Learn more

Lockett Meadow Inner Basin Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(256)
Flagstaff, Arizona

Lockett Meadow Inner Basin Loop is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.4 mi Elevation gain 839 ft Route type Loop

Wildlife

Fee

Description
Waypoints (0)

Note: This road is generally closed from late fall to early spring, so you have to walk up to 3 miles to get to the trailhead. Camping is available in Lockett Meadow Campground from mid-May through mid-October for $10 per night. Day use fees are $5 per vehicle. The area is accessed by a steep, narrow mountain road, which may be closed if snow still blocks the road in the spring. The area may be closed during adverse conditions including adverse winter weather or during extreme fire danger.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (256)
Photos (306)
Recordings (199)
Completed (502)
Christina Triplett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jul 09 2020
HikingBlowdownBugsRocky

Love Lockett meadow! Lots of bugs in July but good hike for kids and dogs

View Christina's Recording
James Curry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 07 2020

So mannnyyy Aspens,alot of fun not very difficult though this trail turns into more than a few other if you're looking for more of a challenge. Keep in mind if you're camping over night the fee is $18 dollars! I'd suggest staying a night or two and explore the few trails that are here.

Jeremy Ecton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
Hiking

Amazing trail, I actually took this up to Doyle peak. Got some amazing views of the San Francisco peaks on top. I recorded some of the hike in 4k. You can view it here for reference: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoFCcB03vM-nepESoPJ4KvA

Joshua Pollock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingBugs

Beautiful. The spigot for water is currently closed sadly. Took the fire road down instead of coming back the way we came, highly recommend. Constant uphill and pretty shady until the last mile where it became patchy on shade and a little gravely. Lots of bugs, recommend some bug spray. Push all the way up to Raspberry Spring, it’s well worth seeing the entire Inner Basin.

View Joshua's Recording
Melanie Hoang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 07 2020
Hiking

The gate was still closed today (06/07/2020). We hiked up the 3 miles to get to the trailhead like the others. The road wasn’t as steep as the others said though, very doable. The actual loop trail provided lots of shade. My friend and I hiked on a day that was windy and we ate some dirt/sand but it was beautiful. We thought the meadow was going to be within the loop trail but it was actually right before the trailhead. We clocked in 10.7 miles and took us well over 5 hours, but we also stopped a lot along the way to take photos.

View Melanie's Recording
Cara P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 04 2020
Hiking

Did this trail yesterday (6/3/2020). Gate is closed. We parked at the gate and hiked up the 3 mile road. Took about 1 hour to get to the trailhead. Only saw a few people on the trail after we’d been hiking for about 2 hours.

K. S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 30 2020
Hiking

I went about four days ago.The gate was still locked. The 3 miles you have to hike to get to the trail head are pretty steep. I was definitely not prepared because I haven’t hiked in that altitude but I made it. Once you get to the trail head it’s amazing and magical. The views are spectacular.

MaryEllen Candra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 28 2020
Hiking

Simply amazing in the fall. It’s a sea of golden aspens but go early as parking is limited. Rangers will stop traffic and only let a car go up when one comes down. Steep drive so be prepared. A favorite hike!!!! Easy hike, too!

Nicole Ruiz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 27 2020
HikingClosedNo shade

The gate was still closed for the road, but the forest road is small gravel we parked our car at the gate and hiked 3 miles up. We took about 4/5 breaks but took us 1:15min to get to the meadow. We were the only two people there for 4 hours, we had lunch at one of the picnic tables to refuel and hiked inner basin trail. The trees and trail were amazing, it was cool in the shade (sweater needed) and nice in the sun (tank only). My friend fell in love with the aspen trees and wants to camp there this summer. The website says tentatively opening June 5th, 2020 but look for updates and changes due to pandemic. Even with the road closed, the day was perfect; I would def hike the 3 miles up again to have lunch in the meadow. One of my favorite places in AZ. Hiked 5-21-20.

D Andrews
Hiking

Did this hike on Friday, 5-22. Road to the trail was closed and inclines all the way. Totally worth it when you get to the trail! The aspens were beautiful and I can only imagine how it would look in the fall. Looks like some great campsites at the trailhead area once the road opens.

