Lees Ferry and Spencer Trail Lookout

Lees Ferry and Spencer Trail Lookout is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Page, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Historic district, ruins, canyon, Colorado River, shipwreck John D. Lee -- one of the perpetrators of the Mountain Meadows Massacre -- was exiled here to serve as the operator of the only crossing servicing the Arizona Strip. This trail takes you through the historic town of Lees Ferry, past a steamship wreck, and along the upper reaches of the Grand Canyon. Expect no shade along this route. You'll spot plenty of rusting equipment and sandstone ruins left by Lee, a mining company, and various drifters. Magnified by its proximity, the Colorado River -- which seems green from the rims -- flows deep blue indigo. Be sure to visit the Navajo Bridges, the steel spans that replaced the primitive ferry at this point.

Tougher than I thought. I’m in good shape and a moderately experienced hiker and this one got me! Make it to summit in about 80 minutes. Awesome awesome summit view!! 12/10 would do again!

good day play near water and sand.

good day.

We hiked the Spencer Trail (4.2 miles) today. Amazing views! We're 66 years old and we made it but it was strenuous for us. Wear hiking boots and bring hiking poles. Bring lots of water and food.

This trail is rated moderate, but please know that Spencer Trail "moderate" is not comparable to Soldier Pass (AZ) "moderate" or even Grey's Arch (KY) "hard." Being In walking/running shape is not the same as being in climbing shape and I learned that fast. This trail was literally a bunch of switchbacks up the face of a cliff. I only made it about half way to the top, and yes, the view was stunning. For comparison, the friend I hiked with is 12 years younger and made it 3/4 of the way before she came back down to get me. Lol. Anyway, if you take your time, rest frequently and stay hydrated, it should be doable (we were pressed for time and climbed pretty quick). Maybe I will hit the stairclimber at the gym over the winter and try again next year. Definitely a bit treacherous in places, so caution is a must!!!

The hike was moderate, but has plenty of stretches with no inclines, so that was welcoming. Once at the top, the views are incredible. Our purpose was to hike on and find the river bend closest to the top of this hike. Looks similar to horseshoe bend.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Review for: Spencer's Trail & Spencer's Lookout

My most-memorable hike to date. It was short but goes straight uphill for a few miles: and is worth every second and every step.

The trail itself is wicked. You are essentially walking up the side of the Vermilion cliffs. It feels raw. You trample shifting and broken piles of limestone and walk along what, at times, barely resembles any trail you're probably used to. Hard to describe. You know where you're going: the path is beaten down and visible, but there are few man-made alterations and it lacks that canny resemblance of, say, a forest trail.

The top of Spencer's Trail features one of the most breath-taking scenic vistas I've personally experienced, with an epic view of the Colorado and Page (head a bit North West to the edge to get a good look at the river).

Overall, this trail is unlike other national parks. Once you're at the top of the plateau, the next amount of time and distance is up to you. You can walk north a bit, do some cliff climbing towards the southern part: there are seemingly no limits except for what you're comfortable with. That true freedom in such a magnificent, beautiful place is a rare treasure and rare experience after visiting so many heavily-controlled and exclusion-zone-riddled national parks.

Sidenote: if you climb the small plateaus/cliffs to the south east at the top of the lookout, you will find a geology survey marker. Uploaded a pic of it, and a few sick panoramas.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Pretty sure this is 3.7 miles there and back and maybe a little longer. The elevation gain is also just shy of 1700'. Its a steep 2 mile hike straight up an old mule path. It is a fun rewarding hike with some stunning views. It's a little hairy in some sections coming down so take your time. When I went the last 50-75 feet to the top was covered in sand. Leave good and early and so you have time up top to explore and relax. I would not hike this in the middle of summer. I hiked this in April 2016.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Amazing! Make sure you get to the top and check out the other side. Don't short change yourself, push to the top. I went at 6:45am and the sun was just breaching the top as i got there. Spent an hour eating lunch and still had shade about half of the way down.

Monday, April 25, 2016

I loved this trail because it was challenging. But I would definitely do it again. This was my second time attempt, the 1st attempt I started later in the day & made it 3/4 to the top but I turned around, lost sunlight. The second attempt, I started a couple hours earlier & made it to the top.

I would recommend hiking shoes with good traction, trail is treacherous be very cautious. Bring lots of water, snack for energy & a headlamp just in case it gets dark. Not a trail I would hike little kids with, also not highly recommended for dogs.

I would highly recommend this trail if your seeking a challenge. I will definitely hike it again next month.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

This is a nice trail especially on a warmer day. You're near the water and can stick your toes in (though I wouldn't advise getting much deeper than that...depending on river levels the currents is really moving). There's lots of stuff to see though not much of a hike. Be careful not to step on sand Spurs and other thorny plants especially if you take your shoes off.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Not much of a hike but a beautiful location with a bit a history.

Sunday, May 03, 2015

I really enjoyed this hike. I chose to hike by the River and the Orchard, The River trail was quiet and there were plenty of spring flowers along the trail which made it really beautiful. The trail itself is not steep but the trail is rocky, there is a lot of side stepping, and different paths. And as a must a great view of the River! The Orchard Trail is very short but fun to see with the old houses.

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Tough but doable trail. Had prepped myself hiking this trail by doing the Mesquite Trail at the White Tank Mountains (glad I did though Spencer trail grade is much steeper). I am not a fast hiker, so a nice slow steady pace got me to the top.

Trail doesn't become apparent until your actually hiking on it, otherwise from the base it looks like a bunch of rocks. Good hiking boots and hiking stick were wonders for me. Carried lots of water & snacks in backpack.

If you're going to attempt this hike during the summer I would highly recommend that you begin VERY early in the morning. Do NOT attempt to do this hike in the evening during the summer months as the heat from the rocks basking in the sun all day will overheat, if not kill, you. We hiked early in the morning and got back down before it got too hot.

Views are totally awesome and would highly recommend the hike, just be smart in your attempt.

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Wear sturdy boots! The trail is rough and should not be approached casually. Some spots are hard to determine where the trail continues so look out for stacked rock trail markers. It can be steep, but stick with it. The views along the way and at the top are spectacular! Do yourself a BIG favor and bring along a camera. These are sights you will want to take home with you.