Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Lees Ferry and Spencer Trail Lookout

Lees Ferry and Spencer Trail Lookout is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Page, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Historic district, ruins, canyon, Colorado River, shipwreck John D. Lee -- one of the perpetrators of the Mountain Meadows Massacre -- was exiled here to serve as the operator of the only crossing servicing the Arizona Strip. This trail takes you through the historic town of Lees Ferry, past a steamship wreck, and along the upper reaches of the Grand Canyon. Expect no shade along this route. You'll spot plenty of rusting equipment and sandstone ruins left by Lee, a mining company, and various drifters. Magnified by its proximity, the Colorado River -- which seems green from the rims -- flows deep blue indigo. Be sure to visit the Navajo Bridges, the steel spans that replaced the primitive ferry at this point.

Tough hike! really enjoyed it. Take a lunch and enjoy the view at the top. Not crowded at all !

Just pushed it up and down in 3.5 hours. 8y/o and a 15 y/o did it with no problem. There was a rock fall along the way, so pay attention. These pieces cleaved off in the 300# range. Other than that, top 5 hikes of all time. You will work for it.

A strenuous incline that leads you to the top of a breathtaking view of the Colorado River, Vermilion Cliffs and the Eco Cliffs. This hike consists of major switchbacks that span a 700 foot vertical rock wall.

Wonderful hike! Seemed longer than 4 miles, it was definitely “hard” but not impossible by any means. Leave time to explore around up top!

10000 times better thand Horseshoe Bend! Alone in the trail! 3 hours with a snack break and enjoying the view!

1.45 hours to top

I didn't see any mining equipment on the way up. Most of the old stuff was near the old town. The hike up wasn't too bad. A few small places of exposure. I'm afriad of ledges but still made it. Views are wonderful. A little like Horseshoe Bend, though a much harder hike, thus no people! View to myself. For more info a pics, visit http://etbtravelphotography.com/blog (top things to do around page)

We went up there on thanksgiving day, my 8 y/o daughter did great without any issues, my wife is afraid of height and had a bit trouble at a couple of narrow and steep spots but she was able to manage to finish the whole trail. when on the top, great views on either side, I tried to see the horseshoe bend in distance toward Page, not sure i saw it but i think it was right at the direction of the Navajo power plant, it took us about 2 hours to get up on the top and 1.5 hours to come back down, it was an overcast day so we didn't have to drink lots of water, but there's no shade so you might need get prepared in a hot season

Oh, I loved this one. I climbed it for sunset. It’s all up the canyon face with a series of switchbacks and stone stairs with some scrambling. The top has views toward Page as well as down the river. Did the hike in 2 hours keeping a pretty steady pace.

Very rewarding walk when you reach the top with great views either side. You can see along the canyon and the Colorado river. Is a tough walk to the top but if you follow AllTrails route the trail is easy to follow. Took us in total about 2.5 hours. There is plenty of parking and a toilet at the trailhead. Was mid-November and was only us and one other person on the trail.

Hike is a workout for sure and there’s no shade so bring water. The trail is easy enough to follow and offers some spectacular views.

Bring more water than you anticipate needing. This is a strenuous hike that has long portions of “stair-master” type climbs.. views are incredible once you reach the top!

Great views of the river going up and an even better view when you can see to the other side once you reach the top. A bit like horseshoe bend but without the crouds. No shelter available along the route.

Amazing quiet trail. We passed 2 other hikers on the entire hike - and he views at the top are spectacular in all directions. It’s an easy trail to follow, reasonably steep with plenty of uneven ground to cover.

Really good hike. Great workout. The river view is amazing.

Great hike, worth every minute!

A hard but nice hike to the top of the „mountain“. Did it in the afternoon with over 100F and no shade at all. Would recommend to do it in the morning... if u don’t want extrem difficulty. we were two and needed 9l of water. Was a lot of fun, because u can’t see the trail when ur going up, but there is one. Had 1h17 up and less then the half down. Not any other hikers seen on this trail :)

Awesome Hike
Easy to find
Solo hike
Didn’t see no hikers on Saturday 5.26.18

Kind of tricky to find where it starts off. We ended up in a heap of rocks to the right of the real trail at first. When we did find the real trail it was spectacular. Fairly steep, but other than not particularly challenging. The view from the top is brilliant.
We did it with a dog and it was no problem.

Looking straight up, I thought no way I can hike to the top. But I did and it’s awesome! Just take your time and rest periodically. Happy Hiking :)

Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Really love this trail. It is steep in some areas of the trail and narrowness on the trail. Take your time are you go up it’s about 1.5 to 2 hours going up the cliff. 45 minutes to an hour walking down. As you get close to the top, be careful, the last section is steep and very sandy. Other than that, the trail is adventurous and beautiful scenic view of Colorado River/Marble Canyon to the west and to the east you get to see the City of Page from a distance from the top. Very beautiful. Highly recommend this hike to anyone.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Starting before sunrise on Feb 18, it took me 2 hours to get to within 200 m of the top. It's very exposed, but starting so early meant I was. in shade. until I got back near the bottom. The views near and far are extraordinary and because the footing is unstable (rocks, pebbles, sand, slick rock) and I was hiking solo, I stopped often to ogle. Don't rush this trail. Boat sounds carry, so getting out early, you have the quiet of water, birds, and wind before the internal combustion engines harsh the mellow of the river bend.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Hard but worth it for sunrise!

Friday, November 24, 2017

great trail - STEEP - TAKE WATER

Thursday, November 23, 2017

This trail was very rough and steep, and at points erosion had worn it down to about 6 inches wide. Some areas had been reinforced to prevent further erosion, but overall the trail could use maintenance. I’m an avid hiker, but the descent back down this trail really rattled my nerves. I don’t know that I’ll do this one a second time.

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Tougher than I thought. I’m in good shape and a moderately experienced hiker and this one got me! Make it to summit in about 80 minutes. Awesome awesome summit view!! 12/10 would do again!

Friday, October 13, 2017

good day play near water and sand.

Friday, October 13, 2017

good day.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

We hiked the Spencer Trail (4.2 miles) today. Amazing views! We're 66 years old and we made it but it was strenuous for us. Wear hiking boots and bring hiking poles. Bring lots of water and food.