Lower La Barge Box Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from September until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,139 feet Route Type: Loop

DO NOT attempt this trail in summer! I started at 7am and it was lovely out. I decided to do it clockwise- couldn’t find the trail so I followed the DRY bed all the way up-I hopped ALOT of boulders. The nicest view was at the halfway point of the stream coming into the pool that is there. I decided to hike Battleship since I was already there but that proved more challenging than I thought! Lots of hopping up there as well along with trail finding. On the way back, followed the trail easily. At this point it was 11am and it was HOT. There is NO shade on this trail and no flowing water to cool off in. Wear pants- I sustained numerous scratches. Save this one for after a heavy rainfall!

Lost a pair of ray bans in the first deep pool around the 1st bend of la barge box when it was flowing hard a few weeks ago. Went back yesterday via first water but an algae bloom prevented me from seeing anything and water was still kind of deep. Will pay reward- email is 87murphy@cua.edu .

Water water water. You need to wear shoes that are fine with going in the water. trail on the second part is nowhere to be found. we went counter clockwise and hiked up Battleship mountain. Beautiful but hard to follow the lake side .

This was a tough hike with the most challenging part being the hike through the riverbed on the east side of the loop. Quite a lot of boulder hopping which is mostly fun but also somewhat tiring. Great day and great weather.

We loved it! About seven hours with a little lunch break and a few photos here and there! We were lucky to see so much water, after some winter rain! It was fun and beautiful. My legs are pretty tired!

This was beautiful but be aware it is definitely around 12.5 miles not 9.5. When you get to the battleship mountain where the trail splits if you got left there is literally no trail. You can walk up a creek if there’s not too much water but if it’s flowing strong you’ll be boulder shopping and Probably getting your feet a little wet. The trail to the right is definitely more clear of a path. It’s still worth it though and beautiful though

Water was flowing along both LaBarge and Boulder but much less than Jan 1st after heavy late Dec rains. This made creek crossings easy and more options of walking up the LaBarge creek bed. With All Trails you can pin point crossings and what side of the creek is best. Zero route finding issues and lots of cairns. We went clockwise and were happily surprised at the well traveled trail over the south end of battleship mountain. The hike out the final miles of Boulder Ck to Canyon lake, up and down makes the ~10 mile hike feel a lot longer. Still a lot of water and green, including grasses. 4 stars only for the final 2 miles of loose rock.

Lost black Garmin remote somewhere between miles 0 and 2, if you happen upon it you can contact me at jhbolton93@gmail.com Really great views, definitely lives up to its “hard” rating. We brought our dogs, golden doodle and Yorkie and would definitely recommend some footwear for them as they sustained some paw damage but they absolutely loved swimming in the river about 4 miles in. Don’t let the cool weather throw you off, bring a good amount of water and wear sunscreen, we were cold wearing jackets when we parked and about half a mile in stripped down to tank tops.

This hike was truly a desert oasis, a jewel of the Superstition Mountains. There is an incredible amount of bouldering and bushwhacking involved but well worth it for the amazing views!

"Hard" rating was true to form. Great Hike for the first half. Still good for the second half. We took the lower La Barge loop counter clockwise and enjoyed every minute. We didn't see many other hikers until the turn off trail to Battleship (Battleship Mountain Scramble Trail). The weather was chilly at our start (7 AM) until the Sun came over the ridge. At that point we were stripping layers off to stay cool. Once we turned on the Upper La Barge Canyon Trail, for our return trip, we were scrambling for the next 2 miles. Very Beautiful views but we lost the trail many times. Once we found something that look like it use to be a trail, we lost it just as quickly again. This portion of the Upper La Barge Canyon Trail looked like it had flooded from all the rain in December '19 and was clogged with all the debris. A machete would have come in handy. The water in the creek bed was flowing freely & clear. As long as you stay near the Creek bed you will find your way out. Stay calm and keep your wits about you and you will return to Canyon Lake safely.

Did a loop around Battleship. Wouldn’t recommend going off the suggested trail. Unless you want to hike though a riverbed.

I did this hike, however I started from Lost Dutchman trail which is shorter and easier than from Canyon Lake. Great hike, the loop around Battleship mountain was tough, big boulders and overgrown brush. Clocked almost 12 miles. Definitely worth the trip.

I added Battleship Mountain summit to this loop and for sure that was the highlight, would highly recommend. Gorgeous views but a bit sketchy in spots getting up! As for the rest of the loop, Boulder Canyon trail is great... up until Boulder Canyon. My second time on that section and not my favorite personally, will avoid in the future. A bit tedious following the trail back and forth across the wash, as well as bushwhacking and boulder-hopping back along La-Barge Creek. FYI there is a really nice campsite under a shady cottonwood tree right where the trail over the saddle meets La Barge Canyon. Explored the box canyon there a little ways, which was pretty cool.

Super cool spot! You can also reach this from first water trailhead. The section to the east of battleship mountain is tough, boulder hopping the whole way. Stay as close to the waterline as you can, or the center of the stream bed if it is dry. That will end up being the easiest way through the canyon, trying to skirt up the sides will only result in catclaw traps.

Hiked this trail back in February and it was beautiful, but we went in a counter-clockwise loop and could not find the trail once we got over the saddle and back to low barge canyon. We had to rock-hop and bushwhack all the way back to where we initially entered into the canyon area. Made for a fun adventure, though, even if it took us way longer to get back

Wed Apr 10 2019

Be aware that this supposed loop trail is not a real loop. We went up the west side of Battleship Mountain then made the cross over to the saddle to a fantastic view of the La Barge Creek valley. Spectacular is all I can say. At this point the trail does not really exist to complete the loop. You have to rock hop and bushwhack your way all the way back to where the loop starts and heads back to the trailhead. All up hill by the way. The distance we measured was 11.1 miles and we all ran out of almost 3 liters of water. This is a beautiful hike but very difficult. My legs and body are feeling it today.

Sat Mar 30 2019

This is a tough hike that requires navigation skills, the ability to boulder hop and patience enough cross the creek more than a few times to get to your destination. I took 4 liters of water and ran out before the 3 mile section back to the car. Next time I will take a water filter and I advise the same mostly due the the length of time this hike takes and the sun exposure tends to wear on you a bit even in milder temperatures. Sunscreen and a hat are good suggestions as well on sunny days. Beautiful hike though and well worth the time and effort. A bit longer that the 9 miles. I tracked it at 12.