Montana Mountain Loop Trail

Montana Mountain Loop Trail is a 34.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Great high desert loop route for SUVs and ATVs, that climbs to over 5,000 feet with panoramic desert and mountain views. Crosses many hiking trails into the bordering Superstition Wilderness. Popular area for ATVs and dirt bikes. Stay on existing roads at all times. Located in Tonto National Forest. For current conditions call Mesa Ranger District (480) 610-3300 Easy until F.S. 650 where it becomes narrow, steep and rutted. Stock vehicles with high ground clearance and good articulation can make it, although some 4x4 driving skill is necessary. Slippery at the top when wet.

off road driving

I just spoke with Mesa Ranger District and they tell me that Hewitt Station Road is closed to off roaders. It is a private road and the owner is tired of the abusive off roaders that are going too fast ... so he has closed the road.

off road driving

This trail is rocky in some areas. Took us 4 hours for the loop. Steep in some areas. Mountain is narrow in spots. If you're a bigginer I recommend the first part of the trail. More moderate on the mountain. 3 gates that you have to keep closed after passing through. We did a night ride which was still beautiful. 4x4 a must, high clearance needed in some areas too! Over all lots of fun! Enjoy and be safe.

off road driving

A Very fun trail for a dirtbike but the forest street is closed between the entrance and last four miles so you have to take trail 252 which adds a couple extra miles. The trail is very rocky going up and coming down the steepest parts but still fun. I almost got hit by two deer jumping across the trail.

off road driving

super beautiful. pretty long do make sure you have time allotted to tackle the entire loop but very worth it. You don't have to do the entire thing butt even doing part of the trail is super fun. I will be back time and time again to tackle this trail with my Subaru but in the meantime I used the Lexus. I love the scenery that this state has to offer. Just a hop and a skip past AJ

Fun and scenic trail. Most trucks and suvs could make it up the first part of the trail (the 172 I think) but I would recommend high clearance and good tires once you get to the 650 near the top. We used 4x4 once but that was because we went off trail down one of the washes where the sand was deep.

No one mentioned the gates. There are 3 gates for cattle along the way. Just move them and close behind you. The sign was knocked off the first gate and might confuse someone into thinking the area was closed.

off road driving

I wheeled it in my 2007 Tacoma prerunner with K02 tires and aired down to 19 psi. We had no problems climbing all the hill.
There are 3 gates that nobody mentions but just make sure to close them. The trail over all was a lot of fun.

off road driving

Fun, easygoing trail with great views at the top. No problem for a stock 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport.

off road driving

Fun, relatively easy, had a couple tricky areas but no problems in a stock Jeep. Beautiful views and lots of wildflowers in the spring time.

off road driving

Excellent 4wd ride for a half-day or full-day. It can be a little crowded in parts on a nice weather weekend...otherwise I'd give this road a five star rating. The lower parts of the loop are fairly easy going. The higher parts (especially along FS 650) can get tricky at times. I've been on this road several times, and the condition of the road is never the same two trips in a row. If there has been any weather recently, parts of the loop can be slippery, or even snow covered in winter months. There are several shallow streams you'll cross. I've never been up there when they've been deep enough to consider not crossing, but I bet it happens at times.
So...the rating of easy to moderate for this road can depend on current conditions. Personally, I wouldn't drive the entire loop without a high clearance 4WD vehicle in good working condition. Good tires and all...
The views, trails and wildlife along this route are awesome! One of these weekends, I'm going to camp overnight in one of the spots up high. There are many!
Oh, and one last consideration. The trail rating says dog friendly. Personally, I wouldn't bring any dog up there (or anywhere in Superstition Wilderness and similar areas) if that dog hasn't been through training to ignore rattlesnakes. This isn't a problem in the winter when the snakes hibernate. But there ARE rattlesnakes in the summer. And way more dogs get in trouble with rattlesnakes than humans do. There are several options for training your dog about rattlesnakes by going to this link - https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=dog+rattlesnake+training&*

off road driving

Had a great time on this trail. Lotsa folks sharing this trail. Why some people start in the opposite direction is beyond belief. Trail does get really narrow. Springtime views are beautiful.

off road driving

rated easy in arizona back roads and 4-wheel drive trails. took about 4 hours and was very scenic through various terrains desert mountain and forest definitely need an off road vehicle