L.V. Yates Trail (#8)

L.V. Yates Trail (#8) is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 620 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Did 304-8 yesterday. 304 is a connector from Squaw Peak Drive that leads over the mountains to 8. At the low point of 8, there is a wash leading from 8 off to the northwest. I had passed by the wash several times but had never gone inside. Yesterday I decided to hike inside a bit and check out the wash. It is a long and broad wash and I really didn't travel that far inside. The wash is cloaked with trees and bushes so that there is actually little sunlight leaking inside. It is well shaded. As I passed through the wash, at one point I leaned over to the side of the wash to study a rock platform. Looking down from where I had leaned over, I immediately saw a large rattlesnake curled up on rock and dirt. It was practically invisible to view, with a pattern on its hide that precisely matched rock and dirt. I didn't see it until it was too late. There was less than a foot between my chest and this giant snake. Also, though, I didn't hear anything as I approached. No rattle and no movement. I stood very close, but didn't hear a sound. I jumped back anyway, leaping out of range while watching the snake. It did not move! Then I threw a rock at it, with the rock missing the snake's body but landing close by. No movement! The snake was asleep or dead, and it was my lucky day. Had it been awake or alive as I approached, it could easily have bitten me, including maybe in the heart. If so, today I would be dead! Oh well, fun hiking in Phoenix.

Great trail! Perfect for all levels and other trails branch off from it. Great views so it’s worth it to make it to the top.

beautiful trail.

Terrible trail. Nothing but loose rocks!!! Pinnacle Peak or Camelback are much better.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Took this trail today and did a full loop of the preserves. I parked at the lot at 40th St and Shea and took this trail (8) to the 304, then to 200 (Mohave Trail), 202 Mohave Connector, then to the 8A, which connected back with the 8 and back to my car. It was about 8.5 miles round trip. A fun idea if you have a few hours to spare!

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Great trail in the Phoenix Mountains Park. There are many great trails here. I parked at the 40th and Shea TH because it's close to home. This is a good trail because you can view the Squaw Peak area without a steep hike. It is good for beginners. It is pretty flat except near the saddle where the massive Quartz boulder is. Just watch out for mountain bikers!

Thursday, November 02, 2017

Pretty steady trail, definitely good for bringing non-experienced hikers or children. Nice parking lot, bathrooms, water fountain

Friday, April 07, 2017

Some decent mountain biking..... good climbing and unfortunately not so pleasant hike a bike sections.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Nice trail. It gives you a little bit of a challenge.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Awesome trail, hiked it in total shade! went out at 6am in the summer and finished the trail right as the sun come over the mountain.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

quick but still challenging! in the early morning the trail is shaded too

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Great for a quick hike to make you feel energized. Not too crowded but the fellow hikers are pretty cool. I always leave having a great appreciation for my Arizona backyard.

Friday, March 25, 2016

good trail with kids

Saturday, March 12, 2016

It's a great hike. Steep and rocky in areas.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

We always did this at night and came from the Squaw Peak parking lot several varied ways.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Good if you are interested in scaling up & down a hill. The view on top is nice. But overall a boring/short hike.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Hiked today with my daughters girl scout troop of our annual hike...we really enjoy the trails here...different levels of difficulty for all ages!

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Good, quick little trail that gets the heart-rate going. Easy to do before sunrise on those hot summer days. Trail is on the west side of the mountain and gets good morning shade. Get there early on the weekends if you want to park in the lot.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

I came looking for Quartz Ridge Trail, and I found it, but I didn't take it. Instead, I just continued along the trail from the 40th Street Trailhead parking lot, and then climbed up to Two Bit Peak. The trail to the peak is a fairly difficult one, cut out of sharp rocks and climbing steeply to the top. It calls for some careful stepping, and, at least for me, a couple of rest stops along the way. There are actually two peaks. The one to the south is really just a cluster of fallen down boulders with no clear trail to the top. It can be climbed, but if you are like me, you will appreciate the many hand holds along the way. I held on, but nearly grabbed hold of a cactus one time when I stumbled! The peak to the north also climbs steeply, but with a clearer trail to the top. The peaks might climb to 3,000 feet, and both offer great views of Squaw Peak, Camelback, and even the McDowell Mountains in Scottsdale. Probably on a clear day you would see Four Peaks, but not today. All in all, a great and fairly challenging hike.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Very nice trail. Hiking here twice a week.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Interesting, rocky trail wit beautiful morning feel. moderately strenuous. the views and scenery gives the uplift to keep going. Good hiking shoes a must as you have to look where you step.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

This trail is amazing. It's definitely fit for grown kids (10+) but wouldn't recommend it to younger ones! Saw lots of 7ish kids crying their sweet faces off towards the peak. Also, don't attempt this with a stroller! Other than that, very doable, great workout, great views!

recorded L.V. Yates Trail (#8)