Lost Dutchman Loop

Lost Dutchman Loop is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from January until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I never saw another person on this trail

Have hiked this trail 2x now, and would do it again. Love the views and seclusion.

Bring Water! is a beautiful hike and is a great way to see this area of the country. Recommend doing the trail clockwise. Working it counterclockwise as I did you end up hiking over half the distance and then have a rather vertical climb to come back down three gradual descent.

Either way you go remember that the last half mile is uphill because your first half mile is downhill.

There are few places where you cross river beds and it is hard to find where the path is.

There will be no phone or internet connection for 99% of the hike so download map before and bring a paper copy.

Very few places with shade to stop, so take ite when you can.

The views are wonderful and it was wonderful being out of communications core a few hours.

Be aware, this is less traveled, almost stepped on a local...snake.

Great trail with some small creek crossings . Peaceful but with very little shade . Saw 4 rattle snakes on my 9 mile hike with my dog Marble . Recommend . Bring lots of water and make sure you use this app for GPS purposes . The trail gets dodgy towards the middle where everything looks the same . Bust this app out and make sure you are on the right path .

First off the name of the trailhead is First Water, not Lost Dutchman Loop. No one at the ranger station at Lost Dutchman State Park heard of Lost Dutchman loop. To get to the trailhead you drive about 2 miles past the entrance to Lost Dutchman State Park of which most is dirt and a little bumpy. The road ends at the trailhead. There is NO charge to park at the trailhead. They do charge $7.00 per car at the Lost Dutchman State Park area where the bathrooms are. No bathrooms at the trailhead. To do the 9+ mile loop I went 104 (Lost Dutchman) to where it meets 241 (Black Mesa), took a left. I went counter-clockwise. Then took 241 to 263 (Second Water Trail), also took left at merger point. It's about 5 miles to the 104/241 merger and then the next one mile or so is uphill. Lots of flowers out and nice breeze. Water in the creek along 104 trail. Two people said they saw rattlesnakes, I neither heard nor saw any but did see lots of rabbits, squirrels, birds, and lizards. Left early in morning and took about 3 hours or so to do the 9 miles. Only saw about 6 people total and it was on a Thursday. Very scenic and peaceful. Lots of horse crap but didn't see any horses. How can horses crap so much just eating grass. :-) Enjoy and if you go in summer you better have lots of water as there is very little shade anywhere on the loop. This is rated as "Hard" but I would say at the most it's moderate only because it's 9 miles long. Not a lot of elevation gain and many flat areas. I do hike quite a bit and do lots of mountain hikes so if you are new it might be more difficult particular if it's summer and hot.

Not as hard as advertised
Perfect to see wildflowers
Ok for a family hike

Absolutely amazing hike 30 minute mile it took us 5 hours

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Good training trail. I did the loop (actually 3 different trails) clockwise. It was great but I think the views would be better the reverse way.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

I ♡ this place, I enjoy the scenery more than anything out there! Also the history and stories are great! My friend and I and my fat little pom pom went up there on a fall afternoon, it was def still hot and I regret taking my lil fluffy dog, mostly ended up carrying him the whole way and dumping all our water on him to keep him cool, but we brought enough and snacks and it was a perfect time! The best was we did not see any other people, trail to ourselves! The start of the trail is flat, easy and I thought a bit boring just walking through the desert, but once you get up to the mountain and the big rocks, that's where I got excited! My little dog is now RIP but I have gotten a new big dog now with a light coat of hair and he is young and active, we are for sure going back this winter! :)

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Beautiful hoohoos, mountain tructures, plant life and views from this trail. definitely not one of the hardest I've done but probably could be a little challenging for beginners. Took me about 4 hours to really do a little of all the trails there and ended leaving around 1 when it was 106 degrees. I recommend going early in the morning considering its summer,grab one of their trail maps from the front which were very helpful and bring more water than you think you should. I went through 3 liters. Bring sugary salty snacks becsuse you may get a little weak fron the sun. I would definitely do this hike again and honestly the history behind this State Park is quite interesting too!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Nice place to run!

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Great hike!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Good views . Nothing challenging. Get to look at the Praying Hands close up

Friday, April 08, 2016

Fun for the family. Nothing challenging but some good views at top. We've done it multiple times

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

It was a very enjoyable trail. We took our 7 & 9 year old daughters along. Beautiful views

Sunday, February 07, 2016

It was a beautiful day and the trail was challenging but definitely worth the awesome scenery. However, this is a 9.5 mile loop from First Water trailhead to Black Mesa trail and return on Lost Dutchman Trail. Great hike!

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Starts off very easy, but becomes more challenging after about the halfway point. The steep incline of rocks makes it even more challenging if wet/rainy out. Lots of plant life and beautiful views. One of the volunteers working out there said that they don't recommend the upper section for dogs, but ours were fine. Would recommend checking it out! There was a $7 fee to enter.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

This hike was a little more challenging then I thought it was going to be! Nice incline = nice workout! Great views from the top. I love that shortly after leaving the car you feel like you are far from any population. We only saw one other group of hikers out in the distance. Not a lot of shade but we went in the evening during summer and had a cool breeze during parts. There was a fee to park.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Beautiful spring loop trail with great views of the valley. Hiked on April 1st, lots of wildflowers blooming, with kids (7 & 9 y.o.) and enjoyed the beautiful day!

Sunday, July 14, 2013

This was a long hike for my 7 year old but she was a trooper and completed. A little climbing but that made it more fun for my kids. A nice work out with a beautiful view a the end.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

just beautiful and hard lots of over growth brush. this time of the year lots of water as there is still snow on the mountain. and it is melting. I got a lot of cuts from the brush but it was worth it, just beautiful