Massacre Falls Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1604)
Lost Dutchman State Park

Massacre Falls Trail is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,105 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

historic site

Beautiful desert hike with views and wildflowers that ends at a waterfall (during good rainfall)

Decent trail, definitely dog friend. Saw no snakes and i started the trail at 6:30, ended at 9. Saw no people at all which was nice! Waterfall was obviously dry but the views are so nice.

We saw a rattlesnake along the trail this morning around 9am about 1.5 miles in. The tail of the snake was sticking out into the trail as we passed some bushes. Be careful! We still enjoyed the trail even though the waterfalls are dried up this time of year. Great views!

Beautiful views of the Superstition Mts. Moderate + for me. First outbound half of the trail virtually all uphill. We began at 7:30 and finished at 10.

Only gave this trail 2 stars because the flowers were in full bloom mode when I hiked here in April. The trail itself was moderate and the falls are anything but massacre. I would suggest hiking somewhere else if you are looking to hike in the Superstition Wilderness.

Good trail overall! Not much shade so it was pretty hot beginning of May. No water at the waterfall either since it’s dried up. I’d say it’s definitely moderate because of the length and some of the incline toward the end.

Great trail to hike. Lots of different terrain and worth making it to the falls. Beautiful scenery, several places to stop and take in the views.

I went a few days ago in the morning. It was a really nice hike, not super steep in the beginning. There was a rattlesnake on the path, someone else was able to get it out of the path so we could get by.

Water had dried up. Still some very cool rock formations!!! Lots of little critters.

Great trail. Very little shade so don’t forget extra water —my mistake. the waterfall was pretty small but so worth the hike. Be prepared to be sore after those ~6 miles!

Good trail for a nice workout. Lots of up and down areas and different terrain. The waterfall at the end was a trickle at this time , but it’s cool to see. Plus there’s shade there . I’d like to ask that people refrain from defecating right next to the big rocks that lead up to the water fall though. Only thing is the trailhead is not marked very well and there was a vehicle parked in front of the break in the fence where it starts when I got there, so I went the wrong way at first. There should be a sign. It’s to the left of the parking area .

First time finishing this hike today and I loved it. Perfect mix of easy flat ground walk and some scrambling. The waterfall had a tiny bit of water trickling down making reaching the end all that much better. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a beautiful moderate hike!

Lots of different terrain. Limited shade. Would definitely consider this heavier side of moderate.

The way in was mostly uphill. Lots of people so get there early. I encountered a rattlesnake along the way. Thankfully it let me know its presence and we went our separate ways. Awesome hike very beautiful scenery. The waterfall is small but still worth the hike.

We added on prospector view and treasure them. Very pretty!

It’s a nice trail with some nice views and a few shady areas. I took my 8 and 10 year old boys and they did just fine. The waterfall wasn’t very big but the water was very cold and refreshing.

excellent hike I did with my little ones! Maybe a little too much hike for my youngest(5 year old) but she handled it like a boss! Fairly easy terrain. Looking forward to going again, possibly without them but they were down to go again too!!

Beautiful

really good trail, pretty decent workout and the dog had an easy time other than a few big steps. follow the gps exactly and go all the way down the "non maintained" road until you see the sign for massacre falls. that is where it starts. if you have to pay for parking you have gone the wrong way. excellent views too

Great for trail running especially on the way down! Beautiful view and gradual climb