Mohave Trail (#200)

Mohave Trail (#200) is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did Mojave today. Wonder about the spelling of the name. The sign on the street reads Mojave but the signs on the trail read Mohave. Oh well, Mojave is Mohave is Mojave, I guess. The trail might be said to proceed along two wings, one to the north and one to the south. The northbound wing is easy and nearly effortless, with just a little elevation gain, but the southbound wing is much trickier, or even downright tricky. That trail quickly narrows, until eventually it is completely blocked. To the left is a field of smaller flat rocks offering plenty of room for rattlesnakes to lay in wait, and to the right is a boulder and other larger rocks blocking the trail, also offering room for snakes. You can climb over if you are willing, but the trail past that point becomes so narrow as to require use of handholds. If you make it that far you probably won't be going back and you are greeted by a final scramble over rocks to reach the true top. Today, after I came down, there was a very attractive girl with a dog who started up the same way. I thought to ask her if she had ever been up that way before but didn't want her to get the wrong impression so just let her go. Mojave is a short hike, but challenging if one tackles the southbound wing. Fun stuff.

Fun hike. Enough elevation to be challenging. You won't be lonely...lots of hikers and dogs. Did the 3.5 miles in under 2 hours.

Great for a quiet walk! As others have noted, sections are poorly marked and so it can be a little confusing. But I enjoyed it very much, good walk with quiet spots to meditate.

Decent trail for shorter outings. Has some options up to various peaks for some good views.

Great trail - could be better marked in a few spots. Didn’t quite get to the end due to an overgrown bush (and best part is really at the peak midway on trail). Still a great workout that only takes just over an hour.

Great quick hike!

We did this hike after Piestewa summit hike because we just didn’t want to leave yet, and I am really impressed with this hike. After being on crowded Piestewa, this mountain is desolate. We only saw 3 other hikers. The climb is challenging but enjoyable. The views are awesome. You get to see the mansions all around. Took us about 1.3 hours round trip (2.2 miles). It was a nice relaxing hike. You don’t feel like trail runners and expert hikers are going to run you down. It also connects with other trails so you can extend the hike. I recommended it, especially if you are not sure you could summit the bigger mountains.

Great Hiking for Families and Dogs. Beautiful View!!!

this was a hike for a girl my size but I did it. I did it!

Eh. It was okay.. more like a leisurely stroll. Got lost halfway. Trail is not very well marked.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Gorgeous view, nice elevation, less crowded than nearby trails!

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Nice stroll, it is perfect to take the dog on. definitely not difficult. more of a nature walk than a hike. :)

Saturday, February 18, 2017

I walked over to Piestewa Peak Park today from my home nearby on 12th Street. I planned to do the 1A around the back of the Summit mountain, but as I walked in to the park on Squaw Peak Drive, I looked over to the right and saw an appealing peak I had never paid any attention to before. There were no trail markings visible near the road, and hiking off-trail in the park is strictly prohibited, but I thought I would hike out a bit just to see what I could see. From the road it looked like the desert rose directly up the the summit, but as I approached I saw that the desert rambled off to the right while the summit rose up abruptly to the left. My dream of finding a new and unmarked path was quickly dashed as I came to an unmarked but still well-tramped trail with boot prints and broken beer bottles to show that I wasn't the first one there. The first trail ran out at a wash and I headed up the mountain, not quite sure what I might find. There wasn't a trail marking to be seen on either trail, but I headed up anyway. When I got to the top I found the marker, and it was 200, the Mohave Trail! I have been on Mohave several times but I have always approached it from the trailhead just off of Squaw Peak Drive. One time I peaked over the top and wondered if it might be possible to head down that way and wind up where I wanted to be, but I didn't try it. Today, that's how I got to the 200, sort of the back way. Anyway, fun and different today at the park. If you find it, you'll enjoy it.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

I hiked Mohave 200 today. Nice short hike but somewhat different that it goes to the top and then down the other side. When I came back down decided to take the 202 connector trail. If you like walking a loop take the 202 all the way to Quartz Ridge trail and up over the peak. Then take Margaret Hamilton back down to the parking lot. This empties out at the top parking lot but it's a short walk back down to Mohave Parking. Got there at 8am and all parking was filled (Saturday). Almost no one on the 202 or 200. Quartz Ridge is busy.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Short, easy beginner or warm up trail.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Went up the 200A today. That is the Eastern wing of the Mohave, also known as the 200. The 200 sweeps West from the trailhead,and the 200A sweeps East. The 200A is a more difficult hike, proceeding through switchbacks up the side of the mountain to around 2,000 feet. It appears to be just about twice as high as the 200. The 200 is a more interesting hike, with unique rocks and plant cover and the opportunity to bushwhack off-trail to reach the top. There is no bushwhacking on the 200A, but it tests your lungs and your legs anyway. The trail continues down from the top and seems to travel off into the distance, but from the top, there is a great view all around. Mohave is directly across the street from the Summit and it provides a good view. 200A looks to be only about 500 feet under the Summit, so it's a climb to the top. The 200A a little bit offbeat for Piestewa Peak Park, but still fun to do and a little bit challenging.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

it was my first hike in years and it was a great hike. I will be going back again.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

