Learn more

Mount Kimball via Finger Rock Canyon Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(464)
Pusch Ridge Wilderness

Mount Kimball via Finger Rock Canyon Trail is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking and is best used from October until March.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 4,189 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Bring 3 liters of water per person (even on a cool day). The ascent on this trail is intense. It’s mostly exposed to full sunlight, very steep, and often on less than ideal footing. Please note a permit is required to park overnight.

This is a nice hike with a clear trail, no surprises, and it is a solid workout. Started at 7 am and most of the way up the trail was shaded. I am an experienced, but not expert, hiker and completed it in 6 hours exactly (with a 40 min rest at the top), but was trying to keep a fast pace. Nice view at the top. Used about 4-5 L of water in May. My phone recorded this as approximately 11 miles.

Its took me 6 hours 30 minutes, Hard but awesome hike.

Great hike, but TOUGH! Started at 7 am, and I wish I left way earlier.. Total time was about 6 hours. From the parking lot to the top and back was just under 12 miles on my watch.. Beautiful views and lots of wildlife, but bring a ton of water and leave early. I had shade the whole way up, which was pleasant, but the way back was insanely hot. Only reason I’m not giving 5 stars is that it was very buggy towards top and sometimes hard to find the path

From parking to summit my phone recorded 12 miles (that is if you park on the street if the lot is full) This trail is all uphill, rocky that gets close to the occasional drop off, no shade, and gets very narrow as well a lot less maintained after you pass the saddle. It was 90 degrees F today and I took 4 liters of water but I ran out on the way down. If you do this when it's hot I recommend at least 5 liters. Also I did this alone and was fine. It was an adventure!

Not a good trail for a beginner. The mid section ascent of the trail is steep and with a lot of loose rocks on the trail, it’s very easy to fall. Views are amazing. Very rewarding view of Tucson. Would not advise doing trail alone as I did, and would suggest bringing 4 liters of water.

Nice.

Beautiful trail that crosses some water towards the beginning. Then is heads up and up and up. Some of the areas are a little sketchy with a long fall. Wouldn’t recommend bringing kids or going solo like I did. Nice shade from the ridge before noon.

Amazing trail, had lots of fun going on it with my dad. There’s one thing thought... what ever you do check the weather before you go all the way up so you aren’t doomed to repeat our mistakes. When it starts to rain and you are literally just inches away from a 100 foot drop off it’s very slick almost dies twice even with amazing boots on would not recommend for beginning hikers as it’s slick and it’s easy to get lost.

It’s NOT 8.8....more 10.2-ish. Otherwise tough hike with beautiful views