La Barge Boulder Canyon Loop Trail

La Barge Boulder Canyon Loop Trail is a 27.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked this trail in the spring several years ago with my son, and he returned to hike it with a friend, and we talk very often about going back. The first time we saw a rattler, a desert tortoise, and mule deer; the second time he saw three gila monsters. But: the first time I also slipped on some loose rock crossing the saddle, and 5 miles into the Superstition Wilderness, where there's no cell signal, is not where you want to be with a bleeding head wound. (We saw two people all day, and they were both on the first mile of the trail.) It all worked out, but he was better prepared the next time, and I will be if we go back. It's an extraordinary hike.

Did the "La Barge Battleship Saddle Loop" (HikeAZ.com/RouteScout). 11.9 miles in 7 hours starting at 5am to mitigate heat (late May Hi 103). 2/3 was off trail and had to work for it, but you can't see some of my photo spots without it. Recommend 4/5L of water depending on time of year and full coverage clothing or you're gonna pay a high price.

Wow What a place
We did 16miles in 9hrs
Bring plenty of water and snacks to keep you going. The views are spectacular, crossing the river is a constant adventure, be prepared to get your shoes wet. Plan accordingly if you plan on completing the entire loop.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Great hike! Went from the trailhead to the creek and back in about 4 hours. There were a few climbs of moderate difficulty. The views of the canyon and the lake are amazing. Having a trekking pole was helpful. Not much shade so prepare for the sun.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

This is one of the most beautiful areas I've been to in Arizona and I was pleasantly surprised at what little traffic there was on the trail, especially this time of year. I don't recommend it during the summer as there is little shade and once you drop into the canyon the stream of boulders seems the perfect haven for rattle snakes. The Boulder Canyon Trail starts across the road from the Canyon Lake Marina parking lot and immediately ascends to the highest point of this hike in the first mile or so. Soon after, it reaches a saddle before it drops into the canyon. The trail along the canyon bottom is overgrown with bristly shrubs and cactus so I highly recommend long sleeves and pants, and an extra pair of socks in case you take a spill crossing one of the several creek crossings - lots of boulder-hopping!! I hiked approximately 8 miles in, to the junction with the Dutchman Trail and the majority was along the canyon bottom. I rated this hike as strenuous due to the climb back out of the canyon (some demanding switchbacks), especially if you're tired from all the bushwacking and boulder hopping you did along the canyon bottom. It is ALL WORTH IT!!!