Merkle Memorial Trail

Merkle Memorial Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did this hike with my husband and toddler, while 8 months pregnant. Perfect little “nature walk” hike for us! The trail was easy to follow and had multiple benches available during the hike, perfect for my lazy toddler. :) the picnic area was nice and the bathrooms were so so clean. I️ was very impressed with the bathrooms! We plan on coming back here and hiking again soon.

Great for little kids to explore. We did this as a flashlight hike with a Ranger guide to tell us about nocturnal desert animals. It was a great experience.

We got here just at sunet, two days before the full moon. What a beautiful evening hike! We heard an owl, listening to the night sounds, and got some great pictures of the desert at night.

Perfect for that trail run before work.

Well maintained and marked.

I picked 4-star since it was the perfect easy hike for some family who was in town that has a bit of mobility issues. They liked it since it felt like they were hiking in Arizona but it was flat enough that it was easy on their bodies. For my husband and even some of the younger kids in the group (as well as our chihuahua that goes hiking with us often) it was too easy for us so if you want to add a little bit of adventure to it but that's still easy, add the vista trail that connects to both ends and goes up and over. The kids loved it.

Nice short hike. Views at the top of the hill. Begining this hike we were able to spot a Gila Monster and get a few pictures. My kids thought this was really cool.