Ma-Ha-Tauk Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 538 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Good.

Nice climb and views for the first half. Not much happening after that.

well marked it's hard to get lost. Trail is mostly loose gravel and dirt

I loved this trail! Pretty rocky and steep, great leg workout, very easy to follow although we didn't complete it this time.. we started at 7am and it was almost empty there was a lot more people as we were leaving. Would definitely do this trail again!

Took my 5 and 10 year olds. They did great

I liked the trail. Was however relatively flat with not a lot of views. There were maybe 3 view points. No shaded spots to stop and smoke a joint.

I've been doing this trail for years. Fast burn for sure! Stay hydrated my fellow hiker friends! It's hot!

Easy trail, good views, not very steep

Easy trail if you are in semi decent shape. Took my 5 and 8 year old boys with me and they handled it no problem. We went in the afternoon so watching the sun set behind the White Tanks is a pretty site. However, I would recommend T-Bone trail for those seeking a better challenge with better views.

Thu May 16 2019

Pretty standard South Mountain trail.

Fri Nov 09 2018

Just did this trail and it has beautiful views. Not hard at all. Few steep places but otherwise a beginner hiker can conquer this.

Tue Apr 24 2018

We live nearby and hike this trail regularly. The first part is a non stop incline for a good 20-30 minutes. This part I would rate moderate. The rest I agree is easy. Around sunset, you can hear the coyotes haul - and we have seen them walk across the trail a few times just before and after sunset, but we’ve never heard any negative news of a coyote incident. I would say this trail is better during spring when the flowers are blooming vs the hotter months when everything is brown and dry. Parking is limited and gets full 30 minutes before sunset.

Thu Apr 19 2018

This is incorrectly ranked as easy. I am a skilled hiker and have hiked all over. The first 0.7 miles are for sure moderate or difficult. It is all uphill and is a cardio and calf blaster. After the 0.7 mile incline, it then becomes a nice easy hike. Still disappointed by the people who hike here. People blast their music and bring Starbucks. What? You need hiking shoes, Camelback filled with water, and use headphones. Hiking is about nature. Shut up. And enjoy. The end.

Tue Feb 06 2018

Not an easy hike when the official gov website for the park lists it as difficult. Enjoyed the trail, the first incline is overwhelming to beginners and I would not label easy with some large rocks. It tapers out and is enjoyable.

Sat Feb 03 2018

Nice easy trail. Definitely some hills if you are a first time biker or a beginner this is the trail for you. But people do leave trash, sad. It is a more of a urban hike. I didn’t worry I was going to get lost since I had views of the homes, parking lot and the city.

Thu Dec 28 2017

Easy hike, nice uphill section for a quick workout

Sat Oct 28 2017

My favorite daily hike, I just wish it would be more taken care of! Don't bring food or water bottles onto the trail if you plan on leaving it there! Also clean up after your dogs please!

Fri Oct 06 2017

An okay trail :-) Perfect for an easy pre work hike.

Sat Sep 30 2017

was a good option for hiking with my young son(4), he noted a lot of dog poo though.

Wed Jun 28 2017

Can be pretty crowded some days.

Fri Jan 20 2017

fairly easy. views of the valley were nice since it had just rained and the sky accentuated the landscape.

Sun May 22 2016

Good first quarter mile climb. Then normal AZ hiking with ups and downs along a well worn path. Great views.

Tue May 03 2016

it's was great.

Sun Apr 10 2016

Easy

Sat Jan 23 2016

Excellent hike. Except for a short section at the beginning where I wished I was in better shape, the trek was easy. The trail is also used for horses, so nobody minded Happy being off leash. Except for a little fall, an encounter with some horse dung (smelly dog) and a jumping cactus that attacked my perfectly innocent dog

Wed Nov 25 2015

Good and easy

Sun May 10 2015

I used to live at South Mountain, two blocks from the trails, and when I did, I hiked every couple of days. Alas, then I moved away, and now I am forced to drive back to hike there, but it's worth the drive! South Mountain hiking is excellent. Today I went looking for the Alta trail. I am pretty sure I have been on it before, but I have never seen a marker for the trail, so can't actually claim that for sure. I went up the Ma Ha Tauk, which I think is kind of a back door to Alta. That is 1.5 miles south of the Ramadas above 15th Avenue, south of Dobbins. It is a strenuous, but still fairly uninteresting trail that snakes up the south side of the range to near the top. There are some rocks to scramble over and it does take your wind, but is still completely manageable.. Anyway, I made it to the top! On top is I think the Alta, but it is not marked, so uncertain. I still would like to claim I did the Alta. but I chickened out and turned around just before the first peak. Oh well, try again later!