Learn more

Massacre Falls Trail is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,105 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

historic site

Beautiful desert hike with views and wildflowers that ends at a waterfall (during good rainfall)

Great trail. Started about 7:30 this morning. Came across two hikers on my way up. Coming back down the trail was starting to get a bit busy. Not much rain recently but still there was a little waterfall at the very top, which felt great. I did this solo in less then three hours. Right now with the flowers in bloom probably one of my favorite hikes. Just so beautiful. I will return for sure.

Beautiful trail with tons of wildflowers this time of year. Make sure you pack enough water and snacks. It’s a challenging hike to the waterfall.

hard but worth doing

Beautiful hike! Right is there is only a small stream of water but 100% worth going all the way

Massacre Falls: Beautiful views. Pretty crowded. Awesome weather. Get there early to park in the trailhead lot, otherwise you can park along the entry road.

Pretty crowded at mid-day. Took our dog and she did great. Nice break at the falls for lunch. Took us 3.5 hours total.

Well marked trail and definitely a work out!!! The waterfall is beautiful and a great turn-around point of the trail!!! I jumped in the waterfall in my clothes so I would bring a swim suit if you’re into that type of thing :) beautiful views from all points of the trail! @harris_hikers

So far, this has been my favorite trail! The waterfall at the end was super awesome. We found a nice sunny rock and had lunch, I even took my boots and socks off to play by the fall; the water was freezing! There’s even a creek about halfway through the hike that’s a really good spot to take a break. Gotta keep your eyes out for rattles snakes, but you are in the desert . I Will definitely be hiking this trail again!

Absolutely beautiful! We took our 5 kids 8 and under on it today. My 4.5 year old hiked the whole thing by myself. It took us about 1.5 hours each direction not going too fast. My kids loved it and any hike that ends with water is a win. Beautiful views, we will be back!

nice experience, this place is beautiful

Great hike! Wasn’t too busy, very rocky, saw a few rattle snakes, there’s a few creeks, and a waterfall at the end! So beautiful! Long way up, about 4miles out, and 4 miles back.

Great hike! The gradual incline makes for a great workout although the kiddos (ages 15, 11, and 8) were getting wore out. The way down was much easier on them and we made it back in an hour and 15 minutes vs an hour and 35 on the way up.

Great trail! One of my favorites now! The gradual consistent incline gives a good workout, the scenery makes you feel like you’re not in Arizona. I’d recommend going after a good rain to experience the creek flowing and good waterfall presence. Spend some time at the falls and enjoy it!

I really enjoyed this hike! Beautiful views the entire time. At some points I didn’t even feel like I was in the Phoenix area it was so green and beautiful. I agree with everyone else... get there early parking is limited. Also the dirt road can be rough in some spots.

I liked this trail a lot! It was challenging at times, but it was worth it! The views were incredible too!

Loved this hike ! Maybe a top 3, it’s not too long and it’s not terribly difficult but a great workout. Ofcourse the waterfall and views make it worth it. Family and dog friendly

I recommend getting there early, parking fills up quickly. Water was flowing from recent rain. Very busy today but the views and hike was well worth it!

Great trail, amazing views. Not a lot of parking! Get there early if you want to get a spot. Water was running from the recent rain. Not to difficult.

I recommend getting there early because parking does fill up quick, and also make sure to use the bathroom before you go because there are non at the trail head. Overall though a great hike!!

Such a great hike with some of the best views the Sup’s have to offer. The earlier you can get there the better.

Get there early to get a parking space and avoid the crowds. It’s so green here it didn’t even look like the desert. Some mud and loose rocks to walk over but overall a very nice trail. The waterfall at the end was beautiful! We hiked back around 10 on a Saturday and it was already very crowded.