This is another good alternate hike in the Phoenix Mountains Park. It is far less crowded and quite scenic. I parked at the Mohave lot and took trail 200 to it's end for a great view of the rest of the park, as well as the city. The 202 trail is great too, you can take an unnamed trail to the top of a mountain before looping back to the connector trail. This is a steep climb with great views. This trail is great for views of wildlife, nature, and big and beautiful houses. Good for solitude as well.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Back on Mohave today. A quick hike after work. This is a short, fun hike that lies directly across Squaw Peak Drive from the Summit. It is not terribly difficult, but you can raise a sweat if you hustle. It might actually be a bit boring, except for the chance to do a little bushwacking on the way up. To find a little adventure, where the trail turns right to continue along as it is defined, veer left instead and start scrambling over rocks. That course is manageable, even if a little bit unfriendly. The trail definitely ends there and the hiker is left to scramble up the rocks to the top. It is not really difficult, but one could easily miss a step and crash down onto rocks. Reaching the summit from that approach, one finds the rough end. There are pretty rocks at the top and a great view of the Summit. There is also a face along the western side and I think that is one of the few places in the park where a hiker could die. Mohave is the 200. There is also the 202, which is the Mohave Extension. That is also a decent hike, and they can both be done on one trip.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Mohave is one of the more interesting trails at Piestewa Peak Park. Not overly difficult but it can still raise a sweat. There are 2 sides to it, the 200 Mohave and the 202 Mohave Connector. Getting to the top of the 200 it is necessary to scramble over fallen down boulders and then up to the top. There are good views from there. The 202 is the more difficult trail, climbing through switchbacks steeply up the side of the mountain. Either way there is a little work involved.

Friday, February 12, 2016

Thought I'd try a new hike today, so I tried this one. It was a Nice trail, not difficult for me at all. The first part is steep, but after that, mostly flat. Like I said, a nice (nature) trail. Probably won't do it again.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

My friend Alice, and of course Happy the Dog, met at the trailhead at 8 AM. The parking lots were filling up, but we both found spots to park. The trail markings weren't as clear as they might have been; that is, if we had kept our eyes open, we would've seen the small note on the last marker that read 'Trail Ends'. Since we didn't, we forged ahead, thinking we were still on the trail. Once we figured out there were no longer any markers, we headed back the way we came, and I guess we get extra credit for extending the trail. Not sure I would call this trail EASY, as it was a pretty significant cardio workout. I was pleased that there were so few people on the trail, and those we met were happy to meet Happy, off leash though he was. Gorgeous day, good trail, I'd do this one again.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Snuck over to this trail today for a quick after-work hike. It is conveniently located about halfway along Squaw Peak Drive, turning off of Lincoln. It is an interesting hike, presenting good diversity and even some challenges along the way. Traveling southwest along the trail, one comes to a short scramble to the top of the mountain, where the 200 continues along. The very top is no more than about 1,400 feet. At the top appears the only real danger on the trail, being a fairly sheer face that falls all the way down. Watch out! The top presents beautiful views of the close-by Squaw Peak summit, plus the various surrounding mountains. A good hike! Be sure to try it.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Mohave Trail is Squaw Peak #200. Mohave may also be spelled Mojave, and a discrepancy exists as to spelling, as the sign at the foot of the trail spells it Mojave and signs along the trail spell it Mohave. Oh well, Mohave is Mojave is Mohave, at least to those of us who speak exclusively or primarily English. Squaw Peak, of course, is now called formally Piestewa Peak, but I cling to the Squaw Peak of old. Squaw Peak is jam packed with hikers, and today is a holiday so I expected a big crowd, but I saw only one other hiker on the trail, and an attractive one at that. There is parking close by the trail, and it picks up immediately above. This trail is pretty easy to maneuver. There really are no challenges to speak of on the whole trail, except for a little, well marked side trail that climbs abruptly up the side of the mountain. That is very narrow and covered in loose rock with very few footholds. It could be seen as an accident waiting to happen, and at the end of that side trail there is actually a rock climb that presents its own dangers. That climb ends on top of the mountain. I didn't do it today, but I have done it before. For anyone wanting to climb rocks at Squaw Peak, that's one place to do it. Mohave is not a loop. It goes up and over the mountain, continuing on the other side out of the park.

There is also the Mohave Extension, #202. That parts with the main trail near the base and then heads east. The Extension is actually harder than the main trail, rising to what looked like about twice the height. The Extension requires careful stepping, and it does take your breath away.

Monday, January 07, 2013

Very busy out today, lots of people everywhere and parking was hard to find. Other than that the weather was great and so were the views