Learn more

Maxine Lakin Nature Trail is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 269 feet Route Type: Loop

This is the #60 Nature Trail Loop. It branches off the 100 trail and takes you on a loop with the option to go to the peak of N. Mountain.

Fist half is pretty steep without break

North Mountain is a great hiking area but this route is not particularly good for dogs. If you follow the trailhead and then hang a left at the first fork in the path there is a less rocky route that is much better.

I specifically decided on this trail because it was marked as an easy nature trail. It’s not. I realize everything is relative, but in this case there is no trail about it. It’s a hike, from the start! It’s also not that pretty. But hey, fresh air for the win!

Good, quick trail for kids. One steeper climb. Four year old did the hike with no problem.

Sun Jun 16 2019

Well traveled path, you could not loose the trail, if you tried. Some parts have loose gravel, but certainly not bad. Lots of squirrels, some birds.

Mon May 20 2019

Clean with moderate traffic. Hikers seem to follow leash laws and cleanup after pets. Enough signs to not get too lost. Not in the greatest neighborhood, so you never know who you'll meet in the parking lot.

Mon Mar 18 2019

This trail was just ok. It's an easy trail because it's so short. But this is one of those ones my wife would have killed me if I drug her along based on the steep incline with all loose rock. I took a few other turns onto other trails in the area to make it more interesting and longer. The best part of this trail is the view of downtown Phoenix and a bit of the Cardinals stadium in Glendale.

Sat Mar 16 2019

Easy hike with a decent view! Didn't take too long to hike; my dog enjoyed herself.

Thu Mar 07 2019

getting my wildlife and exercise in

Mon Mar 04 2019

We did this hike with our 3 year old and he totally kept up... took about an hour. Nice easy, relaxing hike with lots of nature but not too good of views

Tue Feb 05 2019

Thu Dec 20 2018

The view was beautiful but the park entering and trail was very dirty. I couldn’t use the restroom because the stalls had no doors and there was someone living in there.

Wed Oct 17 2018

I've been on quite a few trails, and in my opinion, there was nothing "easy" about this one. Most of it was uphill, which is fine, but it was super rocky. If you are a beginner, I would not recommend this trail. The views were great, as most trails are, but it was poorly marked. Even with my GPS out some of the way, we managed to get off the path twice. It was probably the worst trail I've been on.

Sat Apr 21 2018

Uphill hike as you would imagine! Short and sweet! Great views! Dog friendly! Nice park in front of mountain with walking path as well!

Wed Mar 28 2018

This is a nice hike with very few people on it early in the morning, which is something I look for in a trail. This is a rocky uphill climb to the top with plenty of flowers, cacti and even some neat looking rocks to see along the way. Kind of dangerous for trail running in my opinion as the footing is really loose in some areas. Took my 11 and 12 year old kids and they were able to hang, although we did take a few breaks as the steep climb can get that heart beat moving.

Sun Sep 17 2017

Short but sweet. Good variety of local plants and flowers to look at, a couple critters here and there. Not too much in the way of difficulty, good for beginners/first timers.