Montana Mountain Loop Trail

Montana Mountain Loop Trail is a 34.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Great high desert loop route for SUVs and ATVs, that climbs to over 5,000 feet with panoramic desert and mountain views. Crosses many hiking trails into the bordering Superstition Wilderness. Popular area for ATVs and dirt bikes. Stay on existing roads at all times. Located in Tonto National Forest. For current conditions call Mesa Ranger District (480) 610-3300 Easy until F.S. 650 where it becomes narrow, steep and rutted. Stock vehicles with high ground clearance and good articulation can make it, although some 4x4 driving skill is necessary. Slippery at the top when wet.

off road driving

Fun, easygoing trail with great views at the top. No problem for a stock 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport.

off road driving

Fun, relatively easy, had a couple tricky areas but no problems in a stock Jeep. Beautiful views and lots of wildflowers in the spring time.

off road driving

Excellent 4wd ride for a half-day or full-day. It can be a little crowded in parts on a nice weather weekend...otherwise I'd give this road a five star rating. The lower parts of the loop are fairly easy going. The higher parts (especially along FS 650) can get tricky at times. I've been on this road several times, and the condition of the road is never the same two trips in a row. If there has been any weather recently, parts of the loop can be slippery, or even snow covered in winter months. There are several shallow streams you'll cross. I've never been up there when they've been deep enough to consider not crossing, but I bet it happens at times.
So...the rating of easy to moderate for this road can depend on current conditions. Personally, I wouldn't drive the entire loop without a high clearance 4WD vehicle in good working condition. Good tires and all...
The views, trails and wildlife along this route are awesome! One of these weekends, I'm going to camp overnight in one of the spots up high. There are many!
Oh, and one last consideration. The trail rating says dog friendly. Personally, I wouldn't bring any dog up there (or anywhere in Superstition Wilderness and similar areas) if that dog hasn't been through training to ignore rattlesnakes. This isn't a problem in the winter when the snakes hibernate. But there ARE rattlesnakes in the summer. And way more dogs get in trouble with rattlesnakes than humans do. There are several options for training your dog about rattlesnakes by going to this link - https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=dog+rattlesnake+training&*

off road driving

Had a great time on this trail. Lotsa folks sharing this trail. Why some people start in the opposite direction is beyond belief. Trail does get really narrow. Springtime views are beautiful.

off road driving

rated easy in arizona back roads and 4-wheel drive trails. took about 4 hours and was very scenic through various terrains desert mountain and forest definitely need an off road vehicle

off road driving

Great trail! Not too rocky or crazy, gets narrow in some places, and that's coming from a Honda Element driver haha.

off road driving

It was a lot of fun. Went with some out of town friends and the hubby. We all had an amazing time. We drove an element and it got through everywhere pretty easily. Recommended for sure!

off road driving

Nice easy trail with great scenic views. I'll echo the other reviews and say no real need for 4wd, but it was an enjoyable trail for the whole family. There are some great areas to pull off and eat lunch while looking back towards the valley. If you don't want to do the whole loop I would recommend doing the first half. The second half is faster with more graded roads but less panoramic views.

off road driving

Very scenic easy trip in my teryx side by side. Took approx 4 hours for complete loop stopped couple times for few mins to enjoy the view. Highly recommend this trail for anyone looking for easy trail ride and many good views.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Good trail. I went on a Tuesday and there was still a decent amount of traffic. When you first enter the trail you drive through several shooting ranges, so just keep that in mind. Most of the trail, if not all, can be done in 2wd if you have decent tires. I did it in a 2012 Nissan Frontier on 32" AT's and a 2.5" lift. Made it just fine. Had my mom with me so I definitely took the conservative lines. Trail gets a bit more interesting once you really start climbing. Definitely recommend this trail for jeeps and other off road oriented vehicles. Beautiful scenery as well.

Monday, November 16, 2015

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Def not a bad trail. I did not ever really need to put it in 4wd, went the wrong way a couple times, and saw a lot of cool stuff. It is a good trail, just nothing too challenging. I would go again, but I would prepare more. It took me 6 or so hours since I happened to wander off and take a couple wrong turns. MAKE sure you follow the Woodbury and Rogers trough sign at the beginning and don't go into the little town/ village.

Saturday, February 02, 2013

This was a fun and challenging trip. The drive up on Montana Mountain was rutted, rocky, narrow in places, especially on the switchbacks. Easy at the beginning and end and moderate in the middle on the mountain. Highly recommended.

Saturday, February 02, 2013

This was a great scenic day drive! We drove through high desert mountain landscapes and high mountain pines and washes filled with rain water. This road should only be driven with a 4x4, high-clearance vehicle! (We drove our Jeep Wrangler with no lift and did fine.) The last half of the trail (POIs 4-6) was moderate to difficult. This part of the trail had lots of switchbacks, large exposed rocks and part of the trail had been turned into a river wash from the rains the previous week. The guides POIs were extremely helpful! Without them we would have taken the wrong trail/road. I would definitely recommend this drive! We had a lot of fun! Plan on spending about 4 1/2 hours to drive the short 34 miles.