Mormon Loop to National Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1090)
South Mountain Preserve

Mormon Loop to National Trail Loop is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,167 feet Route Type: Loop

Awesome trail, hiked it this morning with my two boys, age 10 and 7. The gnats that are infesting Usery aren't here, which was amazing and made the hike so much more enjoyable!

Nice easy trail for a beginner hiker or bring the kids out for some adventures. Go earlier morning and bring your water & sun protection because there is no shade this whole loop. Decent amount of mountain bikers so make sure you give them right of way. Another hiker mentioned hearing a rattler but we never did. Be careful and keep your eyes on the trail. lots of lizards and little chipmunks.

On my top 10. Take Mormon to national... When National goes downhill don’t do that. Instead, take the steep trail ahead straight up that hill ahead. Traverse the ridge, stay right/middle (you gotta look) and go up another hill... ( it around) map it and find a very lightly traveled hard to find trail that wraps south around him to go down andmeet up with where you would have gone if you went right, downhill where I said to go straight up the hill. (I’m sadly Skipping this beloved section until snake season is over) Map it! Before hand!! It’s one of my favorites in my top 10. Actually it’s in the top 5. Then cruise over past the ruins uphill to mid life crisis aka south ridge line... go East to Marcos de niza (map it for turnoff) for an easy down and huff and puff stair stepping burner Back up. Back down Then take National (Super popular Mountainbike trail) so turn The tunes down and watch out. Then walk/jog down Mormon on those beautifully grippy rocks. Love it!!

Being new to the hiking game, I really enjoyed this hike. Not too busy during the sunrise and great views of the area. Excited to check out others on this mountain.

The sunset metro Phoenix views were beautiful. The rattlesnake freaked me out. He was two feet away and rattled as I passed him. I could tell he really wanted to get me.

Great trail and amazing views of Phoenix. Would recommend this hike. So many cool things to see. We logged 5.6 miles.

Mountain bikers every 10 minutes.

Great trail with 280° views of the Phoenix valley.

Great views. Great hike. This is around 5.2 miles

Great trail! Amazing views of the entire Phoenix valley from the top! You can see McDowell mountain range, Four Peaks, Superstition Mountains and San Tan Mountains!

Great trail but the total distance was closer to 5.5 mi rather than 4.7.

Easy

If you can come on this hike after it’s rained for a few days wow all of the hills are green it was absolutely stunning with wild flowers in the spring.

This hike was definitely challenging and the views were incredible once you get about three and a half miles in. I didn't give this 5 stars because I set out to do fat man's pass but I couldn't find it so I just kept going on the National loop trail till I felt I needed turn back due to time constraints. National loop is about 13 miles and as far as I went the signs clearly indicated the path. I can't see myself doing the whole thing, I'd rather go out to Sedona or Payson to invest that kind of time.

We hiked this trail while visiting from out of state. Great views! It was definitely uneven ground but very clearly marked path to get to top. Highly recommend!

2/23/20- Perfect hike with one of my good friends after a rain. I enjoyed the nice and crisp air the whole time on the trail. :)

Great trail, there’s a nice viewpoint rock at 2,000ft where you can sit and have food and a take a rest, just before the loop starts. I was stupid and didn’t bring enough water ! Rookie error. Trail is pretty clearly marked and enjoyable. Wasn’t too busy.

Great trail for a decent workout and nice view with wildflowers and rock formations

awesome hike in the south preserve, will definitely get your heart pumping!lots of mountaim bikers once you get onto the loop itself from the trailhead but there is plenty of space to step off and didn't have any issues