Mormon Loop to National Trail Loop

Mormon Loop to National Trail Loop is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pretty good ascent right out of the parking lot. Great views on the way up. Got a little confused on which way to go to do the Mormon loop counter clock wise. Lost the main trail at Fat Man's Pass. Hike was great. Watch out for dog crap, there was alot.

Really nice mid hike, especially in the cooler months. Took a little over two hours for me with only stopping a couple times on the climbs. Really great views of the valley along the trail. Slick rock up from the Mormon trailhead can be pretty slick after recent rain.

Nice hike and can become busy with mountain bikes down a particular stretch. Trekking poles or walking stick suggested after a recent rain due to slippery rocks. Beautiful landscape.

This was a pretty okay trail. Good elevation gain to reach the loop. FatMan’s Pass and the Natural Tunnel were very cool and worth the trip alone. They are counter clockwise off the loop, fyi. The trail was very busy. You park on the side of the road. When I returned to my car, several other cars had a window that had been broken. I’d go back, but just for the Pass & Tunnel.

Awesome hike! Be warned its goes up, up, up but once on top there is so much to explore. Beautiful but very busy with people. dogs and bikers

Great hike, lots of great views and desert landscape. We also went to Fat mans pass and hiked mountain boulders. There were friendly families, dogs, mountain bikers. Fun for all ages. I would definitely recommend.

Beautiful hike ! I highly recommend this trail

Harder than I expected, but totally worth it! Watch out for bees (on the ground). Lots of other hikers and mountain bikers (very impressed as it was steep) - everyone was nice/ respectful. Very scenic! Fat-man’s pass was cool! I’m going to sleep well tonight!

Really nice trail, (if only dog’s owner could just pick
Up after their own dog),

Best trail on south mountain !

hiked up to the peak with my 12 yr old, nice views at the top and not too steep. Elevation at the peak before the loop is about 1959 ft, good workout for kids.

Did this hike a month ago and it was awesome!! Moderate difficulty, the hardest part is the incline in the beginning, but then it evens out for the rest of the hike. Moderate to highly trafficked at the beginning but felt the crowd thins out as you keep going. My friend and I went to the tunnel and Fat Man's pass, both were super fun to see. Got a little lost at one point trying to find the tunnel but easily found our way back. The views at the lookout points are incredible, you can see the entire valley. I would definitely say you could bring a beginner here. Most of the trail is in the sun. Also note there's a parking lot at the trailhead, but to access it, don't enter through the preserve's main entrance areas (just go directly from 24th or adjacent streets).

Moderate trail and decent workout. Nothing extraordinary to see, mostly the same terrain but I always recommend South Mountain in late winter to see the vegetation start blooming. Makes for a pretty hike but watch out for bees.

Wonderful Hike! We didn’t go to the Fat mans pass but did go to the tunnel. Saw the a gorgeous sunset on the way back on National to Javelina.

Good trail. Moderate to hard. Good to train with just enough hills. Good for MTB riding as well

great trail. beautiful view. I would do it again.

Usually prefer the forests of WA state, but this rocky trail won me over and it is a great spot for kids. Rock slides, Fat Man Pass, views, cactus all made it interesting from start to finish!

Great hike. Was closer to 6 miles but great views of the valley.

I've done this trail at least 52 times for sure! This is a great trail, love everything about this trail. Could have better parking but I always went on Monday's so it was fine.

Great views of the city. My Fitbit clocked it at about 7 miles. A real fun scale up, not rocky, and not strenuous.

My Girl and I wanted to do “Fatman’s Pass” off the Mormon Loop, but we couldn’t find it. We ended up taking a random trail down the side of the mountain before the trail turns south and loops back. It took us to a really nice neighborhood. We walked the wilderness behind the homes and saw a coyote! It was beautiful. However, I’m pretty sure we were trespassing, and we never found Fatman’s Pass.

Easy start to a more advanced hike

just did the mormon trail, great hike, will do the loop next time

Great hike with my mom and dog! will do it again.

Had a great time, not too difficult. Had two dogs with me, lab and Aussie mix. Had plenty of room for both. Trail wasn’t too crowded. Took about 45 min up, 35 down. Saw some kiddos on the trail as well.

Awesome for beginners. I live the views and all the different areas with shade. Great views. Wide trail.

One of my favorite trails- great views of PHX at sunset/sunrise. Moderately difficult.

Great trail. Gets a lot of use but everyone is courteous.

Solid hike and a great workout as there are some steep inclines at times. Incredible views of downtown Phoenix, Sky Harbor Airport, and the rest of the metro area.

Great trail. Good mix of moderately steep and flat. Great views as with most South Mountain trails.