G Bern H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 26 2020
Hiking

We hiked this trail late yesterday afternoon and as previously mentioned you must park and hike three miles to get to the trailhead. It's a rocky road but the hike to the trailhead offers some nice views. It is an incline pretty much all the way to the trailhead so the return trip after the hike is all downhill. The southern trail (Inner Basin trail) on the loop is awesome and it's a nice, well maintained path through the Aspen trees. The northern trail of the loop is not maintained nor used very much. I would recommend hiking the southern trail to the Waterline Road and then turn around and hike the southern trail back to the trailhead. It's a much more beautiful hike through a remarkable area. The hike took us 3.5 hours total but that was without a lunch break.

Nicole Achenbach
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 24 2020
HikingRocky

We parked outside the gate and did the extra 3 miles up to the trailhead. Took us 4 hours to compete the 11 miles total. Beautiful views of the mountains and a steady incline (total 2,300 ft elevation gain) up to the trailhead and the Aspen meadow loop. The sound of the wind blowing through aspen leaves with no one around was well worth it!

View Nicole's Recording
Gabby Valadez
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu May 21 2020

Is gate still closed?

Michelle Dillon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 13 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail, especially in the actual basin with all the aspen trees. I can see why this area is super popular in the fall! Unfortunately the gate at the road is still closed, so that added an extra 3 miles of uphill hiking.

View Michelle's Recording
Juan Carlo San Juan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Apr 30 2020
HikingMuddySnow

Beautiful trail. I just wish they opened the darn roads to get to the trailhead. Seeing as there’s no snow in the main road I don’t see why they still kept it closed. I don’t mind hiking into the trailhead but I could’ve had more time to finish the hike if the road was open.

Angela B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 16 2020
ClosedIcyMuddySnow

Parked at beginning of Lockett Meadow Road due to road closure and walked 3 miles to Lockett Meadow. Patches of snow with a bit of mud but a beautiful walk to the meadow which was all snow-covered. Attempted to hike up the Inner Basin Trail and turned back halfway due to knee deep snow post holing. Gorgeous views, Aspens and Ponderosa pines everywhere and worth every high-energy step. Lots of bunny tracks & no people except for on the way down again. 8.9mi total hike for us.

Frederick M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jan 14 2020
Hiking

Nice loop when short on time. Trail is very rocky.

View Frederick's Recording
Lori Longino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 26 2019
Hiking

This was the first hike my husband and I have done in years. It's a relatively easy hike, but you really have to watch your step. There are a lot of rocks and roots, making it easy to trip. The fall colors are beautiful. However, I'm not quite sure we made it to the end. We stopped just past the admin buildings (approximately 9800 feet) and went back the way we came. We carried 2-3 liters of water each and had plenty. I recommend going very early in the morning as it can get crowded and parking is limited. we arrived about 8:30 a.m. and we barely found a space. When we left around 12:00, there was a line of cars waiting to get in and the rangers were starting to put up signs to turn cars away.

Betsy L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 22 2019
HikingOver grownRockyScramble

Went yesterday and it was GORGEOUS. Absolutely stunning Aspen and very lovely in general. I've seen a lot of parking warnings, so we did the canyon (lots of parking) and this on a weekday, which I think was the right call! We went clockwise, which means you're going uphill TOWARD the best of the Aspens with the sun in front of you/coming through them in the afternoon. I think that was the right call.... and honestly, doing it again, I'd have come back down that way too. The "top" part of the trail on the map is not even marked on their maps and clearly isn't being maintained, so while it's more direct it's a rocky slog over a lot of felled trees going back downhill, with what seemed like a much inferior view. We did walk up past the end of the loop to the inner basin. The resulting valley would have been gorgeous IF it hadn't been late afternoon with the sun blinding you over the picturesque part, so honestly I wouldn't have done the significant extra uphill slog had I known. OH AND - ha ha, the road up here is very rough bumpy dirt around mountain curves. We did it in our rented Impala and felt rather bad about it... so if you're thinking of doing it and renting a car, best to get a more outdoorsy one.

Krista Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Oct 20 2019
Hiking

Highly recommend for anyone trying to see fall colors. Golden aspens for days, ample photo opportunities. In peak season get there before 8:30 or the parking lot will fill and you’ll be turned around. You can hike clockwise or counterclockwise. ccw makes for an easier hike, either way isn’t too bad, it’s beautiful no matter what!

View Krista's Recording
Chris Howard
Hiking

We drove up from the east valley and arrived at 7am. There were no issues with parking. It was cool and the wind was strong. There were plenty of beautiful trees to see but this is probably the last weekend. We drove over to Snow Bowl after and found that the trees were rather full as compared to Lockett. We did the full loop which most people didn’t. The dog loved all of it!

View Chris 's Recording