Little Horse Trail

Little Horse Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from The junction of Routes 89A and 179 in Sedona: Take 179 south 3.6 miles to a paved turnout and trailhead parking on the left (east) at milepost 309.8, .2 miles south of the entrance to the United Methodist Church.

Nice hike. Great scenery. Whole families can take this hike

Beautiful Easy / Moderate Trail. When we returned home from our trip, I found that I had taken the most pictures on this Trail. It seemed like every 50 feet I was stopping to take another picture. I think this Trail is a little under-rated in some books. When I was reaching the Trails in the area before our trip, this one didn't come up that often on people's best list. It's on mine for sure!!

Easy trail with some of the best views in Sedona. with many connections to other trails there is opportunity for a day full of hiking starting off of little horse.

A decent hike I just wish the views were a bit better!

Beautiful trail. When you pass the sign for chapel, keep going until you reach the top of the bold rock. Amazing views

beautiful hike to get a feel for the scenery in sedona. I recommend adding on the chapel trail to extend the hike and get to see the chapel without having to fight for parking.

We ended up connecting to several trails, not just Little Horse.

ABOUT THE TRAIL
We did an easy loop (about 3 miles total) with some minor climbing and a TON of options for connecting trails to keep it interesting. Our route this time was Little Horse Trail to Bell Rock Pathway to Bail Trail to Llama Trail, ending back at the Little Horse Trail. The trails are extremely well marked and some of the trail markers have maps printed on them. Trails feature red rock and trees all the way through.

ABOUT THE VIEW
Views of cathedral rock, bell rock, and others are lovely. These trails weave around and through the mountains.

STUFF TO KNOW
There is a parking lot, restroom facilities, and a large map of the trails at the trailhead. We went over the Thanksgiving weekend and it was BUSY. The parking lot was full. The great thing is that there are quite a few trails so we only ran into people a few times. There were a lot of mountain bikers, all of whom were polite. This hike requires a Red Rock pass - obtainable from many gas stations or there is a machine at the trailhead. $5 for one day, $15 for the week.