Monument Canyon and Broadway Cave via Jacob's Trail

Monument Canyon and Broadway Cave via Jacob's Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features a cave. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

I've gone twice in the last week. Each time I arrive in the cave I am swarmed by a few bees within minutes that won't leave me or my pack alone. I love this trail and cave, but the bees are very annoying when trying to cool off in the cave. I more or less waited for them to get off my bag so i could grab it and head back down! Good luck everyone!

First off, Parking is free so no need for that Tonto pass. The trail is mostly on rocks, put on your hiking shoes. I'm not clumsy, but found myself almost slipping and falling on loose rocks when coming down. I highly recommend starting earlier than 8am to avoid being to hot. It feels so nice and cool at the cave, I didn't want to go down and experience the 20 degree increase in temperature. Me and my puppy both found the cave dark and scary to walk in. Next time I won't go alone so I can further explore the cave.

We enjoyed the hike and it’s well worth it. Trail is easy until you get to the base of the mountain. Trail is pretty easy to follow. We did get a little off trail on the way down but with the GPS we were able to quickly get back on the trail!

This would have been 4 stars if the cave was more spectacular or the trail had been less rocky and better marked.
I followed the path of least resistance without looking at my GPS coming down, and ended up taking a detour through the desert to get back to the trail.

Neat hike, finding the trial up the mountain was a little tricky because there is no signage at all for the Cave. There is graffiti and trash up at the top but, it was very cool to make it up.

Meandered through the desert until you reach the base of the mountain and start to climb rapidly. I was with my dog so the climb felt a bit more extreme than if I was going alone. Beautiful view, the cave is not terribly vandalized but there is a bit of graffiti, and well it's a cave, not the Hilton. I'm from Indiana so I'm not desensitized by the beauty here yet!

This was my first time here. Gradually progressive trail. Wouldn't rate the entire trail as hard. Maybe just last 100 yards to entrance of the cave. Starts off very easy and flat. Then a gradual incline over loose rock. The final ascent is fairly steep and rocky. The cave is large and offers a 10-15 degree drop in temperature. Unfortunately, there is a lot of graffiti and smells like urine. Signs of old bonfires. Great views! Not heavily trafficked. Spent about 30 minutes alone in the cave.
This app definitely helped. Once you get to the second Jacob's Crosscut sign go behind and to the right of the marker. The trail is hard to pick up and looks more like a wash. Saw some early cactus flowers. Only found two spots of shade other than the cave. Parking lot only holds 8 cars.The name of this map should be changed to Broadway Cave via Jacob's Crosscut.

Wouldn’t really say this hike is hard, more on the moderate side. Nice view from the cave though! Only hard part was staying on the trail past the 2nd Jacobs crosscut sign.

A wonderful trail especially if you like scrambling up trails. The trail is mostly stones of various sizes and can easily mislead your direction. Pay attention to the cairns for navigation. But once you get to the cave the view is super.

***A note for future hikers: Please be considerate and not block the view.***

We hiked this today and there was a group of people who sat on the rocks right in the way of the view of the desert. They stayed there for quite a long time and had their snacks there too.

Other than that, the hike was pretty amazing. Just be aware that the trail itself is not marked as Monument Canyon. The map in this app got us there.

Starts off super easy , flat with beautiful views of superstition mtn and a forest of lovely saguaros. But the BEST part is broadway cave for sure ! Beautiful outlook. NOT high trafficked so makes it even better

The last portion of this trail is steep and has a TON of loose rocks ! Go at your own risk since not maintained

*free parking *

Great view from the cave. Starts of easy and gets difficult as you ascend up to the cave.

It’s tricky getting to the cave but so worth it!

Other than the view at the top from the cave this was not a great trail. Once you depart from the main trail and start ascending up toward the cave the trail is hard to follow and so rocky it was like climbing up a river of ball bearings in many places. The climb itself is steep but very short so if you’re looking for a workout choose another trail.
I also have concerns about the sustainability of this trail. As a trail builder (and thus trail snob) and former public land manager I wouldn’t recommend many people come this way. It is steep and loose and will erode badly over time, especially if it sees much traffic.

We really enjoyed this hike! We went today (New Years Day) and only passed one other hiker coming from the cave. The ascent was difficult, with the loose rocks, but I made it in my chacos! We had the cave to ourselves! We used these directions found online (see below) and made sure to double check with the map on here and we had no trouble with getting lost.

The first part of the hike uses Jacob's Crosscut Trail starting from the Broadway trailhead. There are three intersections:
- at 0.6 miles go straight on the Crosscut Trail rather than right on the Goldmine trail.
- at 1.3 mile go straight into Monument Canyon on an unofficial path rather then left on the Crosscut trail
- at 1.6 miles go right on an unoffical path. There's a large cairn or two at the intersection.

Make sure to check out the prospectors mine shaft at the back of the cave! That and the view were my favorite parts.

Surprisingly challenging. Wave Cave is better.

Great view!

Loved this trail with the family and friends. We did miss the trail to go up to the cave so we had to back track and got lost a few times but found our way thanks to the Alltrails app. The views were beautiful and the hike was nice and again coming down from the cave we got lost and had to use the app to find our way back to the path. We learned to follow the piles of rock other hikers have left to mark the path.