Maxine Lakin Nature Trail

Maxine Lakin Nature Trail is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 269 feet Route Type: Loop

Please be aware that dogs are not allowed on this or any other trails in the city of Phoenix when temperatures are greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Well traveled path, you could not loose the trail, if you tried. Some parts have loose gravel, but certainly not bad. Lots of squirrels, some birds.

Clean with moderate traffic. Hikers seem to follow leash laws and cleanup after pets. Enough signs to not get too lost. Not in the greatest neighborhood, so you never know who you'll meet in the parking lot.

This trail was just ok. It's an easy trail because it's so short. But this is one of those ones my wife would have killed me if I drug her along based on the steep incline with all loose rock. I took a few other turns onto other trails in the area to make it more interesting and longer. The best part of this trail is the view of downtown Phoenix and a bit of the Cardinals stadium in Glendale.

Easy hike with a decent view! Didn't take too long to hike; my dog enjoyed herself.

getting my wildlife and exercise in

We did this hike with our 3 year old and he totally kept up... took about an hour. Nice easy, relaxing hike with lots of nature but not too good of views

The view was beautiful but the park entering and trail was very dirty. I couldn’t use the restroom because the stalls had no doors and there was someone living in there.

I've been on quite a few trails, and in my opinion, there was nothing "easy" about this one. Most of it was uphill, which is fine, but it was super rocky. If you are a beginner, I would not recommend this trail. The views were great, as most trails are, but it was poorly marked. Even with my GPS out some of the way, we managed to get off the path twice. It was probably the worst trail I've been on.

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Uphill hike as you would imagine! Short and sweet! Great views! Dog friendly! Nice park in front of mountain with walking path as well!

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

This is a nice hike with very few people on it early in the morning, which is something I look for in a trail. This is a rocky uphill climb to the top with plenty of flowers, cacti and even some neat looking rocks to see along the way. Kind of dangerous for trail running in my opinion as the footing is really loose in some areas. Took my 11 and 12 year old kids and they were able to hang, although we did take a few breaks as the steep climb can get that heart beat moving.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Short but sweet. Good variety of local plants and flowers to look at, a couple critters here and there. Not too much in the way of difficulty, good for beginners/first timers.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The North Mountain Tower Road Improvements will begin soon, and will require temporary trail closures. Keep informed by e-mailing the project team at northmountainproject@gciaz.com or calling the 24 hour Project Hotline at (623)825-3444. Public meeting date to be announces soon. Join the mailing list at www.surveymonkey.com/r/North Mountain

Monday, April 24, 2017

Took trail 100 - 2 miles one way. Nice walk.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Easy and beautiful trails. Great for kids dogs and family's

Friday, February 24, 2017

Nice short hike. Rocky footing. Beginning is uphill with a view of city at the top. Very little color but did see several bunnies.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Good first hike

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Okay. No shade. Looks good for bikes or after a rain

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Great for kids!! My girlfriend and I took my 9 and 5 year old girls on this trail. Went went early in the day when it was cool, and good thing, because there is NOT a lot of shade cover. The trail is short enough that snacks are not really necessary. Decent elevation (first half, or so, is uphill) and nice views of Downtown in the distance. Overall good, fun, and educational trail. I would do it again. I would also recommend to use the GPS on this app to stay on the right trail. There are a few forks and it's easy to get off track.

Monday, March 21, 2016

Need a little hike to fill up a little time or need a few steps to kick start your 10,000 per day? Then this is a perfect little trail for you. Only 1.2 miles but a lovely little loop. A bit of a steep rise, but you're at the top of the loop in no time. A quick little jaunt from the trail near the top gives you great views of the valley. Springtime cacti blooms are plentiful. Easy and gets your heart rate a bump.