Ma-Ha-Tauk Trail

Ma-Ha-Tauk Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and horses. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This trail sucks so bad. It should be nice, but the people and surrounding area make it terrible. First, fat ghetto girls dancing on the trail while carrying a stereo and blasting rap music. Secondly, it’s right next to the gun range so all you hear the entire time is gun shots like a war zone. So unless you want to feel like you’re hiking in Compton, with gun shots and rap music, I’d recommend another trail. Too bad. Hiking should be about relaxing in nature and exploring. Trashy people ruin everything good that this world has.

Easy hike, nice uphill section for a quick workout

My favorite daily hike, I just wish it would be more taken care of! Don't bring food or water bottles onto the trail if you plan on leaving it there! Also clean up after your dogs please!

An okay trail :-)
Perfect for an easy pre work hike.

was a good option for hiking with my young son(4), he noted a lot of dog poo though.

Can be pretty crowded some days.

fairly easy. views of the valley were nice since it had just rained and the sky accentuated the landscape.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Good first quarter mile climb. Then normal AZ hiking with ups and downs along a well worn path. Great views.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

it's was great.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

great

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Easy

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Excellent hike. Except for a short section at the beginning where I wished I was in better shape, the trek was easy. The trail is also used for horses, so nobody minded Happy being off leash. Except for a little fall, an encounter with some horse dung (smelly dog) and a jumping cactus that attacked my perfectly innocent dog

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Good and easy

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Great little hike with the dogs, beautiful city view, easy trail!

Sunday, May 10, 2015

I used to live at South Mountain, two blocks from the trails, and when I did, I hiked every couple of days. Alas, then I moved away, and now I am forced to drive back to hike there, but it's worth the drive! South Mountain hiking is excellent. Today I went looking for the Alta trail. I am pretty sure I have been on it before, but I have never seen a marker for the trail, so can't actually claim that for sure.
I went up the Ma Ha Tauk, which I think is kind of a back door to Alta. That is 1.5 miles south of the Ramadas above 15th Avenue, south of Dobbins. It is a strenuous, but still fairly uninteresting trail that snakes up the south side of the range to near the top. There are some rocks to scramble over and it does take your wind, but is still completely manageable.. Anyway, I made it to the top! On top is I think the Alta, but it is not marked, so uncertain. I still would like to claim I did the Alta. but I chickened out and turned around just before the first peak. Oh well, try again later!

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

South Mountain isn't really the place to go if you want to get away from the city, but this trail simply feels like an extension of a sidewalk. I picked up a considerable amount of trash on this poorly maintained and marked trail and the amount of broken glass I saw was staggering.

Short, easy, boring hike.