Massacre Grounds Trail

Massacre Grounds Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

In 1848 Mexican miners of the Peralta family were taking gold from the area when Apaches pinned them down against a black rock wall and the miners died there at a place that came to be known as the Massacre Grounds. The Dutchman Jacob Waltz allegedly came upon their goldmine but took its location to his grave.

59 minutes ago

A beautiful hike, although I would rate on the more moderate spectrum than easy, as there are a few steep rock scrambles, and loose rocks. Some forks could be better marked, look for the cairns though. Took us slightly less than 3 hours. Not much traffic for a Tuesday. We really enjoyed the flowering flora and the views along the way.

This is a moderate hike, it is not easy, a couple people in our group had to stop and turnaround. There are multiple fairly steep climbs with moving rocks. Wonderful views and the waterfall was still running when we were there.

Great views! Although I consider myself in good shape and I did not think this was "easy". The cold water and shade was a great break before heading beck down.

Great MODERATE 6.2 mile hike with beautiful views! The trail is rocky and has some nice little inclines. We got off trail once or twice where someone put Cairns on a wrong path but luckily I was running my Alltrails app which got us back on track quickly. The water was nearly dried up but I was grateful to see a little waterfall. Next year I'll go in February! The flower patches were very pretty as well. Enjoy!

Great trail. Water was still flowing today. Nice shady spot at the end to rest before heading back down.

I agree with easy rating, obviously groomed trail, few carins but not needed, the 1000+ ft incline is over approximately 3 miles so slow but steady. People of all ages, size and ability were on this trail. Maybe the length is why people are stating moderate level. Great views and the recent rain brought wildflowers, green grass to this nice desert oasis. Horse poop was the only annoying thing.

Nice hike and good scenery. There are a few parts that have a solid incline. My lady and I would agree with y'all on the classification. It's closer to the 'moderate' category rather than easy. Waterfall was nice! Enjoy

I'd give it 5-stars had I not been fooled by the "easy" rating. I like to hike but do it very rarely, therefore looked forward to an "easy" way to get going again. Well it wasn't I about died, lol. Not literally. It definitely was a work out and very cool! I'm ready for Everest now

The waterfall was beautiful but agree that this hike should not be considered easy. It was definitely moderate