Marcos de Niza, Midlife Crisis, and Young Man Trails Loop

Marcos de Niza, Midlife Crisis, and Young Man Trails Loop is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail is rocky and scrambling is required in some areas.

This is not a dog friendly trail nor would I consider it to be moderate. There is quite a bit of climbing over boulders and the trail is very poorly marked.

This loop is rated as moderate. It is definitely not moderate. I would say that it should be rated as hard. There are some big rocks that have to be climbed up and down. We brought our dogs based on that this app said it was dog friendly. I would not bring my dogs again. I had to lift my 120 lb Great Pyrenees up and down a couple of rock piles. I enjoyed the challenge of the trail, though and would do it again sans dogs.

This loop was difficult. We started out 8am and finished about 10:30am. Temps ranged from mid 50's to upper 60's and still felt quite hot. Be sure to bring enough water. We barely had enough with a 24oz bottle each. We just weren't quite expecting the intensity of the steeps both up and down. At times we were sliding down on fine sand covered rocks. Footing was rocky and precarious going down Young Man. There are no trail markers to speak of. Needed to use the AllTrails app to stay on course. Views were spectacular!

This was a pretty difficult hike. Steep going up (counter clockwise) and down. Down was very narrow with ample areas pf washed out slippery rock. No shade, don’t even bother attempting this in any heat. Easy to get off trail while crawling over boulders, trail not easily identifiable for a newbie.

Love this hike! Lots of views and flowers.

great trail for a quick and moderately challenging workout. views plus interesting rock formations. we went counterclockwise and suggest the same to avoid the very steep Young Man trail (better going downhill).

Great loop