New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Midlife Crisis Trail

Midlife Crisis Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,630 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Parked in buena vista up top. Midlife to old man was cool. Old man is loose, but bigger rock so stable with careful foot placement (slow going downhill). Desert classic all the long boring way I was thinking how I wished I were not on this waste of time trail. All the way to young man... missed entry had to back track. Up young man which was steep but solid footing... some climbing up. Good burner... midlife back to trail to lot. Would instead go down and up old man or down and up young man but do yourself a huge favor and skip desert classic which links the trails at bottom.... did I mention boring? Maybe if I just wanted a long walk it’s nice! Or mountain bike for some speed!! And it’s mountain biker turf ... lookout!!! ;)

Mon Jan 01 2018

I would NOT call this trail moderate for the following reasons: every single trail by which you reach this trail is steep and rocky with difficulty following trail marks. Once you reach this trail, you will have so much large rock scrambling and the knowledge that you will almost certainly lose this trail. Please DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS trail if you are short of water or not familiar with hiking/trail running because you will get in trouble. It’s challenging and beautiful. I tried reached my the first time via Young Man and wound up somewhat lost but luckily ended up in Hidden Valley with which I was familiar. The next time attempted reaching via Old Man and just needed up lost and having to turn back because it was noon on June. This last time I found it with a great deal of difficulty and tenacity via Chihuahua Ridge. Totally worth it but you MUST realize that you are in for a very long hike. After every rock scramble there is a giant possibility you will not find the trail again. It is unmarked and single track. I am experienced and this was meant to be a trail run but because of the difficulty ended up being a slow treacherous hike that took me over 1.75 hours on this trail alone-not counting the ascent up Chihuahua Ridge and descent down Old Man.

Sat May 26 2018