La Barge Boulder Canyon Loop Trail

La Barge Boulder Canyon Loop Trail is a 27.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

41 seconds ago

I attempted this backpacking route November 2017 and found La Barge Canyon to be impassable with so much debris wedged among the box canyon just short of the intersection with Calvary Trail. Luckily another hiker pointed out a path across the ridge at the southern end of Battleship Rock, which allowed me to take Boulder Canyon as an alternate. There are some beautiful pools along La Barge Canyon, but the hiking is rough over loose rock and a fair amount of boulder scrambling that can be challenging with a heavy pack. I agree with a previous poster about long pants due to the heavy brush along some sections of Boulder Canyon trail that can absolutely murder your legs. The views are amazing.

Water is quite scarce currently as it hasn't rained in 3 months. Reliable water can be found in a handful of pools in La Barge Canyon and is very tasty. Boulder Canyon, however, was dry. I found a small pool that was heavily coated with algae about 1/3 mile north of the intersection of Dutchman's trail and Peralta trail.

I am looking for the most up to date blog/chat/forum concerning hikes through here. Namely for water updates.
Any recommendations?
lancecraft@gmail.com

Great trail! Will be returning

I hiked this trail in the spring several years ago with my son, and he returned to hike it with a friend, and we talk very often about going back. The first time we saw a rattler, a desert tortoise, and mule deer; the second time he saw three gila monsters. But: the first time I also slipped on some loose rock crossing the saddle, and 5 miles into the Superstition Wilderness, where there's no cell signal, is not where you want to be with a bleeding head wound. (We saw two people all day, and they were both on the first mile of the trail.) It all worked out, but he was better prepared the next time, and I will be if we go back. It's an extraordinary hike.

Did the "La Barge Battleship Saddle Loop" (HikeAZ.com/RouteScout). 11.9 miles in 7 hours starting at 5am to mitigate heat (late May Hi 103). 2/3 was off trail and had to work for it, but you can't see some of my photo spots without it. Recommend 4/5L of water depending on time of year and full coverage clothing or you're gonna pay a high price.

Wow What a place
We did 16miles in 9hrs
Bring plenty of water and snacks to keep you going. The views are spectacular, crossing the river is a constant adventure, be prepared to get your shoes wet. Plan accordingly if you plan on completing the entire loop.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Great hike! Went from the trailhead to the creek and back in about 4 hours. There were a few climbs of moderate difficulty. The views of the canyon and the lake are amazing. Having a trekking pole was helpful. Not much shade so prepare for the sun.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

This is one of the most beautiful areas I've been to in Arizona and I was pleasantly surprised at what little traffic there was on the trail, especially this time of year. I don't recommend it during the summer as there is little shade and once you drop into the canyon the stream of boulders seems the perfect haven for rattle snakes. The Boulder Canyon Trail starts across the road from the Canyon Lake Marina parking lot and immediately ascends to the highest point of this hike in the first mile or so. Soon after, it reaches a saddle before it drops into the canyon. The trail along the canyon bottom is overgrown with bristly shrubs and cactus so I highly recommend long sleeves and pants, and an extra pair of socks in case you take a spill crossing one of the several creek crossings - lots of boulder-hopping!! I hiked approximately 8 miles in, to the junction with the Dutchman Trail and the majority was along the canyon bottom. I rated this hike as strenuous due to the climb back out of the canyon (some demanding switchbacks), especially if you're tired from all the bushwacking and boulder hopping you did along the canyon bottom. It is ALL WORTH IT!!!