Lost Dutchman Loop

Lost Dutchman Loop is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from January until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I never saw another person on this trail

Great trail with some small creek crossings . Peaceful but with very little shade . Saw 4 rattle snakes on my 9 mile hike with my dog Marble . Recommend . Bring lots of water and make sure you use this app for GPS purposes . The trail gets dodgy towards the middle where everything looks the same . Bust this app out and make sure you are on the right path .

First off the name of the trailhead is First Water, not Lost Dutchman Loop. No one at the ranger station at Lost Dutchman State Park heard of Lost Dutchman loop. To get to the trailhead you drive about 2 miles past the entrance to Lost Dutchman State Park of which most is dirt and a little bumpy. The road ends at the trailhead. There is NO charge to park at the trailhead. They do charge $7.00 per car at the Lost Dutchman State Park area where the bathrooms are. No bathrooms at the trailhead. To do the 9+ mile loop I went 104 (Lost Dutchman) to where it meets 241 (Black Mesa), took a left. I went counter-clockwise. Then took 241 to 263 (Second Water Trail), also took left at merger point. It's about 5 miles to the 104/241 merger and then the next one mile or so is uphill. Lots of flowers out and nice breeze. Water in the creek along 104 trail. Two people said they saw rattlesnakes, I neither heard nor saw any but did see lots of rabbits, squirrels, birds, and lizards. Left early in morning and took about 3 hours or so to do the 9 miles. Only saw about 6 people total and it was on a Thursday. Very scenic and peaceful. Lots of horse crap but didn't see any horses. How can horses crap so much just eating grass. :-) Enjoy and if you go in summer you better have lots of water as there is very little shade anywhere on the loop. This is rated as "Hard" but I would say at the most it's moderate only because it's 9 miles long. Not a lot of elevation gain and many flat areas. I do hike quite a bit and do lots of mountain hikes so if you are new it might be more difficult particular if it's summer and hot.

Not as hard as advertised
Perfect to see wildflowers
Ok for a family hike

Absolutely amazing hike 30 minute mile it took us 5 hours

Good training trail. I did the loop (actually 3 different trails) clockwise. It was great but I think the views would be better the reverse way.

I ♡ this place, I enjoy the scenery more than anything out there! Also the history and stories are great! My friend and I and my fat little pom pom went up there on a fall afternoon, it was def still hot and I regret taking my lil fluffy dog, mostly ended up carrying him the whole way and dumping all our water on him to keep him cool, but we brought enough and snacks and it was a perfect time! The best was we did not see any other people, trail to ourselves! The start of the trail is flat, easy and I thought a bit boring just walking through the desert, but once you get up to the mountain and the big rocks, that's where I got excited! My little dog is now RIP but I have gotten a new big dog now with a light coat of hair and he is young and active, we are for sure going back this winter! :)

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Beautiful hoohoos, mountain tructures, plant life and views from this trail. definitely not one of the hardest I've done but probably could be a little challenging for beginners. Took me about 4 hours to really do a little of all the trails there and ended leaving around 1 when it was 106 degrees. I recommend going early in the morning considering its summer,grab one of their trail maps from the front which were very helpful and bring more water than you think you should. I went through 3 liters. Bring sugary salty snacks becsuse you may get a little weak fron the sun. I would definitely do this hike again and honestly the history behind this State Park is quite interesting too!