Massacre Grounds Trail

Massacre Grounds Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

In 1848 Mexican miners of the Peralta family were taking gold from the area when Apaches pinned them down against a black rock wall and the miners died there at a place that came to be known as the Massacre Grounds. The Dutchman Jacob Waltz allegedly came upon their goldmine but took its location to his grave.

Two rattlesnake encounters, the trail was sometimes hard to find near the end. Wouldn't recommend

This is an easy trail I often like to do in the late afternoon/early evening after work. I love watching the sunset from here. I have seen rattlesnakes several times along the trail especially since I hike when the sun is going down so watch out. Other less scary critters I have seen are tarantulas, tailless whip scorpions, wolf spiders, bunnies, all manner of bugs and a mule deer once.

Rattlesnakes. Please be careful here.

Gorgeous trail, phenomenal views. Hiked this yesterday, right after a monsoon the night before. The falls were lightly running.

I know many have said the trail is hard to find here, that was not my experience. There are a few instances where the trail appears to fork but it's rather apparent just by a quick glance which forks off the trail lead to dead-ends.

I did not encounter many standing cairns along the trail; however, there were many locations where it was obvious a cairn once stood but had been knocked down.

My only complaint about this trail would be the amount of insects, primarily gnats, my hiking partner and I encountered along the trail. The gnats made it challenging and unpleasant to stop at any points, for breaks or to simply enjoy the view, because they swarmed in thick clouds. By the time we got to the car, we had the remains of what appeared to be hundreds of dead gnats stuck to our bodies, in our hair, our clothes, and so forth. Bug repellent was no deterrent for those guys, either.

One final note, we did encounter a rattlesnake about a quarter of the way down the trail, on the way back out. It was perched upon a boulder, located directly beside the trail in one of the many thick, bushy areas that the trail winds through.

Hiked up to the falls. Nice trickle of water coming down. Pretty refreshing, since it was a hot and humid day.

Ups and downs. Tough enough to be fun but not overwhelming. Great views. At the Base of many of the rocky out crops lie caves. Interesting but be careful of course.