Mescal Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was me and my girlfriends first hike in Sedona. We went during the middle of the day so it was about 100 deg. It took us 3 hours and it was a tad over 5 miles. We brought lots of water, sunscreen and hats to protect us from the sun so it wasn’t bad at all. This was an absolutely beautiful hike to introduce us to Sedona. A very nice mellow hike without a lot of elevation change at all. We went on a Monday and had the whole trail to ourselves.

The southwest point of Mescal Mountain is a fantastic place to watch a sunset over the valley.

Beautiful trail. Took this trail as a part of a loop including Long Canyon and Dead Man’s Pass. With this loop-expect along of mountain bikers and equestrian encounters.

Did not care for at all due to lack of elevation gain and constant mtn bikers.

From the long canyon road trail head we took the mescal mountain trail out to yucca trail down to canyon of fools trail back up to mescal and back. Neither yucca or the canyon trail show up on this app but canyon of fools does show up on google maps. This is a great loop just under 6 km long, which could be accomplished either from the other end of mescal or from the canyon of fools access. Great varied geography from valley creek beds to a ledge walk along mescal mountain. It seems popular especially with the bikes. Perfect morning hike with time enough to get to the Coffee pot restaurant for their lunch special.

Great hike! Not a whole lot of elevation gain, so the trail is quite manageable for all ability levels. Took this trail and met up with the Devil’s Bridge trail for an additional ~3.2 miles (round trip). Definitely worth doing to see the bridge. The scenery is incredible!

Monday, November 06, 2017

Wonderful hike, slow start through flat area, but then some great hiking and views for the rest of the hike.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

awesome trails!

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Everyone loves the this 5 mile loop! Easy terrain with massive red rocks towering right next to you. Many opportunities for scrambling and even a ancient Hopi Indian ruin, awaits your exploration.....if...you can find it!!!
You can run it, bike it, or hike it !!

Friday, February 17, 2017

Incredible views from this trail. Connecting to deadmans pass and long canyon trails this is 4.2 mile loop of relatively easy hiking and great views.

Thursday, February 09, 2017

low traffic with many other trail options nearby. beautiful scenery

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Good trail with great views at several points along the trail. Also gives you several options as it connects with other trails.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Love the view and open space on this trail!

Saturday, September 10, 2016

This is well marked and if you like to hike loops you can continue to Deadmans then continue on long Canyon. Makes for a good 5 mile hike and the views are spectacular!

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

This is an amazing trail . The views were amazing . U do hike along the ledge for a distance which makes this trail great . More bikers then hikers but not many of each . I highly recommend this trail -did it twice in 2 days .

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Very enjoyable

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

We did a short out and back hike to the bowl (1.8 miles in) from the Long Canyon trailhead. I would rate this section as an easy to maybe moderate all season trail, with nothing much rough or steep. More bikers than hikers, but not a lot of either. Good view lines for the bikers, so no surprises. We had a nice quiet off-trail spot for lunch at the bowl. Fabulous views from that vantage point, but the trail itself was meh.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

We did about 2.2 miles of this trail starting at the intersection with the Deadman's Pass Trail and completing the loop back to the Long Canyon Trailhead. This was a really nice trail with excellent views. The skill level was easy to moderate. The attraction was the portion, about a mile+ that traverses a rocky ledge about half way up Mescal Mountain. The thrill of walking that ledge makes me give this a 5 Star rating. My wife is afraid of heights and this was right at the upper range of her comfort zone. But she did it and really enjoyed the thrill. This is also a mountain biking trail and we met several while walking the ledge. At some points the trail has two branches. One is rated difficult for mountain bikers and the other is rated extreme. I would rate them both frightening. However, I am also a mountain biker and I have promised myself that on my next year's Sedona Vacation I am going to bring my bike and try this one, even if I have to walk my bike along parts of it. Maybe you will meet me next year sitting on the ledge with my bike trying to screw up enough courage to get back on and conquer this one. Dave

Thursday, April 17, 2014

We did this hike yesterday with 3 kids(11 year old twins and a 9 year old). Great views all around and not a big incline overall. Met about a dozen mountain bikers which was fine. Kids enjoyed it.

Friday, February 22, 2013

A few mountain bikers and even less hikers. The trail took us up and around the gorgeous red rocks for a view that is not to be missed!

recorded Mescal Mountain Trail