Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

L.V. Yates Trail (#8) is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 620 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trails in the Preserve are rocky, but this one takes the cake. It is all granite, slate and loose rock. It is probably the most rocky trail I've ever been on. It gets you back into the hills pretty quick, where it's beautiful and quiet, which is why I gave it 2 stars, but I wasn't comfortable looking around while hiking. Instead, I had to really focus on where I placed each step. On the plus side, the trails in the Preserve are typically not well marked and I oftentimes have to use my map. This trail is perfectly marked and leaves no room for venturing off course.

Ok for short flat hike

First time at this trail so didn’t really pick a specific trail to hike and was suggested to explore Trail 100 to Tatum (east) or towards opposite direction (west). Since the sun was in our face heading west and it was still about 105 degrees, we chose to hike Eastbound. We noticed we basically walked behind the beautiful big homes as if we were walking in their backyard, but it was still pretty! Excited to come back when it’s cooler to check out the many trails this beauty has to offer!! P.S. Not much shade either & rocky terrain. Oh, they have bathrooms, yay!!!

Did 304-8 yesterday. 304 is a connector from Squaw Peak Drive that leads over the mountains to 8. At the low point of 8, there is a wash leading from 8 off to the northwest. I had passed by the wash several times but had never gone inside. Yesterday I decided to hike inside a bit and check out the wash. It is a long and broad wash and I really didn't travel that far inside. The wash is cloaked with trees and bushes so that there is actually little sunlight leaking inside. It is well shaded. As I passed through the wash, at one point I leaned over to the side of the wash to study a rock platform. Looking down from where I had leaned over, I immediately saw a large rattlesnake curled up on rock and dirt. It was practically invisible to view, with a pattern on its hide that precisely matched rock and dirt. I didn't see it until it was too late. There was less than a foot between my chest and this giant snake. Also, though, I didn't hear anything as I approached. No rattle and no movement. I stood very close, but didn't hear a sound. I jumped back anyway, leaping out of range while watching the snake. It did not move! Then I threw a rock at it, with the rock missing the snake's body but landing close by. No movement! The snake was asleep or dead, and it was my lucky day. Had it been awake or alive as I approached, it could easily have bitten me, including maybe in the heart. If so, today I would be dead! Oh well, fun hiking in Phoenix.

Great trail! Perfect for all levels and other trails branch off from it. Great views so it’s worth it to make it to the top.

Fri Mar 01 2019

beautiful trail.

Sun Feb 24 2019

Wed Oct 24 2018

Terrible trail. Nothing but loose rocks!!! Pinnacle Peak or Camelback are much better.

Wed Dec 27 2017

Took this trail today and did a full loop of the preserves. I parked at the lot at 40th St and Shea and took this trail (8) to the 304, then to 200 (Mohave Trail), 202 Mohave Connector, then to the 8A, which connected back with the 8 and back to my car. It was about 8.5 miles round trip. A fun idea if you have a few hours to spare!

Sun Nov 12 2017

Great trail in the Phoenix Mountains Park. There are many great trails here. I parked at the 40th and Shea TH because it's close to home. This is a good trail because you can view the Squaw Peak area without a steep hike. It is good for beginners. It is pretty flat except near the saddle where the massive Quartz boulder is. Just watch out for mountain bikers!

Thu Nov 02 2017

Pretty steady trail, definitely good for bringing non-experienced hikers or children. Nice parking lot, bathrooms, water fountain

Fri Apr 07 2017

Some decent mountain biking..... good climbing and unfortunately not so pleasant hike a bike sections.

Sat Jan 14 2017

Nice trail. It gives you a little bit of a challenge.

Wed Aug 10 2016

Awesome trail, hiked it in total shade! went out at 6am in the summer and finished the trail right as the sun come over the mountain.

Thu Jun 16 2016

quick but still challenging! in the early morning the trail is shaded too

Sat Mar 26 2016

Great for a quick hike to make you feel energized. Not too crowded but the fellow hikers are pretty cool. I always leave having a great appreciation for my Arizona backyard.