Mount Baldy Trail (West Baldy)

Mount Baldy Trail (West Baldy) is a 17 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Eagar, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful trail. If you would like to enjoy vistas plan on about 8 hours for a round trip. The top can be under the snow even in May-June.

I love both the West Baldy and the East Baldy trails.

Great trail! Not good for first timers. Very scenic no peaceful. Lots of people going in both directions.

Easy hike and amazing views. The trail goes along the Little Colorado River. We didn't go a the way to the top but it worth taking this trail. We had the dogs with us and they had the blast, they were pretty much in the river all the way back and forth. The trail was not busy at,all, we met few people on the way and one couple was camping like 2 miles into the hike. The weather was amazing too so we stopped by the river and just relaxed before heading back to the parking lot. we got in around 1pm, out by 5 pm and we did not hurry, took the time to admire the views and enjoy the weather.

I have never made it all the way and actually have no idea how far i have gone. I only know that my angel bride and I did the trail a few times in the mid to late 1990's with her daughter in tow so we always stopped after a few miles. We might have made it 5 miles but not sure. SInce Brenda became and angel I have done it again after 15 years a few times including taking her ashes to what I call Brenda's Meadow. A meadow on the right as you go up that is almost hidden. I saw wild turkeys running in it once. I don't know if I will ever make it further but treasure one of the most beautiful hikes on the planet earth.

7/30/16
The prettiest trail I've done in AZ so far, and also the hardest. Definitely felt the elevation gain and my feet have never felt as sore after finishing before, but totally worth it. It has grassy meadows, rocky climbs with outlooks, forested switchbacks, and a peak that sits above the treeline. As I neared the summit (have to have a permit granted by the tribe there), a thunderstorm rolled in, so my time up top was very short. Highlight would definitely be the clearing towards the top with the broken plane wing surrounded by lush, purple flowers and literally buzzing with hummingbirds. Absolutely gorgeous.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

This trail rocks. Western side is more of a flat walk until the last 2-3 miles. Great trail alongside the Little Colorado.

Starting at the west trailhead parking lot will take you up towards the peak, where it branches off to the eastern trailhead. There is then a 3.5 mile crossover back to the western trail as you approach the east trailhead parking lot (if you are heading from east trail to west, this crossover trail goes up--bit strenuous), where you can make your way back to the west parking lot.

East trail is a bit more mountainous: more rocks, better views, cliffs.

West trail is 8 miles, east is 6 miles, crossover is 3.5 miles, and there's a ~2 mile trek back to the west trailhead after completing the crossover: making the whole west-east loop just shy of 20 miles.

Worth noting: you can backpack in on this trail to set up a camp in a pretty secluded little oasis on the west trail.

If you're one who fancies pictures and views instead of distance, just do ~half of the east trail (takes you to a nice view, 6-7 miles round trip: it's uphill) and maybe a mile or two of the west trail to check out the Little Colorado.

Monday, August 08, 2016

The West Baldy trail is one of my favorite trails in AZ. The trail goes through Alpine meadows that are gorgeous with their bloom of wildflowers and tall grass as you follow the beautiful small meandering Little Colorado for several miles. Along the way you enter into and out of patches of lushes spruce forests crossing little creeks on the trail. These fairly level trail goes for a few miles before leaving the meadows and river. Once you leave the river as the trail heads into a different direction, you get into more thick beautiful forest area for the remainder of the trail. After about a mile or so you start the clime up with switch backs along the way. There are several times that you have some incredible views seeing as far as the eye can see. I took the trail to the top where the East trail connects and returned the way I came.

The one draw back of the trail I felt was the end of the trail which is a very disappointing anti-climatic. After making a hard clime the last two miles or so I had expected more of a reward but there is literally noting to see at the trials junction at the top. You are surround by short stubby trees that are so dense you can't see through them, so there is no view. I would recommend instead of going to the top to stop at a large out crop of rocks that sits on the very saddle of the mountain. A good place to catch a view, have lunch, and prepare to re-trace your steps back down to the beautiful river and gorgeous meadows below.

Monday, July 18, 2016