Metate / Towhee

Metate / Towhee is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cave Creek, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Spur Cross Ranch Conservation Area is the newest addition to Maricopa County's Regional Parks System and encompasses 2,154 acres of diverse, rugged upper Sonoran Desert. The north Valley location contains fascinating archaeology sites and lush riparian areas along Cave Creek, which flows throughout the winter months. Remnants of early mining and ranching, from which the park gets its name, are still apparent in the park. This area is a must see for all wildflower lovers in the spring. The abundant vegetation present in the conservation area provides a rich habitat for a diverse assemblage of wildlife.

This was a lovely hike to have some wonderful views and see all the cactus up close. It was pretty dry so we didn't see too much and wildlife or birds but I was inspired to take several pictures. At the top instead of coming back the same way we went ahead and turned right and came back I the beginning of spur Creek trail for some different views.

Loved stumbling across this trail! Huge saguaros everywhere and all the sudden some lovely mesquite trees. Views were incredible. Only passed one other group along this part of my trek. Very peaceful and not one bit strenuous.

Great area to hike with the kids and dog. No crowds and great scenery. Easy trail!

We did this as an extension after Dragonfly and Tortuga. First time at Spur Cross. Amazing. Very quiet and not crowded. Huge saguaro on this trail. Very easy. We encountered a rattle snake in the bushes as we passed over the creek and it rattled very loudly at us. Was a bit scary at first but it moved away from us. Connected to Spur Cross trail as a finish to a lovely hike.

Great for kids and dogs! Nice little creek too and shaded trails. Connect to spur trail for a loop.

I loved this hike! I actually hiked it twice. The first time I did the loop and came down the Spur Cross Trail. I didn't like the SX trail because it is a rocky road not a trail. So the second time I hiked the Metate Towee trail to Mariposa Hill then backtracked and skipped the SX trail. It was awesome!

Saturday, January 07, 2017

Loved this short little hike. Had our little one in a pack so the easy hike was fun on a cold day. The loop can be slightly confusing so get a map. Well maintained, beautiful and green along a river.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Beautiful walk, so green after all the rain

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Great easy hike for the whole family. Beautiful open and shaded views.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Solid trail, good for those not having a lot of time to commit to a full on hike or looking for an activity to kill some time. There is a great wealth of wild life and animals to watch and see so this is a good one for kids - it keeps their interest.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017