Lookout Mountain Circumference Trail

Lookout Mountain Circumference Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hesitate to call this trail "easy," because my mother with knee issues would definitely struggle at certain parts of the trail. It's not difficult, however. It's much flatter than the summit trail, but is a longer distance. I think it took me about 45 minutes and this was my first time. It's very easy to get lost, but all the trails bleed back into each other eventually. You can go pretty far without seeing a 308 sign, but they pop back up eventually. One thing I did appreciate is that there is WAY less loose rock on the circumference trail than summit.

Just average if you don’t age a spur to the Summit

Great riding on the lower trails for Mountain Bikes. Not bad for beginners and moderate alike. Up the mountain would take some serious pumping.

Not too bad. I’d go again.

It was a nice hike. Easy to access. Bonus that you can take dogs. I would not recommend you go on this trail if you struggle with coordination or if you get disoriented with heights because the trail sometimes gets narrow and one wrong step you could slide pretty badly down a steep hill.

The trail was easy, but beautiful and definitely a little work out. There were parts with large rocks, but nothing my 11 year old sister couldn't handle. Highly recommend for a simple, fun hike or beginners

Great route

I would call this hike moderate. You can definitely get your cardio in. Lots of rocks but easy to follow.

Easy, pretty, not too crowded. Has good views, not very strenuous, but you still get decent cardio.

I would rate this moderate, rather than easy. There is a rolling incline & a lot of loose rocks to watch out for. The trails are poorly marked (so use this app!), but it is an overall great hike. It’s a little over 2 miles and it took us an hour and a half (though we stopped multiple times to take pictures).

a nice mild to moderate walk. Some areas with lots of loose rocks.

Pleasant, fairly busy on a weekday after 4 pm.

Great 2 mile hike with some challenging parts. Not too crowded during the week.

The Circumference trail is a fun and easy hike.

Kinda boring

Great hike

a good hike. I liked the Early morning

I agree with some previous reviews - the signage does get a bit confusing and I did feel lost at one point. But the terrain is varied and it was a fun hike.

Decent views of the suburbs. Trail conditions rocky, not suitable for running. Not much to look at foliage and rock formation-wise, but convenient and a nice hike overall.

There was so many extra paths, and not enough signs to figure out where you are supposed to be going. Speaking of signs, they don’t always point in the right direction, so you end up going the wrong way.

Loose rocks not that well marked

Beautiful views, although my small dog and I didn't climb to the summit, we got lost since the trail was not clearly marked. I expected to take a little over an hour, but ended up being here closer to an hour and a half, since I felt like we were going in circles. Although we got lost, it was really fun and picturesque! I'd like to come back and see if we can tackle the trail without getting lost this time.

Great running trail.

It's a beautiful view earlier in the morning to pray and praise the lord

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A cozy neighborhood hike.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

I did Lookout Mountain today. I had been there before, but probably not in a couple years. I must admit I did the circumference today. I didn't reach the top. Only up to 1,629 feet. I meant to do the summit, but just didn't find it before I found myself traipsing all the way around the mountain. A handy neighborhood hike.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Nice scenary, not over crowded, with some good inclines if you don't mind improvising. If you enter from the 16th St. entrance and go left, you can tackle some good inclines going from the upper trail from the lower trail that runs along the N and E sides of the mountain.

Doing the entire loop is a good workout, but as others have mentioned, it's not terribly high, and thus not as difficult as something like Piestewa Peak.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Go for the wildflowers. Otherwise, a bit too flat for my liking

Friday, April 07, 2017