New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Lower Salt River Nature Trail

Lower Salt River Nature Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fountain Hills, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 49 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: $12 parking fee

Trailhead location is definitely not marked. Start behind the restroom facility on the left as you face the river. Easy hike but beautiful. Good hike for wild horse sightings.

This is a beautiful trail and is exactly as described- a nature walk through various plant zones. Challenging to find if you don’t know where to look. The restroom to the far left is a general direction to go in as you descend behind it - there are signs once you find the trail and it’s well traveled- easy walking on level ground.

love this trail. it was well marked and eady to follow

fee

There is a $12 fee to park. We probably walked a half mile and realized we were going in the wrong direction. The trail begins behind the restroom facility. It is a pretty trail ... a little too easy for my liking, but any time spent outside, surrounded by cacti and beautiful mountains, is time well spent. Was hoping to see the horses, but saw *evidence* left behind, and plenty of it

We were a little confused as to the start of the trail and we didn’t hike the “real” trail but went the other way along the river path. We started by turning right from the parking lot (which has a meter to pay $12). The scenery was spectacular with tree covered paths with a small climb up and the view of the mountains were incredible! There was so much horse droppings but we saw no horses. We went with four kids (10y, 7y, 4y, 1y).

fee

What a beautiful trail!! We spotted some wild horses while here today. What a treat! The diversity in flora was incredible.

Good tour of a flat Sonoran desert area. Overgrown in places but fairly easy to locate from Phon D Sutton recreation site.

Wild horses met us in the far parking lot and another group walked near the highway on our way out- 7 in total. Saw what we came for! We walked beyond the marked trail to start and the river & mountain views were worth it. Marked trail is an easy and well marked loop.

Great easy hike for the kiddos! Lots of beautiful views and wild horses walked right by us!

Flat trail construction equipment made noise the whole time across river

Easy hike. Can't see too much of the river, but it's still pretty.

9-15-19 Nice easy morning hike picking up garbage on the lower salt river trail with Girl Take a Hike, AZ. 3 Wild Horses came up along the trail and what a beautiful sight to see!! Bathrooms on site, Fee Required, Enjoy!!!

Well one can only see some peekaboo views of the river from the trail and definitely not the one that is highlighted as the “main photo of the hike”. Nevertheless my wife and I liked it as the terrain is quite different for the desert of the Phoenix area. It has lots of trees that create a canopy over the trail and many parts reminded us of a prairie.

Great trail for kids! Wish we would have come sooner before all the grass died off. We saw a little corn snake and a herd of 8 wild horses. Would definitely come back!

Not all that scenic, not really along the river (you can’t really see it most of the time), overgrown in parts, and lots of side trails to confuse you. Saw a rattlesnake and he was not happy to see me. I would have been unhappy if I had paid $12 to park here but my national parks pass meant I was only out the time I spent. Not the kind of trail I’d bother with twice.

Not as near the water as I thought it would be, but pretty none the less. Some of the paths are over grown and could use some clearing. A nice little loop.

Starts off pleasant. Came across several huge rattle snakes. The trail get quite narrow and a lot of over grown grass. I would not recommend this trail for kids or dogs.

Came across 4 huge rattle snakes. Trails get very narrow with a lot of tall grass. I would not recommend for family’s.

super chill and easy

Easy trail, everything was so green and lots of flowers blooming. We didn’t see any wild horses, but we did come across one rattlesnake under a bush and two more doing a dance (fighting for dominance?). Not the most impressive hike we have done, but it was good with our 10 month old daughter.

Nice trail. Easy to follow. sad to see soo many dead trees in this area.

We went on a Tuesday, so it wasn't packed at all. It was quite and peaceful. The desert was super green. We didn't see horses, but would definitely do it again. The trails are easy to follow if you go the right way!

perfect for little kids. this one will be a favorite that we return to often. the flowers were incredible and the variation of both scenery and foliage were fantastic

Beautiful trail! More of a walk, but the views were so beautiful, and the wild horses near the river made a perfect end to the trail/walk.

Went right after rain and while it was ever so slightly drizzling. Easy trail, with trees and green grass not typical of Arizona. The rain definitely helped pack down the sand in a lot of places. I felt like it might be kinda dusty otherwise. Not enough views of the water. Didn’t see any animals. Not sure if it was just the rain but there were a lot of tiny bugs flying. Nothing that bit. A lot of trail markers but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep map open while you go. Easy and the dogs loved it. Good one for a very short weekday hike (more like a stroll really)

Banner bird day on the Lower Salt River Nature loop! The soft, deep river dirt trail makes for a lot of dust, and some rare cloud cover made the peace a blanketed kind of still. A pretty great Mesquite Forest provides muffled light and sound on the far end of loop on the river side. Species seen: Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Ruby Crowned Kinglet, Belted Kingfisher, Northern Cardinal, Common Yellowthroat!, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Say’s Phoebe, Phainopepla, Lesser Yellowlegs, Killdeer,