Little Granite Mountain Loop Trail

Little Granite Mountain Loop Trail is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Prescott, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,811 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Prescott: The primary access to this trail is from the Iron Springs Road, approximately seven miles west of downtown Prescott. The trailhead is just 3.2 miles west of the turnoff to Granite Basin Lake (FR 374).

Great trail. I went CW and the views at the beginning and end were beautiful. Trail is very well maintained except around there lake where some blue ribbon helped me stay on track while bushwacking through the overgrowth. I recorded just shy of 10 miles from the parking lot.

Absolutely loved this trail! Definitely go CW (views are amazing!) and definitely give yourself plenty of time - took me right at 5 hours. Only got off-trail once due to a washout paralleling the trail, but thanks to the awesome GPS navigation in the app, was able to orient myself and get back on trail easily (though it was a little nerve-wracking since my phone was at 4% at the time). I parked off Iron Mountain Rd (or Iron... something Rd.) Spur to the loop is 1.5 miles. Loop is 9.6. Total 11.1

Great trail! I did this CW and started at iron springs rd. Easy to get to TH. You will definitely want some poles for this one. The descends are super slippery... rolling rocks. Didn’t see anyone till I hit the gate to go up granite mtn (which I didn’t do)... then I saw a few groups of seniors. Beautiful area! Saw lots and lots of bear scat today! Went on a Friday beginning of May and started at 830am. Took tons of pics which slowed me down and still finished in 5hrs. I clocked this at just over 11 mile loop. I wandered off a tad bit not much. Watch your step, it’s very easy to hop on another trail! I’m an avid hiker and this was pretty easy but I’d call it moderate for others. Has nice AEG in different segments. So you don’t get all your elevation gain at once

Creds: AllTrails Pro for accurate mileage and altitude gain. 9.6 mi. 1,808’ altitude gain. Free designated parking off Iron Springs Road. My car only one in parking lot. Started ~9:15am Sunday, 21 April 2019. Went CW around Loop. Squeeze through 2 gates. No closure signs. Awesome single track trail in excellent condition ( no landslides) and easy to follow. So don’t let gates deter you. Highly recommend going CW around loop since huge sweeping views of Prescott National Forest, beyond Chino Valley and many 280 degree mountain range views. Altitude descent significant, quick and exposed to sun . Once ‘down’ mountain, still hiking high up beautiful plateau that wraps around mountain between Little/ Granite Mountain to Granite Basin Lake. Hike back is gradual incline (mostly) and shaded (mostly) with tall green pine trees. Crossed a number of wet and dry creeks. Didn’t see anyone until 5 mi in when close to Granite Basin Lake. Saw lots of coyote scat, but no mountain lion or black bear scat. Thought PNF had over 2,200 each of these???? Hands down best views experienced so far. Can’t wait to do again!

Started as Iron Springs Road as an out and back on Little Granite Trail. definitely more incline coming back towards iron springs!

Saturday, October 06, 2018

Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Stayed at Yavapai Campground and started trail from there. It was gorgeous and the fragrance of the pines was intoxicating. We only saw 1 other person on the entire 11 mile hike — perhaps because the temps got above 90. It was a bit eerie to walk through the portion where fire had burned several years ago. One thing to watch out for trail is not marked in certain areas, and you can very easily confuse a wash for portions of the trail. Luckily our GPS worked so we could access AllTrails map. I would love to come back in the springtime when everything is in bloom.

Monday, July 09, 2018

I did this loop clockwise. The first 5ish miles were not my favorite. It was wide open and could see for a few miles, but overall I found it kind of boring. There were areas that you could still see the devastation from the fire which was sad and scary. The second half of the hike was much better and would do that again, I just don’t recommend the first half. My other hiking app logged this loop at 11.4 mi.

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Wild and tough terrain. Beautiful views'.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Tough terrain, overgrown trails, but overall a nice hike. Plenty of great views of the mountain, although no major vantage points unless you go off trail. Be sure to take the left side around first.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Little Granite Mnt. summit is worth going to besides the fact there is no trail. The s/w side of mountain is best route up. Fantastic, direct views of Granite Mnt. all over the top. There is a surprise up there if you venture.

Thursday, October 04, 2018