Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Lost Dog Wash Trail to Ringtail Trail Loop

Lost Dog Wash Trail to Ringtail Trail Loop is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From the end of the road the trail is an old jeep trail that climbs steadily to the north. After a half a mile the trail turns west and crosses a couple of washes before turning north again. It then climbs a low ridge with good views of the Valley. After cresting the ridge, the trail drops down the west side and heads toward Lost Dog Wash. When you get to the wash there is a T-intersection. Take the right fork and head north toward Talliesin Ridge. The trail climbs in and out of a series of small washes as it continue to climb toward the ridge. The trail is well maintained and the climbs are hardly strenuous. There is an overlook at the top of Talliesin Ridge and there are great views of Camelback, Squaw Peak and Pinnacle Peak.

Extremely rocky pretty much the whole way. Upside, there's restrooms and lots of options from this trailhead as far as which trail(s) you want to hike and how far. Not as nice as Sunrise Peak, but with all the green and flora in March, it's beautiful.

It was an awesome hike ! Beautiful weather, cool temperature and fabulous scenery !! Very few people on the trail. What more could you ask for ?? Our pup enjoyed the hike as well !

This was a nice easy to moderate trail. A bit rocky. Need to mind your steps. This was my first time here and stopped a bit for pictures of wildflowers and views.

The Facilities should be updated to include the fact of a Restroom or Bathroom! Very important for the Facilities section of this App!
We found the signage a bit confusing on the trail for the Dog wash Ring trail loop. Ended up traversing several great trails in this area.

I found this trail pretty boring. If you just want a quick workout, it’s fine, but otherwise it’s just pretty easy and doesn’t offer any great views. That’s just my opinion. Easy to stay on the correct trails if you’re using this app, otherwise you’ll likely be confused in the beginning, as there are lots of forks.

Perfect walk for Mellody, just what we wanted. Recommend this for dessert scenery and nice views.

Bathrooms
Multiple trails to chose from
At Shea and 124 st. GPS gets lost.

nice comfortable hike

Nice hike, the Old Jeep Trail portion is very rocky though. I hike all over the valley and would say this is not necessarily family friendly, but that’s my opinion.

Nice hike with a Beautiful view of the valley at the end. Took my 8 year old and Husky, they did just fine. Lots of blooms coming up.

Easy enough hike, elevation was easy, clean trail, nice views of hills

Nice hike, super dog and it’s friendly. Our doxie did great! Beautiful scenery. Not difficult by any means, nice little hike.

Great trail that offers some short interval inclines as well as nice meandering sections. Fun trail to break a little sweat and enjoy the weather.

This was a nice hike, though completely misleading. I was unable to see Frank LLoyd Wright's home even though we followed all the signs to the Taliesan overlook, which is a bit separate than the ringtail loop and is a separate turn off. It was upsetting to follow a trail that said Taliesan overlook but did not provide any fiew of the home and architecture school.

Hiked on 1/1/19. I enjoyed the gentle incline. This is a nice trail for admiring the plants. Also good for kids. My 5 year old hiked it with me.

Easy trail but rocky, I wouldn’t recommend running or jogging this one. Beautiful, quiet and worth doing.

Nice views, and not too strenuous.

Enjoyed the wonderful loop with a family of 10. Ages ranged from 15-78, and all were able to participate and enjoy the views. The family educational loop was enjoyable at the end of our hike where we could reflect on the experience and have one last laugh before we departed. Watch out for the chollas!!

A nice trail for a morning hike. Lots of traffic - hikers, runners and cyclists - but all were super chill.

Took much longer than expected with my seven- and nine-year old kids. But totally doable as a family.

Great workout trail but not my favorite for views. If you want more moderate uphill take it clockwise steeper grade counterclockwise. will probably do trail again in spring as i think there will be a lot of desert blooms to see then. Travel safe.

it was a great hike..make sure you don't leave the trail..beware of jumping cacti

Pretty rocky but doable for an intermediate biker although logistically tough with the amount of traffic the trail had. Didn’t go very far as I realized I would be having to get off an walk most of the downhill to avoid the hikers and many blind turns.

One of my favorites among the moderate trails

I thought it was kind of long and boring. There was hardly anyone around. I prefer a busier trail. It's a slow gradual climb so you can take it easy and stop get your steps in. If you like to be alone, this would be a good trail for you. I wouldn't do it again.

boring

Meh. It's OK but there's nothing that would bring me back out to do it again. If I had more time, some of the other trails that branched off of this loop had promise.

If the McDowell mountains were a nice jewelry store and you were looking for an engagement ring, this hike would qualify for the bargain basement ... that value corner option that will have to do when funds are limited. Continuously rocky throughout, I felt like I was “driving” down a poorly managed road/drainage wash full of potholes in desperate need of resurfacing. The second star comes from the views of the East Valley/South Scottsdale at the top of the range.

P.S. I will cop to bias in that I have been spoiled hiking all through the north side of the McDowells (Tom’s thumb, Brown’s ranch mountain, Granite mountain, Fraesfield, McDowell mountain park) for some time which are far superior in everything desert hikers want versus this trail. It’s like comparing the South rim of the Grand Canyon with the North rim.