Merkle Memorial Trail

Merkle Memorial Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 55 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

Easy trail in the Usury park to complete! Two other trails are located off this path as well!

Great for an easy family hike. Beautiful at sunset.

Flat hike quick walk

This is a beautiful easy wide trail with great scenic views. We saw deer this morning. I highly recommend.

Nice and easy. Great scenery

Very easy. Im an overweight person and i did it with little problems. Plenty of places to sit and relax. Scenery is fantastic. Not busy at all. Great to go at 4 in the afternoon. Not too hot. Lots of lizards, butterflies, and an occasional bird. Peaceful hike.

Easy educational hike great for kiddos, special needs, elderly and anyone wanting to learn about the desert. Very little shade but many places to stop and benches to sit. Educational info along the trail.

This trail is an all time favorite for bringing out of town guests, or friends with small children. Wide trail good for day or night.

very easy trail that leads to a better trail

This trail is awesome for our little kids 2,4. They need some help on some parts but have made it walking. Also, super great that Usery has a playground right around the corner from this trail the kids like to play at.

Real nice park. Trail was well marked, path relatively flat, and sand/gravel. It goes in a loop. Park fee is $7. Lots of parking areas, restrooms, and Ramada’s.

Not very challenging but great views. Very well maintained

Fri Sep 07 2018

This is a easy trail, it can be intimidating to a brand new hiker to get all the way to the top but once you’ve done it a few times, it’s a cake walk!

Sun Sep 02 2018

Such a short but great trail to ease into hiking with my little guy! He loved it. Great views as well!

Thu May 17 2018

The trail is a nice walk at sunset, not very challenging and perfect for kids to come along. There is an awesome firepit at the trailhead with a great view...

Mon May 07 2018

Easy trail. Wide with good gravel. Nice views. Children would enjoy. It’s a loop with good signs.

Fri Mar 16 2018

Easy trail for kids. You can go around the base Several times.

Thu Mar 08 2018

Great for the young and old, very flat and well maintained. Can easily bring a stroller or the like.

Fri Feb 23 2018

Fun hike! We wanted a nice little hike before dinner with my 2 and 4 year old grandsons and it was perfect! We ended up doing the Vista Trail part of it and that was a little more climbing and slippery coming down but still very doable with the kids!

Sat Nov 25 2017

Did this hike with my husband and toddler, while 8 months pregnant. Perfect little “nature walk” hike for us! The trail was easy to follow and had multiple benches available during the hike, perfect for my lazy toddler. :) the picnic area was nice and the bathrooms were so so clean. I️ was very impressed with the bathrooms! We plan on coming back here and hiking again soon.

Sat Nov 11 2017

Great for little kids to explore. We did this as a flashlight hike with a Ranger guide to tell us about nocturnal desert animals. It was a great experience.

Thu Nov 02 2017

We got here just at sunet, two days before the full moon. What a beautiful evening hike! We heard an owl, listening to the night sounds, and got some great pictures of the desert at night.

Sun Jul 30 2017

Perfect for that trail run before work. Well maintained and marked.

Sun Apr 02 2017

I picked 4-star since it was the perfect easy hike for some family who was in town that has a bit of mobility issues. They liked it since it felt like they were hiking in Arizona but it was flat enough that it was easy on their bodies. For my husband and even some of the younger kids in the group (as well as our chihuahua that goes hiking with us often) it was too easy for us so if you want to add a little bit of adventure to it but that's still easy, add the vista trail that connects to both ends and goes up and over. The kids loved it.

Thu Mar 23 2017

Nice short hike. Views at the top of the hill. Begining this hike we were able to spot a Gila Monster and get a few pictures. My kids thought this was really cool.

Sun Mar 12 2017

Looped path, nice views. Very easy stroll

Sun Feb 19 2017

Super easy and relaxing.

Sun Nov 27 2016

i had fun with this one with what appeared going off the usual trail sitting atop my own mountain, trail running and steep climb is my experience, would do again its near my home

Mon Oct 31 2016

Super easy. Great for kids.