Learn more

Mohave Trail (#200) is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 534 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trailhead is under construction so have to start down the road. Towards the turn around spot the trail is overgrown with tress. Have to go off trail a little to finish the trail. Overall great views and a steep incline.

This trail recording includes both the Mohave Trail and the 202 loop.

Loved this trail. Beautiful views as you trail along the side of the mountain.

Rocky and rough -- take the trail down to the back side of the hill and it gets rougher -- still manageable. The most notable part of this trail is the myriad craggy rocks combined with jutting cacti. They make for a nice visual combo. Back side of the trail isn't maintained at all (there's a trail market clearly stating "end of trail" at the top, so that makes sense).

This is a fun little trail. However, i would not call it very kid friendly. Lots of lose gravel and rocks towards the summit made it difficult on my crew which resulted in several scrapped knees. With that being said, I really enjoyed this hike and will come back.

Sun Feb 24 2019

Wed Feb 06 2019

Fairly short trail with a slight incline. The overview is of subdivisions and the city. Not my favorite hike.

Sat Dec 01 2018

quick hike

Mon Aug 20 2018

Super quick hike/walk. Keep going until you reach the top with views over the city. I almost stopped, thinking I was at the end, but thankfully kept going up.

Mon May 14 2018

Did Mojave today. Wonder about the spelling of the name. The sign on the street reads Mojave but the signs on the trail read Mohave. Oh well, Mojave is Mohave is Mojave, I guess. The trail might be said to proceed along two wings, one to the north and one to the south. The northbound wing is easy and nearly effortless, with just a little elevation gain, but the southbound wing is much trickier, or even downright tricky. That trail quickly narrows, until eventually it is completely blocked. To the left is a field of smaller flat rocks offering plenty of room for rattlesnakes to lay in wait, and to the right is a boulder and other larger rocks blocking the trail, also offering room for snakes. You can climb over if you are willing, but the trail past that point becomes so narrow as to require use of handholds. If you make it that far you probably won't be going back and you are greeted by a final scramble over rocks to reach the true top. Today, after I came down, there was a very attractive girl with a dog who started up the same way. I thought to ask her if she had ever been up that way before but didn't want her to get the wrong impression so just let her go. Mojave is a short hike, but challenging if one tackles the southbound wing. Fun stuff.

Sat Apr 14 2018

Fun hike. Enough elevation to be challenging. You won't be lonely...lots of hikers and dogs. Did the 3.5 miles in under 2 hours.

Wed Apr 04 2018

Great for a quiet walk! As others have noted, sections are poorly marked and so it can be a little confusing. But I enjoyed it very much, good walk with quiet spots to meditate.

Sun Apr 01 2018

Decent trail for shorter outings. Has some options up to various peaks for some good views.

Mon Feb 05 2018

Great trail - could be better marked in a few spots. Didn’t quite get to the end due to an overgrown bush (and best part is really at the peak midway on trail). Still a great workout that only takes just over an hour.

Sun Jan 21 2018

Great quick hike!

Fri Dec 29 2017

We did this hike after Piestewa summit hike because we just didn’t want to leave yet, and I am really impressed with this hike. After being on crowded Piestewa, this mountain is desolate. We only saw 3 other hikers. The climb is challenging but enjoyable. The views are awesome. You get to see the mansions all around. Took us about 1.3 hours round trip (2.2 miles). It was a nice relaxing hike. You don’t feel like trail runners and expert hikers are going to run you down. It also connects with other trails so you can extend the hike. I recommended it, especially if you are not sure you could summit the bigger mountains.

Sun Nov 05 2017

Great Hiking for Families and Dogs. Beautiful View!!!

Tue Oct 24 2017

this was a hike for a girl my size but I did it. I did it!

Sun Oct 22 2017

Eh. It was okay.. more like a leisurely stroll. Got lost halfway. Trail is not very well marked.

Sat Apr 15 2017

Gorgeous view, nice elevation, less crowded than nearby trails!

Sat Mar 25 2017

Nice stroll, it is perfect to take the dog on. definitely not difficult. more of a nature walk than a hike. :)

Sat Feb 18 2017

I walked over to Piestewa Peak Park today from my home nearby on 12th Street. I planned to do the 1A around the back of the Summit mountain, but as I walked in to the park on Squaw Peak Drive, I looked over to the right and saw an appealing peak I had never paid any attention to before. There were no trail markings visible near the road, and hiking off-trail in the park is strictly prohibited, but I thought I would hike out a bit just to see what I could see. From the road it looked like the desert rose directly up the the summit, but as I approached I saw that the desert rambled off to the right while the summit rose up abruptly to the left. My dream of finding a new and unmarked path was quickly dashed as I came to an unmarked but still well-tramped trail with boot prints and broken beer bottles to show that I wasn't the first one there. The first trail ran out at a wash and I headed up the mountain, not quite sure what I might find. There wasn't a trail marking to be seen on either trail, but I headed up anyway. When I got to the top I found the marker, and it was 200, the Mohave Trail! I have been on Mohave several times but I have always approached it from the trailhead just off of Squaw Peak Drive. One time I peaked over the top and wondered if it might be possible to head down that way and wind up where I wanted to be, but I didn't try it. Today, that's how I got to the 200, sort of the back way. Anyway, fun and different today at the park. If you find it, you'll enjoy it.

Sun Feb 05 2017

I hiked Mohave 200 today. Nice short hike but somewhat different that it goes to the top and then down the other side. When I came back down decided to take the 202 connector trail. If you like walking a loop take the 202 all the way to Quartz Ridge trail and up over the peak. Then take Margaret Hamilton back down to the parking lot. This empties out at the top parking lot but it's a short walk back down to Mohave Parking. Got there at 8am and all parking was filled (Saturday). Almost no one on the 202 or 200. Quartz Ridge is busy.

Sat Jan 28 2017

Short, easy beginner or warm up trail.

Sun Dec 11 2016

Went up the 200A today. That is the Eastern wing of the Mohave, also known as the 200. The 200 sweeps West from the trailhead,and the 200A sweeps East. The 200A is a more difficult hike, proceeding through switchbacks up the side of the mountain to around 2,000 feet. It appears to be just about twice as high as the 200. The 200 is a more interesting hike, with unique rocks and plant cover and the opportunity to bushwhack off-trail to reach the top. There is no bushwhacking on the 200A, but it tests your lungs and your legs anyway. The trail continues down from the top and seems to travel off into the distance, but from the top, there is a great view all around. Mohave is directly across the street from the Summit and it provides a good view. 200A looks to be only about 500 feet under the Summit, so it's a climb to the top. The 200A a little bit offbeat for Piestewa Peak Park, but still fun to do and a little bit challenging.

Wed Oct 26 2016

it was my first hike in years and it was a great hike. I will be going back again.