Merkle Memorial Trail

Merkle Memorial Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did this hike with my husband and toddler, while 8 months pregnant. Perfect little “nature walk” hike for us! The trail was easy to follow and had multiple benches available during the hike, perfect for my lazy toddler. :) the picnic area was nice and the bathrooms were so so clean. I️ was very impressed with the bathrooms! We plan on coming back here and hiking again soon.

Great for little kids to explore. We did this as a flashlight hike with a Ranger guide to tell us about nocturnal desert animals. It was a great experience.

We got here just at sunet, two days before the full moon. What a beautiful evening hike! We heard an owl, listening to the night sounds, and got some great pictures of the desert at night.

Perfect for that trail run before work.

Well maintained and marked.

I picked 4-star since it was the perfect easy hike for some family who was in town that has a bit of mobility issues. They liked it since it felt like they were hiking in Arizona but it was flat enough that it was easy on their bodies. For my husband and even some of the younger kids in the group (as well as our chihuahua that goes hiking with us often) it was too easy for us so if you want to add a little bit of adventure to it but that's still easy, add the vista trail that connects to both ends and goes up and over. The kids loved it.

Nice short hike. Views at the top of the hill. Begining this hike we were able to spot a Gila Monster and get a few pictures. My kids thought this was really cool.

Looped path, nice views. Very easy stroll

Super easy and relaxing.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

i had fun with this one with what appeared going off the usual trail sitting atop my own mountain, trail running and steep climb is my experience, would do again its near my home

Monday, October 31, 2016

Super easy. Great for kids.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Man was stung 1000 times and died.

Monday, January 11, 2016

Great hike under the moonlight and kid/Stroller friendly.

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Our second hike. The loop was nice and easy. Going over the top wasn't tough, but it did get us breathing a little harder. Great view of the valley from the top.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

I love this loop. My girlfriend and I go over the Vista trail then run around the Merkle then back over the Vista .Pretty easy.

Saturday, December 06, 2014

Hiked this with my grandmother. It was perfect for her because it was completely flat and there were plenty of benches along the path so she could stop and rest when she needed to. I believe it is also wheelchair and stroller accessible, though it is not paved. Lots and lots of cacti around. Go clockwise around the loop for the best views.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

A good hike. Very smooth, very easy. Don't stray off the path as there are lots of spiny bushes and cactuses so may not be a good idea for free roaming kids. The scenery is beautiful.

Thursday, October 03, 2013

Five if you have little kids. Great little hike with my three kids (3,2, and 8 months) and my friend with her three kids. Got a little hot this time if year, but was a flat easy hike. Lots of cacti so no off trail exploring for the kiddos. The covered playground at the trailhead parking lot is a great place to relax. There are picnic tables there too.

Sunday, December 09, 2012

A short looping trail which takes around 10 minutes to walk around at the foot of a peak. Very easy and suitable for all. Highly recommend the Vista Trail instead which is in the same location.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Great trail to enjoy with children. Leasurely stroll through and watch for wild life.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

This is an easy trail to take with young children.