Marcos de Niza & Pima

Marcos de Niza & Pima is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Fun ups and downs and nice views of Phoenix. No shade. Lots of interconnecting trails so you can make it a longer hike if you want.

Bring lots of water. There's no shade on this trail so
I would suggest sunscreen too. It took my husband and I about 1.25 hours to complete. Uphill was difficult but the descent down was easy and some beautiful views.

My favorite trail when I need elevation to clear my mind!

Great hike! Take water if going later in the morning. After 8am in May, it's definitely needed! Loved the views! Took the incline up through the hills first and then cooled off on the way back! Agree with others comments that this would be great at sunrise!

Good moderate hike near town. Great for an after work hike

Access this trail from the 48th St Pima Canyon Trailhead parking lot- it opens up right to the rest area!

Love this trail! It's my go to each weekend. Marcos de Niza offers awesome views that reward incline efforts. Depending on the direction you choose, this trail can have varying difficulties. My personal favorite is to take an out-and-back approach from the parking lot without ever touching Pima. It's gratifying to see those steep climbs in reverse. At a fast walking pace, this route takes about an hour or less, with the SW leg being most challenging and the NE return being far less strenuous yet far more scenic. If you're feeling beat up after the SW leg, swing East at the end of Marcos de Niza to loop back on the flat, walk-friendly Beverly Canyon Trail. The easiest way to see the beauty of Marcos de Niza without all of the work is to access it via Beverly Canyon.

great, quick hike with moderate inclines... there are so many trails in this area though, one could easily spend several hours here! love this place.

It's really good for someone without a lot of time. Good quick workout.

Wonderful trail. Amazing views! Great cardio! Good for dogs & kids that like to climb.

Friday, November 18, 2016

Great quick trail with scenic views in many directions. Light rock climbing in a few areas required me to lift my dog over a few spots, but he did great.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

I enjoy this trail although it is poorly marked. I ended up getting lost and taking a 6 mile hike instead of my intended 3-4 mile hike.

There is a beautiful view at several points and I got some good pictures. I took 1.5L of water and wore hiking boots. I'd recommend others do the same along with bringing good sun protection. There is little to no shade on this hike.

You want the Pima canyon parking lot located @ 48th street and Elliot. Very easy to find if you know what it is called.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Strenuous first 30 minutes but scenic on North side, newer Phoenix and short enough to complete in 90 minutes

Friday, October 10, 2014

Walk this almost daily with my dog! we love this because you can explore new trails daily.

Sunday, October 05, 2014

Great way to get into the trails on south mountain. Interesting hike with a historical tagging of early explorer Marcos de Niza where he wrote his name in the rock. Once past Marcos de Niza trail you have several options, I chose to continue along the ridgeline, it is a solid intermediate hike with good elevation gain and a few good shaded rest spots under boulders.

Rocky trail like most non-biking trails on south mountain, I would recommend stiff-soled shoes.

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Without a doubt, I get lost in South Mountain every time I hike it. Tried West Loop for the first time. Trails intertwine and not labeled at the most critical times so I got lost twice. The second time, I got warned off by a coyote from her den. That was the best part of the hike! Overall, pretty easy trail as far as terrain and not busy at all (6:30-8:30am).

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Our third hike on South Mountain. I'm a hiking newbie and wanted to test my limit. This was a bit tough for me as I am not as sure footed as I'd like to be. The view at the top is amazing and worth the effort.

I plan to try this trail again after a bit more experience.