Little Walking Jim Loop

moderate 4 reviews

Little Walking Jim Loop is a 5.2 mile loop trail located near New River, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 610 feet Route Type: Loop

Absolutely one of the worst hikes I have ever done, and my wife agrees. We did it counterclockwise which was probably a mistake. The first half was nice with gentle ups and downs and lovely desert vistas. At about the 2.5 mile, it turned bad for us. Trail became extremely rocky most of the way back except for the final quarter of a mile. The cairns which were abundant in the beginning (there are only two actual signs in this loop) and it was easy to go off trail. Had I not been using the AllTrails app, it would have been a real problem getting back to the parking lot. We would normally do a hike of this distance between 2 - 2.5 hours. We got to our car in almost 4.5 hours. Best part was that we saw no other hikers.

Really enjoyed this trail. It's really well marked in my opinion. If you have to choose between following the cairns or the red line on the app follow the cairns. Most of the trail was pretty smooth and there were only a few big hills. We never saw another person on the trail, but did see a bunch of feral burros a couple of times. There's not much of a trailhead to speak of, just a parking area and a gate through the fence. No bathroom, no sign, no register. Once we got 100 feet from the gate we never saw a single speck of garbage until we got back to the "trailhead". This trail was clean, well marked, scenic, generally pleasant to hike on, and there was nobody else out there. Highly recommend it.