Ladybug Trail

Ladybug Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Willcox, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This trail has beautiful views. It also has options if you want to make a shorter hike by cutting off at the junction to Turkey Flat. Of course you will either have to spot a car or hike back on the road to make a loop. You can also extend the hike by going to Bear Canyon on the south side of the summit. Again, this involves spotting a car or you have to go out and back which is a long and intense hike. It can get confusing on the top near Ladybug Peak because the trail isn’t marked well. The trail goes all the way from oak to ponderosa pine forest. It is well worth your time.

My wife and I along with my two teenage daughters hiked the 11.6 mile Ladybug Peak trail on August 13. We started around 7 am and after taking our time enjoying the scenery along with a lunch break, we finished around 3 pm.

If you are a decent hiker in pretty good shape you will be fine. It is a steady climb of over 4,000 feet from the beginning of the lower trailhead near Angle Orchard to the peak summit. You need good hiking shoes, 3 liters of water per person, sun screen, and my wife found her hiking poles to be a necessity for her.

The views throughout the trail were beautiful. At the peak you can see for miles in all directions. We are avid hikers that have hiked all over North America including Half Dome in Yosemite and we felt Ladybug Peak trail was well worth it. And yes, we did see ladybugs at the top.

Take your time and use common sense because at places the trail is obscure. A few areas have fallen trees over the trail and heavy over growth in other areas. At about 5.7 miles you will come to a split in the trail and go left. You will not be sure but right takes you to a parking lot at Swift Trail Road. I would not have known without this app.

All in all a great trail that we enjoyed. Don't be fooled however because although rated moderate, it is a pretty challenging hike.

Fun hike! my hubby and I had a blast & it was not for little kids. awesome views of both sides of the mountain period! Don't recommend for people with knee issues! Trail was a little grown up, so be careful to not lose your trail! However, overall was beautiful & reviving!

Not the best, not a lot of plant diversity and density and only one decent viewpoint along the way about 3 mi in. There are a couple cute creeks at the very start of the hike but other than that nothing to get excited about. The path is rocky and overgrown with several fallen trees across it so be careful of losing the trail.

I have only ridden the bottom half. I rate it as extreme since most of it is loose rocks. The huge storm that hit the nearby town of Safford washed away some of the dirt exposing more rocks.

Friday, July 06, 2012

Moderate trail took us 3 hours but that was including lunch and a couple of little breakes to see the views. Next time will take our time to see more of the mountain awesome trail to take 10 year olds and up on.

Friday, July 10, 2015