Long Telegraph Pass Loop

Long Telegraph Pass Loop is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fortuna Foothills, Arizona that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

This hike is not beginner friendly, it involves scrambling (use of your hands) and a lot of loose scree, sometimes with exposure. The elevation gain is also significant especially during the first third of the route. That said, if you have some experience with Arizona peaks under your belt it is a great hike, that involves some route-finding (mostly following game trails) and great views over the area. It took our group 4 hours to complete the loop in Jan 2016.

Rough hike like my wife mentioned. Cairns in the beginning which made it a strenuous hike but at least we knew which way to go. This hike is doable for those that are younger and want to just go straight line to the top of Telegraph along the ridge line. Definitely not a hike for kids and I would only recommend for bigger stronger dogs use to hiking in some not so pleasant areas. The very next day we walked up Telegraph all the way to the last tower to see where the path linked up and we were not able to see a trail.

I would not recommend this trail at all. it said it was easy and kid friendly, but it definitely WAS NOT!! my husband and I tried hiking it but turned back after 3 hours of hard hiking / climbing the side of the mountain and we could no longer see where the trail went . we won't be going back to try it again

Sunday, October 04, 2015