 6 years and at least once a month if not more took the trip up the mountain! I loved it because you started going up through saguaros, and all of sudden you go around a corner and you are in a forest of pines! Loved feeling the mountain air after being in the summers of AZ. It averages about a 20 degree difference once you reach the mountain town on the top. There is a great gorge in the back to take a hike where hardly anyone goes! Easy enough for my toddlers to walk along with a little help. I will miss Mt Lemmon for sure! This is also where my husband proposed to me, and where we had our first kiss! Mt Lemmon holds a very special place in my heart.

Monday, May 27, 2013