Loy Canyon Trail

Loy Canyon Trail is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2076 feet

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive 35 miles south through Sedona on US 89A. 5 miles past Sedona turn north on FR 525 and follow the signs toward Loy Butte 9.3 miles to the trailhead. Watch for signs and a parking area on your right just before the Hancock Ranch.

Pleasantly wonderful! Yes this trail is a little sandy. It had rained the night before, so the sand was packed down. Which made it easier to hike on. The trail is under a forest canopy. Old Alligator Juniper lay witness to it all. Some as wide as 5 feet. The trail has a constant wash crossing , through out the first 3 miles. It is very clear that you are some place else. As it appears to be ancient stomping grounds. The Honanki Indian ruins are a 1/2 mile further west of the trail head. So you can just imagine what life was like during that time. The last 2 miles are a combination of switch backs and elevation gain. But take your time- you’ll do fine. When you reach the saddle, hang a left - another 1/3 of a mile is the Secret Mountain trailhead. And that spot opens up to a wide view. You can be proud of yourself! You just hiked all through that view! WOW

Yeah there’s some sandy bits early on, but it’s no biggy all in all. Very much a trail where you need to search for the excitement and views early on. Climbing the switchbacks and the clifftop traverse make the day. A trot up to secret mountain or the trail head are equally rewarding.

Very forested which was nice. As others mentioned the first two miles are very sandy. I had a javelina charge me on this trail so beware. The red rock views are obstructed by the dense forest. Lots of shade. I only went three miles in then came back so maybe I missed the better views.

Starting out was sandy for bit but gets hard going up, beautiful. We did not see one person.
But we made it to the top. Once you get to the section where the sign says secret mountain trailhead your almost to the top. Beautiful view makes it worth it. This was our first hard hike.

this was our first ever hard hike, but we made it. great views at the top and well worth it.

Bit sandy near the beginning, and gets very hard once you start going up. The views are pretty spectacular!

Great trail! If you're in sedona on a busy weekend and want a great hike without a lot of people, this is a great option. I did this hike towards the end of October but I can imagine if you did it in late Sept- early Oct the leaves would be amazing. This trail was covered pretty well for the first several mikes which would make it great for a warm day. However, about 4 miles in you start to climb in an unshaded area. Great for this October day, but probably a little toasty in the summer. It was a little sandy for the first two miles. I found it a tad annoying, but not too bad. Even though I was hiking on a busy sedona Saturday, I still only saw three people the whole time. Beautiful trail with great views of the red rocks through the trees. I drove my ford Taurus on the dirt road with absolutely no issues (thankfully 4wd is not required, but I can't speak for a day after a big rain)

Great trail and fantastic workout! The trail starts out on soft sand for a little ways (maybe the first mile or less). There's quite a bit of shade during the first couple (give or take) miles as well, which was great for a warm day. A lot of narrow stretches on this path, so be ready for a lot of branches brushing against you as you pass, and watch out for cacti sticking out into the path. (I accidentally brushed my leg against a prickly pear sticking out, as I was more focused on the rock steps. I had two people helping me pull those fine needles out of my leg, and had to finish the process when I got home! Lol.)
You'll find an amazing lookout point at about 4 miles in. When you reach the intersection with Secret Mountain Trail, you've reached "the saddle", just under 5 miles in. Continue to the right for maybe 0.2 miles to the top of Secret Mountain. The trail appears to continue beyond this point but not sure where it goes. Never saw any water on this trail.

Friday, May 05, 2017

Sunday, May 29, 2016

First thing, the sign at the trailhead says this hike is rated as easy. This is true of the first 2 miles or so, which follows the dry wash along the canyon bottom, but if you plan to complete the trail it becomes difficult. The majority of this first section is a sandy trail (rather hindering). Also, while you are hiking in the canyon surrounded by beautiful red rock buttes, the view is obscured by trees so you rarely get a full view. After you're done with the "easy" part of the trail at about mile 3 you will ascend notably and eventually encounter some steep switchbacks. The views at the top are worth going beyond the "easy" portion of this trail. Technically it ends at the saddle where the Loy trail meets the Secret Mountain trail. But make the extra 200ft climb up to the Secret Mountain Trailhead to be rewarded with spectacular views and enjoy your lunch!

Sunday, March 04, 2012

The trailhead for Loy Canyon is located 10 miles west of Sedona on US 89A, then turn right onto Forest Road 525. Take the right fork after 2.7 miles and the left fork after 5.7 miles. There is a sign that reads, "Loy Butte-4 miles". At 9.2 miles from the highway and just before you cross a tree-lined wash, there is a small Forest Service sign on your right marking the Loy Canyon Trail. We used this trail to access Secret Mountainup to the saddle. The trail itself, begins in desert scrub, following a dry wash. Soon the vegitation becomes dense. After 3.5 miles the switchbacks begin. The trail is moderate and ends at the saddle at the end of Loy Canyon and Secret Mountain. Along with my sons Ron and Bob, we went as far as 1.5 miles past the saddle, where my son hurt his ankle and we had to slowly return to the car. We never got to the overlooks. But any hike is a good hike with family.

recorded Loy Canyon Trail