Mica Mountain via Douglas Spring and Cow Head Saddle Trail

Mica Mountain via Douglas Spring and Cow Head Saddle Trail is a 25.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

20-Years ago, before dawn I would run to Spud Rock (great view), from there you can go a little further to Mica Mountain where there once was a lookout tower.

You can continue on through a fern meadow to Reef Rock and then to Manning Camp where you can refill water from a spring or the Ranger Station and sign a guestbook. I signed in as the Naked Hiker and was kind of a legend among the summer trail workers ‘cause I’d do this hike every Saturday when it was too hot to go on the Tanque Verde Falls to Chicago Falls loop trail.

After Spud Rock and at Mica Mountain you can take another trail to Manning Camp. I would walk back slowly or take a nap and arrive back to Douglass Spring Trailhead after sundown to avoid peak heat at lower elevation.

Be prepared for summer monsoon rainstorms, bring a rain jacket to avoid hyperthermia.

I really enjoyed my time along this trail in late November. The change in the vegetation from the trailhead to the top of Mica was great to see and be a part of. Make a stop and climb Spud Rock, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Monday, February 27, 2017