Lockett Meadow Inner Basin Loop is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This road is generally closed from late fall to early spring. Camping is available in Lockett Meadow Campground from mid-May through mid-October for $10 per night. Day use fees are $5 per vehicle. The area is accessed by a steep, narrow mountain road, which may be closed if snow still blocks the road in the spring. The area may be closed during adverse conditions including adverse winter weather or during extreme fire danger.

I got lucky with perfect conditions- the leaves were just starting to yellow and there was fresh snowfall. The road was also open- I've tried to go two times since and it's been closed so keep that in mind- if the road is closed, the 3 mile hike up past the gate to the trailhead is pretty steep. Once you're at the trailhead it's a nice easy hike most of the way. About 1/3 of the way in the trail opens up to a clearing that was, by far, the most beautiful thing I've ever seen (and I've been fortunate to visit a lot of amazing places). The fresh snow on the yellow aspens, mixed in with some big evergreens- I actually shed a few tears. I haven't been back during "typical" conditions, but if it's anything like that first encounter this is definitely worth the trip. Also to note- this trail gets super busy- we went early on a Monday and there were still a ton of people.

On 11/7/2018, I hiked from the Lockett Meadows Trailhead to the Weatherford Trail. Within 20 minutes after leaving Well #9, I hit a trail full of snow and ice all the way up up up to the Weatherford Trail Junction. I'm very happy that I brought my Kahtoola Nanospike crampons, otherwise it would have been slippery-hell!! Since then I bought the Kahtoola Microspikes and they are excellent on Ice and snow
It's 4.4 miles to the Weatherford Trail with a 2,340' elevation gain. Not counting 3 breaks, it took me 1 hour 45 minutes.

Probably the most amazing campground I’ve ever stayed at! My boyfriend and I went back in the middle of April, it wasn’t open season so it was free, only 1-2 other people up there, the drive up really wasn’t that bad because it wasn’t busy, highs in the 70s and at night got down to 38 but we love camping in the cold. The aspen trees are gorgeous. The trail is fairly easy, we had to take a few stops because we aren’t use to the altitude or the best hikers lol. Take lots of water! Saw fresh bear and mountain lion tracks on the trail!

The trail is covered in snow now which is beautiful, however most people don’t go further than 1.5 into the trail as if gets more difficult to see the trail. Also, the road to the trail is closed so that is s commitment of 3 in plus 3 miles out so be prepared to hike 8+ miles if you are doing this hike

Went there just for the trees in October. They were nice. Maybe a couple weeks late as the leaves on the floor were getting gross. I just kept hiking up though... and eventually got rewarded with an amazing view of 3 snow capped peaks!!! I was not expecting that. I went almost to the end of Inner Basin but eventually the snow on my puppy concerned me to the point of turning around.

Far- far- far too many people though.

Wonderful trail the aspen grove is amazing. Only thing is the drive up is a little harrowing. Well worth a few gray hairs getting there.

The road up to the trailhead/camp grounds is a bit bumpy and steep, but in my opinion, I've been on worse (fossil creek). You could get there in a car IN GOOD WEATHER CONDITIONS. The trailhead itself was AMAZING! Everywhere you look you'll get an amazing view especially during the fall season.

Bumpy road up to the trailhead. Beautiful spot. Took us about 3 hours with a 5 year old and multiple stops. Fairly easy walk. Majority of aspens had turned and there was snow on the ground. Beautiful. We went on 10/9.

Went 10/6 and the aspens were still greenish yellow. On 10/7 they got snow in Lockett Meadow so who knows what will happen with the leaves.

Aspens were beautiful!!

Awesome trail with some great views! go easy on the dirt road to lockett meadow, watch for other cars and you will be fine. lots of switchbacks and high altitude, bring a good amount of water!

Geourgious!

this place was amazing! great scenery, the Aspen's were breathtaking. the only issue is high volume of people but I can't complain too much cause I can see why! some what steep in places but totally worth it!

Beautiful

Closed 5/27 due to fire risk

If you plan to go to see the Aspen trees mid fall - leave by 5 am and be done before 11. The drive up can get very scary since it's one narrow road for all incoming and outgoing traffic. Parking is available and there are dimly lit restroom. Regardless, this is an absolutely breathing experience that I wouldn't trade.

Absolutely beautiful hike. I've hiked this way twice - once in the summer (end of May) & once in the fall (while the leaves were still yellow). Lockett meadow is absolutely gorgeous in the fall. Inner Basin is a cool little area which is perfect to relax & snack here. If you take the way up to Humphreys - make sure you take a nice long rest here. That hike is probably the hardest I've done up & back. I would recommend going to Weatherford trail and then stopping there or going up Humphreys the easier 6mile route!

Awsome! Hiked when the aspen trees were still yellow

Thursday, October 26, 2017

We did this 4 mile hike. Took our family a little over 2 hours. We hiked it with our two daughters. 12 & 8. They hiked it pretty good, but got a little tired toward the end. Great family hike.

Monday, October 23, 2017

I went there yesterday (10/22), I missed the leaves falling from aspens, but the trees are very cool to look! It’s a very relaxing hike. Beautiful scene.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

This was an absolutely fantastic hike for my wife and I! We arrived early in the morning (8am at the parking area in Lockett Meadow), I highly recommend this if you and your group can manage it because this trail gets so popular in the fall.
The payoff at the very top of the trail is great, views of the backside of Humphreys and another peak I don't know the name of.
Plenty of other people have excellent things to say about this trail, so I don't need to embellish it. I would reinforce with anyone going on this trail to be respectful of the trail and stay on it (don't wander), be mindful of others' space and enjoyment on the trail, and protect our natural resources.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Not an enjoyable hike for us. Maybe it was being a Sunday, but too crowded and loud. Road to trailhead was difficult in a Hyundai Tucson (very rutted & too narrow, especially with traffic). Traffic/parking at trailhead was crowded, lots of uncourteous folks driving and walking very rudely.

Trail was heavily trafficked and all uphill. Lots of loud groups yelling & talking. Map from AllTrails didn't load and track due to no phone coverage. This was a hike we won't do again.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Beautiful! A favorite!

Saturday, July 29, 2017

I would hike this trail every day if it wasn't for the fact that my buick had a difficult time getting to the location. very beautiful in the fall time and very popular

Saturday, June 17, 2017

absolutely loved It! can't wait to go back in the fall.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Trail and views are amazing, but the road is on a cliff.