Ma-Ha-Tauk Trail

Ma-Ha-Tauk Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

We live nearby and hike this trail regularly. The first part is a non stop incline for a good 20-30 minutes. This part I would rate moderate. The rest I agree is easy.

Around sunset, you can hear the coyotes haul - and we have seen them walk across the trail a few times just before and after sunset, but we’ve never heard any negative news of a coyote incident.

I would say this trail is better during spring when the flowers are blooming vs the hotter months when everything is brown and dry.

Parking is limited and gets full 30 minutes before sunset.

This is incorrectly ranked as easy. I am a skilled hiker and have hiked all over. The first 0.7 miles are for sure moderate or difficult. It is all uphill and is a cardio and calf blaster. After the 0.7 mile incline, it then becomes a nice easy hike.

Still disappointed by the people who hike here. People blast their music and bring Starbucks. What? You need hiking shoes, Camelback filled with water, and use headphones. Hiking is about nature. Shut up. And enjoy. The end.

Not an easy hike when the official gov website for the park lists it as difficult. Enjoyed the trail, the first incline is overwhelming to beginners and I would not label easy with some large rocks. It tapers out and is enjoyable.

Nice easy trail. Definitely some hills if you are a first time biker or a beginner this is the trail for you. But people do leave trash, sad. It is a more of a urban hike. I didn’t worry I was going to get lost since I had views of the homes, parking lot and the city.

Easy hike, nice uphill section for a quick workout

My favorite daily hike, I just wish it would be more taken care of! Don't bring food or water bottles onto the trail if you plan on leaving it there! Also clean up after your dogs please!

An okay trail :-)
Perfect for an easy pre work hike.

was a good option for hiking with my young son(4), he noted a lot of dog poo though.

Can be pretty crowded some days.

Friday, January 20, 2017

fairly easy. views of the valley were nice since it had just rained and the sky accentuated the landscape.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Good first quarter mile climb. Then normal AZ hiking with ups and downs along a well worn path. Great views.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

it's was great.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

great

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Easy

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Excellent hike. Except for a short section at the beginning where I wished I was in better shape, the trek was easy. The trail is also used for horses, so nobody minded Happy being off leash. Except for a little fall, an encounter with some horse dung (smelly dog) and a jumping cactus that attacked my perfectly innocent dog

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Good and easy

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Great little hike with the dogs, beautiful city view, easy trail!

Sunday, May 10, 2015

I used to live at South Mountain, two blocks from the trails, and when I did, I hiked every couple of days. Alas, then I moved away, and now I am forced to drive back to hike there, but it's worth the drive! South Mountain hiking is excellent. Today I went looking for the Alta trail. I am pretty sure I have been on it before, but I have never seen a marker for the trail, so can't actually claim that for sure.
I went up the Ma Ha Tauk, which I think is kind of a back door to Alta. That is 1.5 miles south of the Ramadas above 15th Avenue, south of Dobbins. It is a strenuous, but still fairly uninteresting trail that snakes up the south side of the range to near the top. There are some rocks to scramble over and it does take your wind, but is still completely manageable.. Anyway, I made it to the top! On top is I think the Alta, but it is not marked, so uncertain. I still would like to claim I did the Alta. but I chickened out and turned around just before the first peak. Oh well, try again later!

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

South Mountain isn't really the place to go if you want to get away from the city, but this trail simply feels like an extension of a sidewalk. I picked up a considerable amount of trash on this poorly maintained and marked trail and the amount of broken glass I saw was staggering.

Short, easy, boring hike.