Loma Verde and Squeeze Pen Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(133)
Saguaro National Park

Loma Verde and Squeeze Pen Loop is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Vail, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 157 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

I found a crested (or cristate) saguaro on this trail!!! Absolutely amazing to see one of these rare mutated cacti. Beautiful easy path, great scenery. Also spotted a kestrel. The app is right on. For more adventures, follow my instagram @julie_journeys

Pretty flat but beautiful

fee

Flat, quiet and scenic. All trails are clearly marked. It was a good way to relax after hiking the Tanque Verde Ridge Trail yesterday

Wonderful peaceful easy feeling- much to see

Really cool walking through the Saguaro forests but the trail doesn't have a destination per se, so there is not any one thing that stands out on the trail

Very easy trail but no bathrooms so bring plenty of water. While hiking I saw tons of birds, rabbits, deer (and a coyote on my drive to the park). Hiked the loop very fast so I added another section to my hike. Very well marked and practically no change in elevation. Took 2 hours for my 5 mile hike, trail is well marked and easy to stay on. Perfect for those who don’t want to hike upward and great for pictures. Trail had some steps but was mostly gravel/sand.

We did this trail on Sunday, June 30. It was a really nice trail but we seriously under estimated the heat & amount of water we needed to carry.. My husband & I with our two adult children got on the trail at 9:00 am but given the heat in Tucson that was too late. We were a mile & half from the end when I suffered from heat exhaustion & was dehydrated unable to continue walking. We called 911 as I wasn’t able to proceed. Our older son went to get some help & my husband & younger son stayed back with me. The rangers & paramedics were amazing as they got to us with water & electrolytes. They brought a horse with them & helped me back to the trailhead & also helped my husband & younger son walk back to the trailhead. Lesson learned for us folks from the East coast to not underestimate the heat or water requirements in this area. Despite all the hiking we have done, this one was a lesson learned experience indeed.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Mostly dirt path. Well marked. Crossed a few wash areas so definitely keep monsoons in mind if hiking at that time of year. The elevation changes are slight but usually have more of a sandy path or rock. Easy trail. Not much shade. Wear sunscreen & hats!

Sun Mar 24 2019

Loma Verde to Garwood Dam and Little Wildhorse Tank.

Sun Mar 03 2019

This 3.8 mile lollipop trail takes hikers off the beaten path of the park. There are 4 low water crossings through washes that have to be done to complete the trail due to snow runoff right now. The trail has very little elevation change. In warm weather, the trail would have been tougher for my 9 and 10 year old. We saw a 4’ Western Diamondback rattle snake just off the Loma Verde Trail before Pink Hill so be aware.

Sat Mar 31 2018

This is an easy trail for experienced hikers. It took us 1.5 hours (whereas the brochure from the visitors center estimates 2 hours). It is mostly flat and would be good for runners. We went on a sunny day around noon. We had the trail mostly to ourselves with only a few other hikers. The trail is full sun exposure so very important to have plenty of water.

ohv/off road driving