Miller Peak Trail

Miller Peak Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hereford, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

One of my all-time favorite hikes!

This hike was the one that got me started hiking & backpacking back in 1988. I was a soldier stationed at Fort Huachuca. Some of my buddies & I hiked to the summit. Back then, there was a USFS lookout tower on the peak, so we hiked up ther & spent the night. It was in fall, and the wind howled all night! One of the guys brought a bottle of blackberry brandy, and to this day 30 years later, I always take a little blackberry brandy with me when I'm solo or with adults on a non-Scout backpacking/camping trip.
Good memories!

We did this hike on 01/06/2018 and it was a beautiful sunny day, 75 degrees. We started from the Montezuma parking lot. The first two miles are very steep and even worse when the sun is beaming on your back making you sweat profusely. Once you're done with that trek, you actually hike behind the mountain and it does cool off quite a bit. The hike is beautiful and the views are breath taking throughout the entire hike. Make sure you have 3L of water per person. Also, make sure you pack sandwiches or some snacks because this hike may take you anywhere from 4-6 hours. The top of Miller Peak is windy so make sure you have a light jacket in your pack. Highly recommend but I do not recommend it for dogs.

Amazing hike with incredible views of Mexico and Southern Arizona. Started from Montezuma Pass parking lot. The first leg elevates quickly through grassy hills. The next leg turns into a forest along the mountains crest where you can see the summit in the distance. We walked across snow at a few points and the wooded areas continued till the top. The last leg was slightly wooded with open fields and more snow. Incredible views to the Mule Mountains, San Jose Mountain, Chricahua Mountains, Santa Rita Mountains, Dragoon Mountains, Whetstone Mountains, and the Catalina Mountains.

This was a great hike. Would be best to do in the spring when the wildflowers at the top are in bloom. The first third was desert, second third was forest, and the very last bit was a wildflower field. The hike is very straightforward, but difficult due to sun exposure throughout and the length of the trail, (5.4 miles from Montezuma Pass parking lot). Make sure to bring plenty of water. I heard a large animal moving through the forest, but couldn't tell what it was before it ran off, so bear spray wouldn't hurt to bring along too if you have it. Amazing views from the top!

excellent hike -- pleasant grade and almost constant great views. Can be done in 4.25 to 5 hours if you don't dilly-dally. Worth the drive from Tucson.

Parked at Montezuma Pass parking lot, departed at about 8:00A.M. It took us about 2hr. 45min to reach the top (with brief stops throughout) and then about 1hr. 40min (with no stops) for the return trip. Very fun. Very scenic. You can see the parts of the U.S.-Mexico border wall from certain points. Very diverse trail segments. They'll be a half mile stretch where you feel like you're trudging through a desert then another half mile where you're in a coastal forest and then another where you're traveling along the wildflower ridden hills of Montana! There was no elevation sign at the top. This mountain complex can be subject to sporadic storms, so come prepared for that. The encroaching vegetation on some portions of the trail was very wet from overnight rain (soggy socks, yum), so if that does not float your boat...well then bring extra socks! Definitely the best hike in the Sierra Vista area.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Moderate. First mile and 1/2 are up and up, then the grades are pretty moderate and steady.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

It's more than moderate. Great views!!

Sunday, March 05, 2017

I am so glad I did this hike. Amazing views and I very surreal feel when nobody else is really on the trail. Quiet and peaceful. Hike starts with pretty steady inclines and is then pretty easy until you get about a mile to the summit. Incline picks up and I was hiking through snow. It was very cold at the top, I suggest a windbreaker. Worth the drive down from Phoenix. Make sure you are in shape though and bring at least 3 liters of water!

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Good little hike. It was actually 5.2 miles one way. More moderate than hard. Didn't see a person during the hike on a Saturday which is pretty surprising. If you're in the SV area, have about 5 hours, and want an enjoyable hike up to some beautiful views of the city; make your way up millers peak.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Great hike. The weather can change rapidly so prepare accordingly.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Moderate to difficult hike. Beautiful views, bring rain gear July through October.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Beautiful hike, great views. Trail was easy to follow. More information here: http://yourcameraisnotbigenough.blogspot.com/2015/10/finding-autumn-in-southern-arizona.html?m=1

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

It's all uphill so be prepared for a small challenge but the views are spectacular. On one side is Mexico and the other is America!

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Awesome hike, moderately challenging, great views! Trailhead begins in the Montezuma's Pass parking lot, and takes you through countless switchbacks. The summit is easily achieved with 0 climbing required. Set aside around 6 hours for the out-and-back and enjoy the hike!

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Did this beautiful hike last weekend. Could not have asked for a better day. Scattered clouds, high 70's - low 80's. Saw maybe 10 others on the trail. About 10.5 miles total with an elevation gain of 2,000 feet. Challenging but very doable; took me about 5 hours and I was taking lots of pictures. Wildflowers galore and the trail was overgrown in some areas but never lost sight of the trail. So green and beautiful. No animals or trash anywhere. I did have to ration my water so make sure you take enough with you. My iPhone indicated I was in Mexico when I was standing on the peak!

Saturday, August 08, 2015

Good hike today. We only went up the trail until it crosses the wash and heads up the mountain. The water was running a various spots, but was not running in most places. No trash but we did see the bear dropping mentioned in a previous review.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

its a good and challenging hike. There wasnt much trash present when i went (June 2015). parts of the trail severely lack shade (due to past fires) make sure you bring a good hat and a ls shirt. bring 3 liters of water at a minimum! I brought 3l and ran out on the way back down (3/4 near the end). There are signs of predatory animals. Bear scat was directly in the middle of the trail (fresh too) on the backside of the mountain.

Sunday, October 26, 2014

The trash talked about in previous reviews was nowhere to be seen. Beautiful vistas all around. The first two miles are the hardest part; if you can get through that the rest of the hike isn't as bad. Reaching the summit was well-earned. My group stopped and ate lunch before returning down to the parking lot. No wildlife today; just lizards. About 10.5 round trip. This is a really good day hike and I would recommend it to people visiting the area or locals looking to do something different.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Awesome hike! All single track which is great. So much wildlife to see. During the fall monsoons the wildflowers were everywhere. The first portion of the hike is decently rough. The view is amazing. If you are in the area this trail is worth it! I suggest going in the evening to see the sun set, ensure you bring a headlamp if this is the case.

Monday, August 13, 2012

I'm in the military training at Ft. Huachuca and this hike was quite the challenge for me! Though I am no stud of any sort this hike was a challenging one at the pace my two buddies decided to take. Give yourself about 6 hours to get up and down. 7 if stopping to take pictures or take in the view at regular intervals for the trail is very treacherous in the dark. The sun also sets on the opposite side of the mountain so if you think you're barely going to make it you're probably going to be needing a light soon! Have fun! The scenery is absolutely gorgeous and it seems as if people have cleared out most of the trash posted about in earlier posts (PRE-2011) enjoy the hike!

Monday, January 09, 2017